advice needed
27-11-2007, 08:17 PM,
advice needed
Hello everyone,

My name is john, and I have just found out I have a place in the london marathon.
Only thing is Im fifteen stone and totally unfit. I dont smoke but I do drink a bit hence the the beer belly. I applied in June when I started to jog to lose weight . But I didnt think That I would be chosen. Anyway I lost two stone and Got up to a three mile run in thirty mins,but then I got a groan strain and stopped training.I then proceded to put back on the weight I lost. What I wanted, was to ask the more experienced runners if they think that I could be fit enough to run the marathon if I start traing now. I am 43 by the way and prepared to give everything, and train hard to do this.
27-11-2007, 10:13 PM,
advice needed
Welcome John.

First things first, get along to your GP and have a general medical. make sure you're basically of sound body (obviously your mind's a bit dodgy!). Also make sure you have the right shoes for you. With a green light from the doc and good shoes you're making a great start.

At about your age and weight I started training in late January (2003) for my first London marathon (April). I didn't train particularly hard or well but managed to get round. It wasn't pretty; you'll do much better.

Some tips you might find useful:

1. Don't try to lose loads of weight super-fast. If you run regularly (3 to four times a week) up to three miles a time and don't increase your food intake you will lose weight.

2. Start with easy mileage and add on slowly. If you can manage three miles at an easy pace do that three times a week. Pick a particular day for your 'long' run. As the weeks go by increase this, again gradually. If you go for too much too soon you'll get injured and miss training/ risk going back to start.

3. Find a training schedule. You've got around 17 weeks till FLM - most schedules are 16 weeks (some are less). Runners World is a good source as is the FLM website. There are some here who advocate Hal Higdon's schedules - google Hal Higdon Marathon Training and you should get some good leads.

4. Start a diary. It's great therapy and it helps to see that mileage building up. You can start one on here if you like. It's good fun, motivates you to keep going when the weather gets rough and you'll get encouragement/ interaction/ advise from some of the runners here. We're of 'mixed ability' here but what some of us lack in performance we offset by experience Wink

5. Tag along with a local training or running group. Helps with motivation and you can pick up some good tips from other runners.

That's enough advice for one session!
There are others more experienced than I and I'm sure they'll cover any essentials I've missed out. Let us know how you get on.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

27-11-2007, 11:58 PM,
advice needed
We've got quite a lot in common, John, and I can assure it can be done.

I was about 10 pounds heavier than you and a year older when I found myself in exasctly the same position as you -- getting an entry for the FLM when I didn't expect to, and being unprepared for it.

The good news is that the calendar on Planet Sweder isn't quite the same as yours or mine. It's why he runs faster than most of us. He thinks he has less time than there really is. There are just under 20 weeks to go till the race, which is enough time.

What you need to do is follow a plan. As mentioned, the one I used was the Hal Higdon 18 week Novice Schedule. Go to http://www.halhigdon.com and read about it, and download it. Liek all marathon training plans, it starts gently and works its way up.

It recommends 4 runs per week plus the odd bit of 'cross training' which could be a bike ride or a swim. Or in my case, a walk to the pub -- though I don't recommend too much of that.

Most of the weekday runs are just 3 or 4 miles though the Wednesday one does get longer over the 18 weeks, ending up at 10 miles 3 weeks from the marathon. The really important ones are the weekend long runs. You start at 6 miles the first week, and gradually build up but with a 'stepback' week every 2 or 3 to help recovery. Over the period you build up to a 20 miler.

20 miles sounds totally impossible to a newbie, but I can assure you it can be done. Hundreds of thousands of new runners have followed these training schedules and made it round.

Sweder's right about the weight thing. Don't obsess about it. Just get into a regular running routine and the pounds will slide off. A mile of running, regardless of how fast, will use up about 100-150 calories depending on your weight. Don't lose weight in order to run; just run, and it will go.

So you've got nearly 2 weeks to go till the 18 weeks start. That's good. It means you have 2 weeks to get back a bit of fitness. A 3 mile jog every day or two over the next 2 weeks will get you feeling ready to go for the 18 week plan.

