Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A postcard from a familiar place
28-06-2009, 05:18 PM,
New stirrings. Almost.

http://www.runningcommentary.net#090628
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
29-06-2009, 11:06 AM,
Great to see you on a plan, EG, even if it's a long-term one. And your absence of hand-wringing over the trifling* weight gain you mentioned is also admirable.

So the idea is air-conditioned gym over the summer months, then take to the lanes once the sun gets a little lower?

For local-ish autumn challenges, I can recommend the Henley (slightly hilly) and Marlow (significantly hilly) halves in Oct / Nov. Both very pleasant events.

[SIZE="1"]------
* There's a joke there, I guess.[/SIZE]
29-06-2009, 11:51 AM,
Thanks Dan. Yes, a plan is taking place. I've been in touch with Phil Chalmers, the sports therapist who helped me a lot pre-Boston, and am waiting to hear if he thinks my goals realistic, as well as asking him for a new insight on a training regime.

That, as well as the (knowingly) slightly absurd post, is aimed at the same thing -- forcing me to get off my backside and do something. A bit of ambitious bluster helps. The plan is to start next week, even if it's just a focus on the belly and the diet for a week or two, with some walking. It's pointless pretending that I'm going to do much running in the summer, so the gym and the treadmill beckon.

I looked at Henley and Marlow, and may still consider them -- they are about the right time, though I'm also toying with the idea of Cardiff around then. We'll see. I will definitely aim for one of those, just to give me something to aim for. No PB attempts likely though. Just a reasonably comfortable half would be fine to give me some confidence before the marathon trianing starts again. Something I've learned is that it's much better to be running decent distances when you start the 18 or 20 week training programme, rather than using the training to build up those distances. It would be nice to be able to put that into practice this time.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
16-07-2009, 10:15 AM,
Good on you for getting back out there. My own comeback is on hold once more, a combination of jet-lag and Virgin Atlantic gutshot (I foolishly wolfed a dodgy egg & cheese bagel as we sank towards Gatwick and have rued that ever since). Cooler weather lurks behind the weekend so maybe ...

Happy rock-rolling.
England elected to bat so you might be watching the tourists by the time you get to the pub ; )

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph