Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2008 - June
19-06-2008, 10:15 AM,
2008 - June
Bierzo Baggie Wrote:Or watching cricket...
. . . or watching Greece defame the name of football . . . SadSadSad

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

19-06-2008, 12:40 PM,
2008 - June
Bierzo Baggie Wrote:Or watching cricket...

Not quite bull-fighting perhaps (although I think Kevin "The Skunk" Pietersen is trying to change that) but we Aussies love it ... and not just because we snot everyone else at the game... although snotting the poms does make it pretty special I will admit.

Um, no. Mostly it's because it gets you outside in the fresh air and is the perfect excuse for drinking tons of beer. And while we might not kill bulls in the process, we certainly eat them as part of any good game of cricket. After all, you can't play the game and not have a decent barbecue with it.

Sorry, I seem to be drooling.
Run. Just run.
20-06-2008, 12:11 AM,
2008 - June
Amen to that Brother BB. Big Grin
22-06-2008, 05:26 PM,
2008 - June
Interim update up.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
22-06-2008, 11:09 PM,
2008 - June
A bloody Lexus? What happened to the Ford Focus??

What an amazingly spooky run though - it's almost exactly like the running nightmare I have from time to time ... starting off in a small local race, being almost immediately last, getting injured and then becoming hopelessly lost. It's rather frightening to know that these things actually happen. Eek

Well anyhow, rotten luck mate. Look after the knee and there'll be more races yet. Trade in the Lexus key-ring for the bike helmet, eh?
Run. Just run.
23-06-2008, 07:48 AM,
2008 - June
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:A bloody Lexus? What happened to the Ford Focus??

I got middle-aged.
El Gordo

23-06-2008, 10:32 AM,
2008 - June
El Gordo Wrote:I got middle-aged.

Maybe you should be Mid Life Crisis Man?! Sad
Run. Just run.
23-06-2008, 12:14 PM,
2008 - June
Yeah, that whole Lexus thing really phased-me for a couple of seconds.

Back-in-the-day EG used to buy a car with a view to running it until it's next MOT. That silver Japanese estate was a particularly legendary shed-on-wheels as I remember. Smile

Not sure what bike you're riding EG, but if you don't have a road-bike you should consider it. There's some real second-hand bargains out there with people wanting the latest gear.
23-06-2008, 12:36 PM,
2008 - June
glaconman Wrote:Yeah, that whole Lexus thing really phased-me for a couple of seconds.

Back-in-the-day EG used to buy a car with a view to running it until it's next MOT. That silver Japanese estate was a particularly legendary shed-on-wheels as I remember. Smile

Aye, the seller wanted £95 but I beat him down to £75 plus a pint of bitter, if I recall correctly.

glaconman Wrote:Not sure what bike you're riding EG, but if you don't have a road-bike you should consider it. There's some real second-hand bargains out there with people wanting the latest gear.

The bike in the shed is a Trek hybrid of some kind, Can't remember the model. I'm sure it will do the job well once I get the tyres pumped up. Hasn't been much used in the past few.... hasn't been much used.
El Gordo

24-06-2008, 07:08 AM,
2008 - June
Andy, I found your description hilarious, especially when you lay in that field with your eyes closed. Sorry if I wasn’t meant to.

Don’t ever feel bad about coming in last. I’ve been last in the first half of a race and kids have shouted things at me. I was last but 3 once but the loudspeaker announced me as the last runner home and I lapped up all that sympathetic applause without saying anything:o And no doubt I’m one of the hot favourites to finish last in Picos this Saturday.

If you do a lot of races over a certain number of years, you pick up the occasional injury and run anyway, you get older and run anyway, you feel bad on the day and run anyway… it is inevitable that one day you will be the last one home. Keep your sense of humour (as you obviously do) and enjoy it, the alternative is not to run in races for fear of finishing last. That’s what people do here and there are great races with hardly any participation as a result. They’re all afraid of finishing last!

Keep going.. I’ll be laying off the running for a bit after Picos and I’m relying on you and MLCM to get me through the summer.
24-06-2008, 05:48 PM,
2008 - June
Well, Andy, I´m sorry you got injured again especially after being so enthusiastic about running a marathon or two in autumn. Anyway, take it easy and get better as soon as possible.

I´m afraid that I´ve been quite lazy lately but I don´t like running when it is hot and I´ve been very busy with exams, marks, etc.

Best of luck!

25-06-2008, 10:32 PM,
2008 - June
Bierzo Baggie Wrote:Andy, I found your description hilarious, especially when you lay in that field with your eyes closed. Sorry if I wasn’t meant to.

No apologies necessary, BB. The observation tickled me as much as it did you. It's just possible I'll never run another race, and if that's the case, this has the makings of a damn good story -- one I'll no doubt polish up a bit over time.

Bierzo Baggie Wrote:Don’t ever feel bad about coming in last....

