Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brooks Brighton 10 km
24-11-2007, 10:23 PM,
Brooks Brighton 10 km
When I woke up on Sunday 18th November, it was very early, before 6 am, I could see that it was going to be a windy cold day. However, the previous day, it had been better, a bit cloudy but not windy or too cold. I had arrived at Gatwick airport expecting to have a drink with Andy. However, Andy insisted on giving me a lift to Brighton. I tried to persuade him to just have a drink near the airport and I would take a train or coach to the seaside town but he wanted to take me to the city of Brighton. We had a good time in the car listening to the instructions that the gadget gave him since he thought it would be more interesting to go along secondary roads. I really enjoyed the landscape and the narrow roads. After getting to Brighton and thanking him for driving me there we said “see you tomorrow”. Later, I phoned Sweder and we met at his town railway station. He took me home where I met his wife, son and pets. We had a good time in their cosy house where I had a herbal tea and learnt that Israel had beaten Russia, which gave hope for England qualification. Unfortunately, they couldn´t beat or draw Croatia on Wednesday. We went to a local pub where we had a couple of pints of local beer and met Captain Tom. It is wonderful that it is forbidden to smoke in pubs. The air is so good.

On Sunday, I went for a walk early along the seafront towards the city centre. I saw the pier and other interesting places. On my way back, I went to the start and tried to help set up the arch but it was impossible. It was too windy. After having a big breakfast at the hotel, I went for another walk and reached the majestic Royal Pavilion. It is impressive. Afterwards, I went back to the race stands where I was given an envelope with my race number and chip.

I went to the race start, twenty minutes before the race where I met Sweder. We met captain Tom, who kept our bags and we went to the start. Sweder met Captain Tom´s wife and after introducing us, he looked for his position in the 45 minute group and we looked for the 55 minute group. There, I met Rockhammer. I was very glad to see him since we didn´t know if he could finally come. We started together. The first kilometre was slow since there were too many people. When we were about to turn back, I started to go a little faster and didn´t see Nigel among so many people. When I was reaching the start line again, I saw Andy. We greeted each other. It is a pity he couldn´t take part this year due to his knee injury. I went on along the sea front on my own. I saw a lot of runners from different clubs, especially the Habakkuk harriers. I tried to reach a runner who was a few metres ahead. I managed to reach one but I couldn´t keep her pace for long. Anyway, I noticed that my pace wasn´t bad. I thought I could finish under 60 minutes, especially when I reached the point where we had to turn back. I saw km 6.5. It was the first km marker I noticed. A little bit after that, I heard Rockhammer encouraging me. I went on and one kilometre ahead, Rockhammer reached me. We went along together but I decided to go a little bit faster and wave Rockhammer to catch me up. However, he seemed to say that I should go ahead but I told him I´d love to get to the finish together. Finally, we arrived together and putting his arm up. We took out the chip and got our well deserved medal. We had done 53´59´´ real time. Although I had thought it was a PB for me, I´ve seen that I did the Almería port 10 kilometre in 53 minutes last April. There, we met Sweder, who had arrived 10 minutes earlier, Captain Tom and Andy who congratulated us. We also met Roger from the Habakkuk runners who took a photo of us with several cameras.

Afterwards, we had a good time at Al Fresco Italian restaurant with Sweder´s wife and daughter, Andy´s wife, Moleyman, Sweder, Andy, Rockhammer and myself. The meal was great although it started to rain and got wet on our way to a café where Rockhammer, Andy, Sweder and I had some drinks.

After that, Rockhammer picked Sweder and me up and took me to my hotel where I collected my baggage and took us to Sweder´s house. After thanking them for their kind hospitality, Sweder took me to the railway station where I got on a train to London

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

25-11-2007, 08:34 AM,
Brooks Brighton 10 km
Eek Wow, is the second photo of Sweder's house? Cool

Well done folks. Enjoyed reading the reports. Sounds like you had a bit of authentic english weather.
25-11-2007, 06:40 PM,
Brooks Brighton 10 km
Nice report Antonio, and congratulations once again. PB or not, that was a heck of a good run on a very tough day Smile

I took advantage of another dry yet blustery day to get into the hills today.
I think you would have enoyed the run. Now we can look forward to meeting in Almería, when you have assured Mrs S that we will have good weather. Moyleman has booked his flights - I think we'll have a good group next year.

Saludos desde Lewes.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-11-2007, 08:55 PM,
Brooks Brighton 10 km
Gracias, Bierzo Baggie and Sweder.

The weather was a bit cold and windy, BB, but the rained appeared in the afternoon when we were enjoying the meal at the restaurant by the sea.

I´ll do all I can in order to have wonderful weather on the half marathon weekend. Have a good time in Amsterdam, S.

Saludos desde Almería

26-11-2007, 11:45 PM,
Brooks Brighton 10 km
Good stuff, Antonio. I hope you think it was worth the trip. Shame you had to get back to Stansted the same day.

Almeria here we come. 9 weeks to go. 13 miles -- which by a great coincidence is the precise total distance I've run in the last 8 weeks.

Not great preparation, though it's some consolation that 3.5 of them were tonight, and my knee seems to have survived. I can feel it, but it's not actually hurting me, so perhaps I'll be OK.

My main target is Boston in April, but it's good to have Almeria as a preliminary target. Hard to see where a sub-2 hour half is coming from but I've got to do better than last year.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
27-11-2007, 05:43 PM,
Brooks Brighton 10 km
I´m really glad you´re getting better, Andy. I hope you can do Almería half in January feeling confident to do Boston marathon.

Best of luck

27-11-2007, 06:37 PM,
Brooks Brighton 10 km
Well done to all of you who ran. It didn't sound like a very nice day to be running. But then, that's what makes us runners - right?

The picture reminded me of the one we take in Almeria - only one person missing out of it!

I'm still not sure about coming to Almeria in January. I just got back from Viet Nam/Cambodia and in the first steps of finding another job. I quit my job just before I left on holidays. Not a bad thing, but does put a little crimp on my spending.

Your running is going great Antonio - I would have a hard time keeping up with you I think.

Suzie
27-11-2007, 07:12 PM,
Brooks Brighton 10 km
Hiya Suzie, yes you were missed - and spoken of - in Brighton.
It would be great if you could make Almería but of course it's a whole new ballgame for you in terms of cost! At sixty dollars for a return flight we're certainly spoiled.

If not then there's always 2009. The way things are shaping up we're going to have a bumper crowd this year. Once they've sampled the delights of Almería there may be one or two more 'regulars' for future events.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

27-11-2007, 09:07 PM,
Brooks Brighton 10 km
Gracias, Suzie. It would be wonderful if you could come to Almería. We´d love to meet you here again and I´m sure you could also try to finish the half under two hours.

Best of luck with the job and everything!

Saludos desde Almería

Antonio