Rcrc?
06-05-2008, 07:36 PM,
Rcrc?
Leading on from the discussion about running vests, I've been thinking... Do we want to be a proper running club, affiliated to the ARC? (I see that our friends, the Habakkuk Harriers are members.)

I'll leave people to click the link and read about the ARC but a few advantages....

-- reduction in entry fee to ARC-permit events (not sure if this also applies to UK athletics-permit events)

-- more credibility, might attract a few more visitors

-- not expensive to join

-- would give us a new lease of life

-- would give me an excuse to screw a few quid out of people to pay for the website etc

-- er....

Disadvantages?

Thoughts?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
06-05-2008, 09:59 PM,
Rcrc?
I always list myself as 'Running Commentary' under 'Team' on race entries. One or two have kept that in the wash-up stats (Almeria for one, gawd bless 'em) but a few others have evidently sussed us out as a desperate group of unaffiliated waddling mavericks.

I'd be up for affiliation. It doesn't seem restrictive in any way, doesn't prohibit people due to lack of ability/ excess rotundness/ unsociable behaviour/ unsavory personal habits so I don't feel in any way threatened.

As for a few quid to oil these fine wheels I'm calling 'time' on EG carrying the fiscal burden - I vote that SP pays for everything Wink No, seriously, it's not enough we should inhabit this fine virtual clubhouse (in Florida no less!) the chap who sorts it all out has to cover the costs out of his own pocket? Enough! Catch a medium-sized child by the ankle, hold him/ her upside down, give them back their tabs and profelactics, keep the loose change and fire it off to

El Gordo Enterprises
1001 Collins Ave
Miami Beach, FL 33139

[SIZE="1"]Used notes, easy to carry bags only
Other running clubs are also available
Your weight can go up as well as up
The management reserve the right to refuse admission
[/SIZE]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

06-05-2008, 10:15 PM,
Rcrc?
I'm not sure you need affiliation to be a an "official" club or team unless you have AGMs and organise your own races. This is doubly relevant if you're talking about an international group like ours. I'd say save your dosh in that regard and don't worry about it at this stage.

However EG should be able to recoup his costs in maintaining the site. Not entirely sure how we do this other than ask for donations (nothing wrong with doing that but how's it going to be managed?) - or perhaps Andy you could sell your book here as a pdf download? Or something.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with making SP pay for it all. Perhaps then he would have less money to throw around in pubs and Sweder sans temptation would finally be able to lose those last few kilos?

Worth a thought! Big Grin
Run. Just run.
06-05-2008, 10:58 PM,
Rcrc?
Well, the financial outlay isn't huge in the great scheme of things, but I do like the idea of SP having to atone for his non-running sins somehow. It would do him good to relinquish just one evening's worth of Guinness to pay the annual bill.
El Gordo

07-05-2008, 10:04 AM,
Rcrc?
Bastards. The lot of you. Big Grin
08-05-2008, 08:46 AM,
Rcrc?
I'm happy to contribute some cash to the running of the site. Maybe a Paypal donation button, with a suggested annual donation for regular users, would be the way to go.

The list of race permits issued on the ARC website doesn't look particularly impressive to me; I don't tend to take much notice on race entry forms, but the affiliation discount always seems to be for UKA rather than ARC. And of course such discounts wouldn't be of any benefit to non-UK-based members, who probably make up more than 50% of RC's membership. So the only benefit of ARC affiliation that I can see is publicising RC, via the ARC site and because the name might start to appear on race results (if indeed UKA-certified races recognise ARC-affiliated clubs - and there seems no love lost between the two organisations).

Maybe publicising the site could be done better by putting in lots of appearances at events in the club vest (complete with URL). A small mark-up on the vest could also be a way of bringing in cash instead of the donation.
08-05-2008, 09:18 AM,
Rcrc?
Yep, what marathondan said.

I'd be happy to pay a premium for RC running colours if it helps with the costs.
Run. Just run.
08-05-2008, 10:52 AM,
Rcrc?
The costs aren't that big a deal.
El Gordo

08-05-2008, 10:56 AM,
Rcrc?
El Gordo Wrote:The costs aren't that big a deal.
Chaps, it looks like the annual subscription will have to be paid to the webmaster in person, in pints of Guinness... Smile

(Um, or should that be cranberry juice? Eek)
08-05-2008, 11:33 AM,
Rcrc?
I am more than happy to hand over dosh for use of the site, and would love to run in RC colours - affiliated or otherwise - could we get some FLM entries? Wink

Sorry, for lack of postings, busy time at the moment.
Phew this is hard work !
23-01-2009, 03:50 PM,
Rcrc?
I know this is an old thread, but I've only recently started looking at RC

Did RCRC ever materialise ? I went through the same process, trying to decide whether there was anything to be gained by forming R4R RC. I still haven't decided.

I probably thought of the same pros - publicity via results & vest logos, reduction in entry fees; and cons - need for 'constitution', and 'officers', and general beaurocracy.

Haven't done anything about it, but may do at some point
running4rwanda
-------------------
Helsby Half Marathon - 1:38:43
GNW Half (Blackpool) - 1:34:25
Windermere Full - 3:38:39
-------------------------------------
Running for Rwanda - the name says it all
24-01-2009, 01:57 AM,
Rcrc?
Thanks for reviving it, R4R.

I'm still keen. Nothing to do with money for the site: the financial commitment is not onerous. I just like the idea of a formal identity -- which of course people would be free not to sign up to without any penalty. Apart from devastating social ostracism.

My plan, which R4R has very neatly and unintentionally 'pre-publicised', is to bring this up on the Almeria trip next weekend. The Sunday evening, post-football, period in the bar, is my target time. People are feeling kinda post-race sentimental at that point. And more to the point, drunk.

I'll 'ave yer, yer buggers......Eek
El Gordo

25-01-2009, 08:59 AM,
Rcrc?
El Gordo Wrote:I'll 'ave yer, yer buggers......Eek

I'm in.
Run. Just run.
25-01-2009, 09:26 AM,
Rcrc?
We had a chat about this at the BHTT post-run coffee session.
There's some confusion about dual membership - most of the Brighton mafia are members of B&HAC or - ack - Arena RC. I did explain membership of RCRC would not be a requirement of operating here.

Oh, and I'm in.

26-01-2009, 12:29 AM,
Rcrc?
Come on boys, I prefer my victims to put up a struggle... Eek
El Gordo

26-01-2009, 08:40 AM,
Rcrc?
No . . . where do I sign?

26-01-2009, 09:11 AM,
Rcrc?
I want to sign too ... and I'll pay in advance. And I'll get my friends to join as well.
Run. Just run.
27-01-2009, 11:08 AM,
Rcrc?
El Gordo Wrote:Come on boys, I prefer my victims to put up a struggle... Eek

I'm not in so you can bugger off El G. Big Grin
27-01-2009, 02:08 PM,
Rcrc?
I could fight you if you like El G, but I'd end up signing anyway :RFLMAO:
Phew this is hard work !
27-01-2009, 11:51 PM,
Rcrc?
I'd never join a club which would have me as a member...errr, go on then...let me know if you have any of those T-shirts left after Almeria.