.... If you do a lot of races over a certain number of years, you pick up the occasional injury and run anyway, you get older and run anyway, you feel bad on the day and run anyway… it is inevitable that one day you will be the last one home. Keep your sense of humour (as you obviously do) and enjoy it, the alternative is not to run in races for fear of finishing last. That’s what people do here and there are great races with hardly any participation as a result. They’re all afraid of finishing last!

Keep going.. I’ll be laying off the running for a bit after Picos and I’m relying on you and MLCM to get me through the summer.

Cheers mate, the encouragement is much appreciated. I didn't feel in the least bit bad about being last. When the scarlet-faced young cyclist came to wake me from my slumber in the field, I did say to him: "Let's call this a DNF. Next time you call, let them know I'm out of it."

But somehow, as I jog-walked on, I gradually became an entrant again -- I think it was becasue there was no other way of me returning to my car. I had to carry on along the tow path to get to the finish line, which was next to the car park. A bit annoying, but I didn't care.

Anyway, thanks again for the positive comments. I fear I may be coming to the end of all this, but I hope there'll be a final flourish.
El Gordo

25-06-2008, 10:35 PM,
2008 - June
anlu247 Wrote:Well, Andy, I´m sorry you got injured again especially after being so enthusiastic about running a marathon or two in autumn. Anyway, take it easy and get better as soon as possible.

I´m afraid that I´ve been quite lazy lately but I don´t like running when it is hot and I´ve been very busy with exams, marks, etc.

Best of luck!

Thanks Antonio. I find it hard to run in the cold, and even harder to run in the heat. In southern Spain, it must be even more difficult, especially when your country is in the semi-finals of Euro 2008. I hope you get through tomorrow, and teach the Germans an overdue lesson. Best of luck, old chap. Smile
El Gordo

28-06-2008, 12:07 PM,
2008 - June
El Gordo Wrote:Here's an unmissable deal, available at Boots in Nottingham. "Listerine mouthwash: £2.45 per bottle, or 2 for £5.00"

I doubted the complete truth of this, I have to admit. Until I saw these... only in the UK, it would seem. Wink

Attached Files Image(s)

Run. Just run.
28-06-2008, 12:21 PM,
2008 - June
108% pork? The Germans have conned you good and proper methinks...!

Attached Files Image(s)

Run. Just run.
28-06-2008, 01:18 PM,
2008 - June
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:I doubted the complete truth of this, I have to admit.

Eek Wash your mouth out with a glass of Piesporter Michelsberg....
El Gordo

28-06-2008, 07:47 PM,
2008 - June
El Gordo Wrote:Thanks Antonio. I find it hard to run in the cold, and even harder to run in the heat. In southern Spain, it must be even more difficult, especially when your country is in the semi-finals of Euro 2008. I hope you get through tomorrow, and teach the Germans an overdue lesson. Best of luck, old chap. Smile

Gracias, EG. It will be difficult to beat the Germans but we´ll do our best.

08-07-2008, 01:25 PM,
2008 - June
Looks like no-one wants to speak about The Post so I'll say this; good on you for taking a bold (and what seems to me a brave) decision. Like you I hope it's the right one; certainly struggling against a growing catalogue of obstacles can't be a lot of fun. I like the squash analogy; it's one I'll be keeping in mind as I look at my own future challenges.

As for Scousers I've met a few I've really liked; quick-witted, humourous and very well-informed. Generally though I'd like to see that particular part of the country chiselled loose and hauled into another, far-away segment of the galaxy :p

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

08-07-2008, 04:23 PM,
2008 - June
What a difficult decision you just made EG. Obviously your heart and body are not in the running mode right now. Maybe with time off it will change, maybe not. But do continue to participate in the Forum as I really enjoy your insights.

Speaking of Liverpool; I just found out a close friend of mine lived next door to Pete Best in Liverpool for a few years. They used to practice in his house and drive her parents and grandparents crazy. I do believe her grandfather put an end to that - after catching people using his fence as a bathroom. Interesting story I thought.

Suzie
09-07-2008, 06:30 AM,
2008 - June
Sweder Wrote:Looks like no-one wants to speak about The Post so I'll say this; good on you for taking a bold (and what seems to me a brave) decision. Like you I hope it's the right one; certainly struggling against a growing catalogue of obstacles can't be a lot of fun. I like the squash analogy; it's one I'll be keeping in mind as I look at my own future challenges.

Oh, not bold or brave at all. Just confronting the reality of the situation. It's time to break out of the cycle I'm in. I need to set the right goals, get properly fitter, then take it from there. If this means sticking to 10Ks, then so be it. If it means I stop running and do something else entirely, well that's OK too. What worked for me 3, 4, 5 year ago isn't working for me now, so I either try to stay on this losing horse or find a better one!

I wouldn't normally care too much but I do think this groove I'm in is stopping me from doing other things, so it just seems sensible to take stock and make an adjustment now.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2008/09 - Winter El Gordo 41 23,050 28-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  2008 - Autumn El Gordo 79 47,080 08-12-2008, 11:06 PM
  2008 El Gordo 4 3,513 03-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2008 - May El Gordo 18 10,105 28-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2008 - April El Gordo 21 14,127 05-05-2008, 10:19 PM