Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drupal
01-06-2009, 06:16 PM,
Drupal
I'm thinking of going to Drupal for the main site. Drupal is a content management system (like very tarted up blogging software). I'm tryng to learn it, and this seems like a good low-pressure project to try it out on.

It will mean a change of format of the main site again, though this time I won't expect others to do anything different. I learnt my lesson last time. The forum will stay as it is.

Just mentioning it like.

Will post the URL when it's in a state to be looked at, though will remain a work in progress for some time.

In fact, I will make a URL now. No harm in people having a look. Hmmm. Let's go for www.runningcommentary.net/new. At some point in the future, when it's ready to go, I can switch it to the main URL.

In the meantime, if anyone knows anything about Drupal, do say so.... Smile
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-06-2009, 12:49 PM,
Drupal
And there I was thinking this was going to be some sort of post-beer binge lament about flaccidity. Hmph.

Looks user-friendly, which is the main concern for the reader I'd imagine.
Personally I quite liked the multiple-blog style of the other place with the pictures inserted into text etc. Agree it did seem to cook up a bubbling broth of confusion when it came to interaction/ comments/ forum activity; I seem to remember a number of people were left wandering around hopelessly lost in cyberspace for a while.

Be nice to christen the 'new' site with a big race report eh?
Something like, oh I dunno, Boston perhaps? Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

02-06-2009, 03:00 PM,
Drupal
Looks alright so far El G, I'm with Sweder 'though, I'm sure something like a report from that place where they once had tea party would enhance it's beauty no end:RFLMAO:

(Don't know much about Drupal, but the little bits that make up a raspberry are called drupelets - just another useless piece of brain clutter :-) )
Phew this is hard work !
02-06-2009, 06:37 PM,
Drupal
Don't hold your breath on the new site. It will be ages before any switch. As mentioned, it is part of a learning exercise likely to meander on for a good while.

Yeah, point taken re Boston report. It's done really, but needs a fine tune. I wiill have the report up by close of play tomorrow, though don't get too excited. The fine tune probably won't save it. It rambles a bit as it was written in tiny bits here and there in the US.

I had better print it out and pop out for a beer to read it.

Excuse me....:o
El Gordo

04-06-2009, 04:40 PM,
Drupal
El Gordo Wrote:Don't hold your breath . . . I will have the report up by close of play tomorrow, though don't get too excited.

There's lies, damned lies . . . and then there's the promise of a Boston report Big Grin

Still, I'm grilling animal flesh on the Klaus this evening avec two bottles of Timothy Taylor's Landlord purchased from my local Waitrose so I can wait another day or two.

[SIZE="1"]I'd've gone for fresh Harvey's but I've only got that 10 litre container and SP can't make it . . . [/SIZE]

04-06-2009, 10:59 PM,
Drupal
Yeah, fair enough, it's hard to type with my hands held up above my head like this.

Actually, you'd be surprised at how uncharacteristically industrious I've been, and how many frustrations I've had on the path to getting the report up.

Should I bore you with the details?

Probably not.

But it involves amazon.co.uk, the local library, two nearby pubs, and my father's finances.

Probably the weekend now.
El Gordo

05-06-2009, 02:43 PM,
Drupal
Well, it's nice to have a sense of tension before the release of a major work Big Grin

I am of course pulling your leg - I recall my own desperate attempts to hack out some kind of TOM report in the days following the race. I was still in SA, allegedly on holiday, spending every waking moment hunched over a laptop. With hindsight I'd much rather have waited a few weeks so as to revisit the frantic scribble before posting it. It'd be about seven pages shorter. No bad thing Wink

19-06-2009, 12:16 PM,
Drupal
Drupal? Yeah, been there. Nice pub. Avoid the bakery though.
Run. Just run.