Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2008 - June
09-07-2008, 06:46 AM,
2008 - June
suzieq Wrote:What a difficult decision you just made EG. Obviously your heart and body are not in the running mode right now. Maybe with time off it will change, maybe not. But do continue to participate in the Forum as I really enjoy your insights.

Speaking of Liverpool; I just found out a close friend of mine lived next door to Pete Best in Liverpool for a few years. They used to practice in his house and drive her parents and grandparents crazy. I do believe her grandfather put an end to that - after catching people using his fence as a bathroom. Interesting story I thought.

Suzie

Not that difficult at all, Suzie, but I appreciate the sentiment. You're right -- the appetite (not to mention an injury-free capability) may or may not return. I suspect that if I manage to get fitter and lose a few pounds, the desire will come back. At the moment, running doesn't feel like the right activity so I just need to try some other things and can always drift back when I'm ready. For some reason, I've always found hot weather running very uncomfortable, so possibly it's no more than that. Maybe a summer of gym work and cycling for pleasure will give me the physical and mental strength to get going again in autumn. But I'll still be around here for sure.

Nice story about Pete Best. In Lennon's home, there's a small enclosed porch that Lennon and McCartney were forced to confine themselves to practise, and sing the hits of the day, as it was relatively soundproof. While the people I was with were elsewhere, it was impossible to avoid the temptation to shut myself in there and croon a few bars of Blue Moon, just to say that... well, you'know. The whole thing was a tremendous experience, if you like that sort of thing.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-v...w-mendips/

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-v...dallerton/
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
09-07-2008, 08:20 AM,
2008 - June
Sweder Wrote:Looks like no-one wants to speak about The Post
EG, I've been offline for a while, but as soon as the above sentence popped up in my Inbox I knew what you must have posted.

For me, the most telling sentence is "Time to revive myself with some other brew, before I think about hauling myself to my feet for another punishing round against my own overzealous ambition." Overzealous ambition - we've all been there. If you take a break, rest the injuries, and then perhaps you do feel the call of the road once more, there's no need to throw yourself into a marathon. Sure, you've found a lot of spiritual fulfilment in that distance before, but (as you suggest) there's much to be gained from 10K running.

The other thing I noticed while reading your post is the impressive "Races Past" sidebar. Put your (gouty) feet up and relive glories past for a while.

I look forward to hearing about whatever will be feeding your soul next...
09-07-2008, 11:15 AM,
2008 - June
Mate it's bloody hard to respond to a gut-wrenching post like that. I suppose the thing that has always impressed me about your writing is that it's certainly eloquent, but also incredibly honest in terms of your physical and emotional response to the sport. Whereas most writers will write to promote running, you've always blogged from the heart, telling both the good and bad of it, and that's what we all relate to here.

If it's to be that you quit the sport, so be it. All good things come to an end, and I can honestly say I've read your London and Chicago marathon training blogs many times over, and they will continue to motivate me for years to come, so it's not like you've left us in the lurch - far from it!

But I gather you English-types don't take compliments that well ("oh it was nothing really, I mean it was only 42.2 kilometres"), so maybe I'll stop there before it sounds too much like a eulogy.

I'm sad yes, but grateful too.

Thanks, mate - have one of these!

Attached Files Image(s)

Run. Just run.
10-07-2008, 02:37 AM,
2008 - June
...this doesn't let you entirely off the hook. I still want to know what those ambiguous comments about giant rhubarb were all about.
Run. Just run.
10-07-2008, 10:37 AM,
2008 - June
Steady on fellas, no obits just yet: I'm still here.... Rolleyes
El Gordo

10-07-2008, 01:38 PM,
2008 - June
El Gordo Wrote:Steady on fellas, no obits just yet: I'm still here.... Rolleyes

Even so, you'd better come clean on the rhubarb...
Run. Just run.
10-07-2008, 09:26 PM,
2008 - June
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Even so, you'd better come clean on the rhubarb...

It's on my to-do list. I even have 3 illustrative snaps, but am awaiting that "it's a clincher!" photo.
El Gordo

05-08-2008, 02:20 PM,
2008 - June
El Gordo Wrote:If this means sticking to 10Ks, then so be it. If it means I stop running and do something else entirely, well that's OK too.

Andy, there's nowt wrong with 10Ks. Personally it's my favouite distance on the road (although I've never actually run a correctly measured one).

Another thought is that as you get older you supposedly lose speed and gain stamina. Didn't a bloke called Tim who ran the West Highland Way advise you to go ultra?....OK this might be the last thing you've got in mind at the moment but there are still some extremely impressive and challenging long distance walks out there. I've said this a thousand times but the invitation to the Aquilianos, which exists as a challenging goal for both walkers and runners in both its formats, is still there.

On the same subject I went to Riazor Blueys shop last Saturday and found out why he hasn't written here for so long. The guy just hasn't had time... just look what he's been up to here EekEek
06-08-2008, 08:24 PM,
2008 - June
It must be really hard to be running for 24 hours. You have to be physically and mentally very strong. Was it at an athletics track? Well done, Riazor Blue! Besides, you went from less to more, overtaking runners every hour.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2008/09 - Winter El Gordo 41 23,049 28-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  2008 - Autumn El Gordo 79 47,074 08-12-2008, 11:06 PM
  2008 El Gordo 4 3,511 03-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2008 - May El Gordo 18 10,103 28-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2008 - April El Gordo 21 14,124 05-05-2008, 10:19 PM