Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what a rediculous amount of hype for a 10 k
13-05-2008, 03:14 PM,
"With just over a week to go now before the Bupa Great Manchester Run the excitement is building in the City for Britain's premier 10k running event, not to mention the UEFA Cup final four days before!
Don't forget, BBC TWO will be broadcasting highlights of the run from 3.45pm until 5.05pm on the Sunday afternoon, so don't forget to set your recorders if you don't think you'll be in front of a television!
In your race pack alongside your magazine, race number and chip you should also find a copy of the 'On the day' leaflet: please bring this with you on race day to help find your way around. When you go into your assembly area at the start why not leave it with your friends and family to help them find their way around?
Please do take the time now to read your Runners' Guide: the more you know about your event the better day you'll have
GOT A STORY FOR THE BBC?
There are so many different reasons for taking part in the Bupa Great Manchester Run. The BBC would love to hear from you if you have an interesting or unusual story behind your participation… who knows; it could lead to your moment of fame in the special BBC TWO highlights programme on the afternoon of the run. Click here to send your reasons. Please include your race number and a contact number within your email.
WATCH OUT... THERE ARE SOME FAMOUS FACES ABOUT!
Each year the crowds of runners and spectators alike love to spot a famous face or two taking part in the Bupa Great Manchester Run and this year there's no shortage!
Bupa Great Manchester Run regulars Jennifer James, currently starring in Dalziel and Pascoe and Tupele Dorgu, who plays Kelly Crabtree in Coronation Street, are returning again this year, along with Denise Welch who first completed the course in 2006, running with her Waterloo Road co-star Jason Done.
Hollyoaks stars are out in force with Sinead Moynihan (Beth Clement), Ricky Whittle (Calvin Valentine), Jimmy McKenna (Jack Osborne) and Ashley Taylor Dawson (Darren Osborne) all donning their running shoes on May 18th.
CHARITY VILLAGE
The Bupa Great Manchester Run Charity Village will once again be held within Manchester Central. A number of official charities will have meet and greet stands at the event. The Charity Village is open to all runners and their families; not just those running for a specific cause. Here you will find charity stands, more information about future Great Run events, as well as the opportunity for a post race massage or if you're still feeling fit, the chance to try the new Nintendo Wii Fit.
A big screen will be located outside of the charity village to show footage of runners as they finish and there will also be stands and displays from race sponsors Nike, Lucozade and Timex.
The charity village will be open from 0830 until 1400 on race day.
RACE DAY INFORMATION
The information desk is in the foyer at the Manchester Central Charity Village (formerly G-Mex). The information desk opens at 07:30 on Sunday 20 May.
However, please note that one hour before the start is not the time to solve entry, race number or chip problems so please call the Bupa Great Manchester Run on 0845 389 2200 before the day of the run. The desk will also be open on Saturday 19 May during the day from 12:00 to 17:00.
We will be emailing you next week with a final countdown and important weather report.
Best wishes
THE GREAT RUN TEAM
DISCOUNTED ENTRY TO BODY WORLDS 4 FOR ALL RUNNERS
BODY WORLDS PRE-RACE PARTY
If you're looking for a healthy alternative to a night in the pub before the big race, why not head down to the BODY WORLDS 4 Pre-Race Party at the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI), Manchester.
Gunther von Hagens' BODY WORLDS 4: The Original Exhibition of Real Human Bodies is the biggest and most-talked about exhibition Manchester has ever seen."

There were plenty of pictures too. Someone is laughing all the way to the bank, could be a bloke called Brendan whom it is rumoured used to be a runner?Rolleyes

I must have been daft to sign up for this, it's only becuase Mr SW's firm have a team that are doing it for charity. Mass meyhem is expected. I am going to sneak into his wave for the start rather than the one I have been assigned to so that I can run it with him, he needs his hand holding, I don't think he's done as much as 6 miles since we did the FLM :-)
Phew this is hard work !
13-05-2008, 03:30 PM,
Sounds like a great opportunity to flaunt the Champions: A Perfect Ten t-shirts SW Big Grin Wouldn't shock me if Sir Brendan Chunteronaboutbollocks was raking it in. He's got previous with the GNR; never mind the health & safety, lets be having your wonga! I'm not a fan; his semi-conscious ramblings for the Beeb athletics team might help struggling insomniacs but they do little for me Sad Much prefer that nice Mr Cram and his pre-Keano pro-Sunderland bias. An altogether more savoury sort.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

13-05-2008, 06:49 PM,
Might the hype not have something to do with the fact the Beeb have sod all sporting events left to cover.

err...no offence SW. Big Grin
13-05-2008, 09:48 PM,
It's not BBC blurb though. It's a missive from Planet Foster, mentioning the BBC coverage.

That's how I read it, anyway.

And yes, it's pretty extraordinary blurb for a 10K. Eek
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-05-2008, 12:11 PM,
I watched a bit of the BBC2 coverage but had to turn over. Just found it all rather embarrassing, interviewing ex-Coronation St 'stars' on their training, and charidees. The formula works for a marathon, but a 10K?

Maybe I've just become a running snob. Or (more likely) maybe I just can't stand Foster and his tireless self-promotion.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-05-2008, 02:15 PM,
will report on the actual race later:-)
Phew this is hard work !