There's loads of running accessories and bits of equipment you can buy but there's only one vital thing, and that's a decent pair of shoes. Don't go to JJB Sports, go to a proper running store like Sweatshop or your local equivalent, and ask for advice. Most running shops have a footscan machine that will tell you what kind of shoes will suit you best.

I envy you. Training for my first marathon was one of the best things I ever did. I couldn't believe how those miles started building up, even though I started off being barely able to jog 3 miles. If you go to http://www.runningcommentary.net and look up 2001, you'll find my entire London training diary which may help convince you that it can be done.

In the end, I plodded round London in something over five and a half hours, but I still regard it as a great personal achievement. And that's what it's all about. It's a personal challenge. The only opponents you have in this adventure are your own fear and anxiety and doubt. Defeat those, and you'll feel like a world champion next April.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
28-11-2007, 06:58 PM,
advice needed
Thank you both for the advice, it was just what I needed to make up my mind to do this. After reading your words I took myself down to the sweatshop in dartford and bought myself a pair of running shoes.I've never took so long to buy a pair of shoes in my entire life ,and also never paid so much as well. I Hope, no Im sure they will be worth every penny. the link you gave me for the novice schedule, can I buy it anywhere coz I aint got used to the idea of putting my card details on the internet.

Many Many thanks

John
28-11-2007, 09:37 PM,
advice needed
Welcome to this friendly site, John. I´m sure that if you want and you´re lucky with injuries, you will be able to succeed in finishing London marathon. It is a hard experience but it is rewarding. I managed to do Madrid marathon in 2004 and it was very motivating to write a diary in this site so that people could encourage me. I suggest that you take it easy and you shouldn´t worry about the time you do it. Try to enjoy as much as possible.

You´re welcome to come to my home half, which could be useful as a test for the marathon and a good way to meet some forumites who are coming on the last weekend of January. It is in the southeast of Spain. You can get some more information, although it hasn´t been updated yet, in this website. http://WWW.mediomaratonalmeria.com and you can read some accounts of previous years´ gatherings in this forum as well.

Best of luck

Antonio

28-11-2007, 10:25 PM,
advice needed
John - you don't have to pay for the Hal Higdon schedule. Just go to the website and find the link to marathon plans, and you'll find the Novice schedule. If you click on the various days you'll find more detailed info. If you want it all in book form, I think his book "Marathon" pretty much describes it all, though that isn't free I'm afraid...
El Gordo

29-11-2007, 08:47 PM,
advice needed
Thank you for that, got it now.

I took out my new running shoes on a test run today. Only managed ten mins before I was knackered though. But boy did they feel so much better. I was having serious pains in my shins running in normal trainers but with these, there was no pain at all. Anyway thanks again everyone.

P.S

I like to think of myself as a mans man. You know the football (CHARLTON FC ) and lager type, but theres something about all this that brings out the emotional side of me. I hope I dont break down at the finishing line bawling like a baby.
29-11-2007, 10:03 PM,
advice needed
johnnyb Wrote:Thank you for that, got it now.

I took out my new running shoes on a test run today. Only managed ten mins before I was knackered though. But boy did they feel so much better. I was having serious pains in my shins running in normal trainers but with these, there was no pain at all. Anyway thanks again everyone.

P.S

I like to think of myself as a mans man. You know the football (CHARLTON FC ) and lager type, but theres something about all this that brings out the emotional side of me. I hope I dont break down at the finishing line bawling like a baby.

John, I hope you DO weep at the finishing line. It's a great feeling!

Just in case you didn't get it: Hal's Novice Plan
El Gordo

30-11-2007, 12:21 AM,
advice needed
I can pretty much guarantee if you're feeling emotional now you'll be bawling like a small child come the end of the race.

Still, as a committed Addick you'll know all about weeping Big Grin

Glad the new runners are working for you. After ten to twenty miles they'll be broken in and should be even more comfy.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice needed! Bierzo Baggie 6 2,528 17-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  Injury Advice Please Sheambax 7 2,514 24-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Urgent Advice Sought Plodder 4 1,713 25-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Plodder
  On-road / Off-road advice glaconman 5 2,107 13-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Last Post: El Gordo