Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best of British: Hendo's Sporting Heroes
12-11-2007, 09:20 PM,
I must declare an interest; two in fact.
First up, this book is written by my good friend Jonathan 'Jonny' Henderson (the Hendo of the title). Jon has corresponded for Reuters and a number of leading newspapers on sport for over forty years, covering five Olympics, a large number of England cricket tours and every Wimbledon tennis tournament since 1969. He is now tennis correspondent and deputy sports editor of the Observer.

Secondly all proceeds are going to JDRF. I met Jonny through the charity - he is a staunch supporter and fellow committee member on the Challenge Events Committee, instrumental in the success of the JDRF London Marathon team over the years.

OK, now my true colours are exposed let me tell you about this here tome. Or better yet, read what some of the papers have to say about it:

[SIZE="1"]Waterstones, GBP 9.99[/SIZE]

Independent on Sunday
`a super book...I recommend [it]'

Observer Sport Monthly
'...you can dip in and out without feeling as though you're doing his magnum opus an injustice'

The Browser
`Invaluable guide to gamesmanship through the ages'

Independent
`Part of the fun is disagreeing with the selections...but Hendo's arguments are as persuasive as his prose is entertaining'

Time Out London
`[Henderson's] 100 top British sportspeople shuns bias towards the present, with room for Robin Hood as well as Jonny Wilkinson'

Admirably and affordably priced at GBP 9.99 Hendo's Heroes is available from most Waterstones outlets as well as at Amazon.com. A finer stocking-filler I challenge you to find!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

12-11-2007, 11:23 PM,
Sweder Wrote:A finer stocking-filler I challenge you to find!

How about Joanna Lumley in her younger days?
Rolleyes
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
13-11-2007, 10:10 AM,
Andy Wrote:How about Joanna Lumley in her younger days?
Rolleyes
Very droll. I prefer Susan Sarandon in Rocky Horror Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph