Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The plod goes on
19-03-2008, 02:29 PM,
The plod goes on
I'm still just about hanging on to some sort of training regime, despite having sciatica - the proverbial pain in the bum. This was complicated on Saturday night by some sort of painful muscle spasm in my rib cage - imagine the scene - throughout the night at about 2 minute intervals, muscle spasm occurred, pain raced down left leg and foot bent upwards at ankle in response - nothing I could do to control it, and it was b****y painful, no sleep achieved so ditched the 9 miler planned for Sunday morning, managed a very shaky three after dosing up with paracetamol and ibuprophen. Slept like a baby on Sunday night so did approx nine miles during an extended lunchtime on Monday, still with pain in the bum, but it isn't made any worse by running so I might as well!

Another 3 this lunchtime and have planned to do a 10 over the weekend, should be able to get round the half the following weekend althought I'd dearly like a following fair wind

Hat has been duly passed round the office, so should get a bit for JDRF!
Phew this is hard work !
19-03-2008, 02:47 PM,
The plod goes on
Sincere sympathies on the sciatica SW. My own tail remains perilously tender thanks to my never-ending prolapsed disc. I'd kinda hoped this sort of nonsense might've waited at least until after my mid-life crisis. Ho hum.

Funny how running doesn't seem to make these things worse. Sitting down, however, is a nightmare.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

19-03-2008, 03:01 PM,
The plod goes on
Prolapsed disk sounds much more serious and more painful. I thoroughly agree about the sitting down, that must have been a nightmare for you on the plane:-(

I had sciatica that lasted for about 18 months a few years ago and it eventually went when I upped the time spent swimming, just haven't got the time to do that at the mo 'though.
Phew this is hard work !
25-03-2008, 02:08 PM,
The plod goes on
Strange - I did a quick update to my plods for the Easter weekend yesterday evening after I replied to Amit's brilliant result, but it seems to be missing? Maybe the run in the wind snow and hail was a mirage? Maybe it wasn't so cold that I had to return home to put on running jacket and a hat after a couple of miles to avoid hypothermia? Maybe I didn't cover approx 10 miles and then sink into a beuatifully hot bath on Saturday afternoon - Funny, I could have sworn I did, and a few more miles on the treddy at the gym yesterday. I was using my new laptop with the TMobile dongle, perhaps it just "dongled out"?
Phew this is hard work !
27-03-2008, 04:39 PM,
The plod goes on
Very refreshing to get out for a steady 3 miler this lunchtime, felt comfortable and the impending storm clouds kindly held on to their watery contents until I had returned.

Best thing about running from work is the most excellent hot showers ,they are really geezer strong, it was bliss on the poor old back. Unless I do a little on the tready at the gym tomorrow night that will be it until I (gulp) start the half on Sunday. Just have to remember to get up, how unfortunate that the clocks go foward the night before, it'll feel like running at the crack of dawn to me, I'm not known for early rising (can stay the pace all night 'though).
Phew this is hard work !
27-03-2008, 08:55 PM,
The plod goes on
In case I don't get a chance between now and then good luck for Sunday.
I'll be with you in spirit, albeit out in the Sussex hills.

28-03-2008, 09:09 AM,
The plod goes on
Sorry SW, I seem to have missed your last few posts. I'll push you up the list.

Bad news on the sciatica. I sympathise -- I've had a very painful lower back this week, but I can't work out why. It just appeared last weekend, when I bent down to put my shoes on. Damn nuisance. I'm not running at the moment but have been doing a lot of walking (about an hour a day), for which I've been wearing some old worn-out trainers. Thought I'd get away with it as it's just walking, but am now wondering whether they've caused the problem. Anyway, that's enough about me... good luck for the Half on Sunday. You've done enough of them not to need advice. You know you can do it, so just get out there and... do it. Let us know how you get on.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
31-03-2008, 10:39 AM,
The plod goes on
I survived and the weather was kind, proper report to follow.
Phew this is hard work !
31-03-2008, 12:34 PM,
The plod goes on
Well don . . . no doubt that display against the Villains gave you a boost!

The plod goes on
Well done . . . no doubt that display against the Villains gave you a boost!

The plod goes on
Well done . . . no doubt that display against the Villains gave you a boost!