Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spam messages
25-01-2008, 09:27 AM,
Spam messages
Apologies everyone, we seem to have had a lot of spam attacks recently, including a PM assault this morning from "Jeanette".

I'm trying to delete these registrations as soon as they appear but I can't keep up.

Post-Almeria, I'll upgrade the board software but until then, I'm sorry for the hassle.

El Gordo
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
25-01-2008, 04:41 PM,
Spam messages
I'm most put out - I got no PM from 'Jeanette' Sad
Perhaps 'she' has perused the site and found a few photos of me.
Shucks.

On a serious note, I'm sure it's a royal pain in the rear having to police this place.
I hope there's a relatively simple automated system out there that'll do that for you.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-01-2008, 07:00 PM,
Spam messages
I thought there already was.

Make all new members subject to a confirming email. Older versions of the VBulletin software have this facility so this version must?
25-01-2008, 07:04 PM,
Spam messages
Hey Lard, about 6pm Sunday nip down the pub and sink around 20 pints of Guinness will ya? You might even materialise in Molly's. If you don't you won't care Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-01-2008, 07:52 PM,
Spam messages
Seafront Plodder Wrote:I thought there already was.

Make all new members subject to a confirming email. Older versions of the VBulletin software have this facility so this version must?

Yeah, that happens already but these automated spam-bots are programmed to do all that stuff. Best answer is to upgrade.
El Gordo

27-01-2008, 07:38 PM,
Spam messages
I've also found in the last couple of weeks that very often (like more often than not) the RC website is "too busy" to access. Is this caused by the spambots as well? Very frustrating, it is.
Run. Just run.
28-01-2008, 09:55 AM,
Spam messages
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:I've also found in the last couple of weeks that very often (like more often than not) the RC website is "too busy" to access. Is this caused by the spambots as well? Very frustrating, it is.

I wasn't aware of that.

I'll definitely upgrade when we get back, and let's hope that will sort this problem out.
El Gordo

24-02-2008, 10:42 PM,
Spam messages
I've temporarily stopped new registrations, as the spam problem is getting bad again. If anyone reading this is trying unsuccessfully to register, please drop me a mail at andy@runningcommentary.net and I'll sort you out.
El Gordo