Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone for Dosh?
21-11-2007, 02:26 PM,
Anyone for Dosh?
World number one Roger Federer beat seven-time Wimbledon champion Pete Sampras in straight sets in an exhibition match in Seoul on Tuesday. The 26-year-old Swiss star won 6-4 6-3 in 61 minutes in the first of three matches between the pair this week.

Sampras, 36, broke serve first and led 4-2 before Federer found his rhythm to win 10 of the last 13 games.

"I feel pretty good, I made it competitive, which was my goal," said Sampras afterwards. "Obviously Roger is the best player in the world and I retired five years ago. I am grateful that he invited me."

The American added: "I have no plans to come back from retirement. You have to come back for a reason."

How about a truckload of folding greenstuff Pete?
That'd be a pretty good reason, and frankly I can't think of another that would induce a retired sportsman to up sticks and sweat his way across the Asian exhibition circuit, never mind actually take up the sport in a meaningful and competitive way.

That's not to imply criticism; if there's money to be made go out there and make it. But let's not pretend this is anything more, Pete. If you've been kicking your heels for five years you're not exactly going to shock the world by battering the current world number one. I would be suprised if the Swiss master got out of second gear to cruise past his one-time idol.

Just stow the plattitudes in your well-worn suitcase and keep relieving the locals of their hard-earned. There's still matches in Kuala Lumpur and Macau to come. Don't forget to wire some of those semolians home before you hit the Hard Rock in KL or Bottoms Up in HK. You may find one or two locals ready to take some of that lolly back.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph