Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mighty May, a new dawn, part deux
02-05-2008, 02:31 PM,
Having slumbered long enough, a 6 week break since the hard slog in on the 'Good Good Friday Run'. A all but too brief vacation in NZ -

A jet-lagged weary soul arose @ 5am and inspecting an unsightly growth in girth entered 2 marathons.

Beachy Head and Hastings in question should motivate me. 6 months to get in shape and the glorious British Summer to train through.

I can't wait.

Lets see what else is on the middling calendar - Seaford half and Bewl Water beckon.
Big Grin
Moyleman
08-05-2008, 08:15 PM,
A tough timed outing along the Hove Prom. A shade over 23 minutes clocked and an exhausted, gasping MM laid in a heap.

This is a regular outing organised by fellow 2OM marathoner Dave, my sister's fella. A great albeit sadistic way of trying to knock us into shape for summer and my impending string of Sussex races.

The cobwebs were well and truly blasted tnite and I look forward to another leg loosener this weekend after what seems a long sabbatical from my favourite pastime.
Moyleman
08-05-2008, 08:43 PM,
Good work MM. If you can do 23 min "out of shape" then you're looking mighty good!

Keep posting mate, great stuff. Smile
Run. Just run.
08-05-2008, 10:49 PM,
Good to have you back, Chris. I'll be interested in your NZ tales sometime.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
11-05-2008, 11:10 AM,
A great swelter awaited my lardy arse upon the Marina grass. I ambled up, a magnificent seven in repose waiting for moi. Capless and feeling a bit more than a little unfit, after Thurs swift time trialler, heavy leg syndrome etc.

We moved off at a comfortable lope eastward bound, despite my misgivings a beautiful morning and easy chatter with Sweder kept the cadence at a manageable pace.

The heat was strong, the Saltdean toilets couldn't come soon enough and I'd soon dowsed my brow under the cold water. We didn't dither, onwards to the climb up into Peacehaven. My breathing laboured I hung in until the wire was gained. 4 of the guys peeled off for a snake run, I didn't envy them in this heat knowing from previous experience how sapping it really is.

Just four of us left for the return leg, the suns’ fearsome rays slowly turning me into a frazzled wreck. The top had to come off, what a relief to get some air to the moobs, a dowse of water over my head. For once I was floundering in Sweder’s wake up Saltdean hill and into Rottingdean. The speedwork had obviously paid off for the fella, he lengthened the gap and I couldn’t catch him.

Into the finish I ambled, cajoling my laboured brain and body into the home straight.
We had worked hard in the mad dog sun, what a relief to bank that one. Slow progress I feel is the order of the day.

No time or distance recorded – the Garmin died on me, the run has been measured at 12k. Time guestimate about an Hour and 10 mins.

Off to the pub later – 1 pint mind and lunch to catch the football climax. A perfect day.
11-05-2008, 12:03 PM,
Sweder outrunning Moyleman? Hmmm, something odd is afoot.

And I want people to stop apologising for drinking beer. It's making me nervous. Big Grin
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
15-05-2008, 08:15 PM,
A nice little jaunt this evening with my sis - Camilla

We went over her 1st leg in the forthcoming South Downs Relay. Also 3rd leg in on this 18 leg wonder that travails our stunning countryside.

We alighted at Firle Beacon, bringing back memories of a dodgy calf from the 20k in September. Thankfully we didn’t have to run up/down this monster.

We headed eastward along to Bo Peep, just above Selmeston on the A27. Another quiet small country car park atop the downs, nearly 2 miles into the run – this being the start of her leg we turned around and headed west along the route she has to traverse.
A steady undulating path back along the top, stunning views either side even though it was overcast – down to Newhaven, southward. Northward lay Lewes and the A27.

Roughly halfway along her leg, 2 phone masts and later another stone marker. Reeling off distance and time from my lovely Garmin, giving her an accurate idea of what was in store.
We shared a nice isotonic mix, a new affair that Cam supplied – can’t remember the name. I will have to investigate further – she works for a sports nutrition company, I need to get my hands on some supplies.

