Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jan - A new dawn beckons
29-01-2008, 03:34 PM,
Jan - A new dawn beckons
A miserable December, out with a back injury - reduced to sleeping on a recliner for a week. Luckily some strong painkillers sorted the problem and my first year as a veteran began.

2 Sunday runs under my belt helped reduce my Xmas girth a tad, but I still went to Almeria heavy and a bit trepidatious about my chance of producing a good half and keeping my injury at bay.

We all had a cracking time with Antonio doing a brilliant job as ringmeister, helping us soak up the culture and introducing us bloggers to some of the lovely local people. I'll leave the gorier details to the likes of Ash, et al who possess the literary skills to do the weekend justice.

The race itself was a nice event with lovely weather, albeit for the poor 10k runners having to run an extra 3k. I tagged along with Ash and we churned out 5 minute K's like a metronome. Breathing was good, light - managing some conversation and banter along the way. The ol' boy kicked around 17-18k along a slight inclined stretch, I couldn't respond lagging some 250 metres as I entered the stadium and the lap finish. Relieved to be finished with no twinges, a comfortable 1:49 and my first vets race complete.

Andy, Ash, Steve and myself completed a great mountain, downhill traily run the day after which helped our stiff limbs and shifted some of the post-race lactic. We ended up in lovely Peschina for a post-run beer, which was quaint.

I finally got to sample the in/famous Molly Malone's last night and a great pint of Guinness they serve too. A light tapas, also followed by a late night feast in a local taverna polished us off and we headed to the hotel with full bellies and some fond memories of our brief stay in a lovely part of the world.

Heres to Almeria 2009.

Photos to follow

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moyleman
29-01-2008, 05:50 PM,
Jan - A new dawn beckons
As promised. I have been cropping like crazy to get them down to a reasonable size. Enjoy !!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moyleman
29-01-2008, 07:42 PM,
Jan - A new dawn beckons
Well done Moyley! 1:49 is a great effort for a first time vet - don't worry about Sweder, he's always showing off. Smile Please do have a crack at writing a race report matey - it's always great to read people's thoughts about a race.

And thanks for posting the photos so quickly - makes me really sorry I wasn't there. Maybe next year?
Run. Just run.
29-01-2008, 09:09 PM,
Jan - A new dawn beckons
Great pics MoyleMan

I don't think I mind missing the race itself; its the Guinness afterwards that I miss! I love the two Guinness shirts...

Suzie
30-01-2008, 10:18 AM,
Jan - A new dawn beckons
Don't worry Suzie, we had a couple for you Wink

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mighty May, a new dawn, part deux Moyleman 11 7,362 27-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler