Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
two oceans
26-02-2008, 05:14 AM,
two oceans
hi sweder,

can you please explain if they will calculate the 7 hours based on the timing chip net time or will it just be gun to gun (for the medal)

Since i would start right at the back, i might loose 3/4 minutes to reach the start line after the gun goes off, this might be critical time for me when i struggle to finish in the 7 hour medal time.
thanks
amit
26-02-2008, 10:13 AM,
two oceans
Hey Amit,

the seven hour limit is definitely 'gun time'. They work strictly to the finishing clock above the line. I would certainly include a 'cushion' of around five to ten minutes in your calculations. Remember that the toughest sections appear after halfway. If you are shooting for a 6:50 finish I recommend a halfway target of 3:00 to 3:10. This will allow for the climb at Chapman's Peak and the steep ascent/ walk at Constantia.

Once you have climbed Constantia Nek - kms 42 to 47 - the last 9 kilometres are both relatively easy (a lot of gentle downhill) and in the shade. This is important to bear in mind when the going gets tough in that third quarter of the race.

I have no doubt that with the right mental approach you will claim your medal.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

27-02-2008, 05:36 AM,
two oceans
hi sweder,

i am afraid of this race. do you think its a good idea to take a cab ride of the route a couple of days before the race, just to get a feel of this route, also does runners world have a pacing group for this 6:50 time ?

thanks
amit
27-02-2008, 09:17 AM,
two oceans
Hi Amit.

There will be a sub-7 bus - that's what they call a pacing group in South Africa. I rented a car and drove the route after the race but I didn't cover the whole circuit beforehand. I'm not sure what you can gain by driving the whole route other than to scare yourself further.

To succeed in your first Two Oceans you have to break the race down into sections, conquour each one as it comes. Study the route map carefully so that you recognise landmarks and towns. If you look upon the whole thing for sure it's a daunting prospect, but in sections it is entirely manageable.

Respect the distance certainly, but be assured you can take it on.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two Oceans Marathon, Cape Town Sweder 2 4,549 09-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Tales from the Two Oceans Sweder 12 10,103 10-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  April - Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon Sweder 89 82,301 28-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man