Finally we came to the last brow and a steep descent to the A26, a rivulet of water running parallel, the Ouse I think. Espying the finishing point for her leg, we sharply about turned, not wishing to descend fully and have to struggle back up the incline.
I stretched my legs on the way back, wishing to test my lungs out and put in just over a 7 min mile. Felt fine and it was great to breath in clean air and finish with a flourish. A creamy lemon recovery bar awaited me for the drive back, nice!!

Attached Files
.jpg   My Activities 15-05-2008.jpg (Size: 85.56 KB / Downloads: 47)
Moyleman
15-05-2008, 08:40 PM,
Nice one, Moyley ... looks like you're shaping up very nicely, and very fast. Well done!
Run. Just run.
18-05-2008, 12:23 PM,
A tough 10 miler today under a hesitant sky, the sun not quite peeping out from its’ cloudy blanket.
A good crowd awaited the Marina start – despite all the spring marathons being over. We headed out, content with a modest pace to the Saltdean toilets. This has always been a hurdle to me to get that breathing settled and to start enjoying the run. The break at the toilets doesn’t really help, apart from enabling last minute ablutions before we get into the Downs proper.

Telscombe Tye hit us with a stiff headwind, pace at a crawl we eked our way up there. The field turnoff and relief at the farmhouse couldn’t come soon enough. I was particularly struggling with any ascents today, ruing the lapse in training.

We came at last to the lovely sprawling field descent back into Saltdean, the legs free at last. Here we could at last get some conversation going, one of the guys coming from Reading and a regular with the club there. Myself and Sweder recounting our dearest Reading ally “Do you know El Gord we chimed”. No it didn’t quite come over like that, but he knew of the lovely canal routes close by and had done the Reading half. A fell runner by repute and a half decent runner by his modest accounts.

I hung onto everybody’s tails going up Lustrell’s vale, a particularly tough ascent up to Whiteway Lane, which drops back into Rottingdean. This is a great little horse track back, which gets the leg’s ticking over. Up and over Windmill Hill, the panorama to the sea opening up, back to the Marina and our finish, a couple of miles off.

We were caught by some fellow JSJer’s out on a long one. Kevin I know from way back, collared me for this year’s annual 24 hour run in aid of Cancer Research. I agreed to do an hour providing it was at a sensible time as I have the Seaford half the next day. Last year it was a 300m loop, a bit tedious for an hour, but all for a good cause. These guys finished at Ovingdean, leaving just 4 of us to head for the Marina and the long trek in.

Despite the hills it was great to bank that one and a small step up towards my half marathon goal. Next week a snake run beckons.

Attached Files
.jpg   Famous Residences 18-05-2008.jpg (Size: 72.96 KB / Downloads: 43)
Moyleman
18-05-2008, 07:38 PM,
Well done, M. I wish could go with all of you one Sunday and go for a run in the Downs.

Beautiful view of Brighton and its surroundings, which reminds me of the weekend I spent there in November taking part at the 10 km race and having a good time with all of you.

Saludos desde Almería

25-05-2008, 11:25 AM,
A lovely 12 miler including the snake. Marina -> Saltdean -> stiff climb up to a 2 mile trail into the Snake -> Woodingdean -> East Brighton Park.

Just a foursome today Stevio, Chris and Helen. A gentle saunter over the downs in perfect conditions.
Slightly breezy keeping the body cool and slightly damp underfoot, sodden feet from the undergrowth not
hampering our pace coming in bang on 2 hours. Legs were resilient and fitness good, no chaffing today
which was a bonus.

Next Stop - Seaford half

Attached Files
.jpg   Snake, Brighton 25-05-2008.jpg (Size: 80.29 KB / Downloads: 37)
Moyleman
27-05-2008, 12:46 PM,
You've been clocking up the miles alright MM, I love the ariel mapping too. Have fun next weekend :-)
Phew this is hard work !

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jan - A new dawn beckons Moyleman 4 4,497 30-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Sweder