Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Same old same..
02-03-2019, 05:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-03-2019, 11:52 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
2019 Same old same..
Running going quite well thank you very much. A short cold winter brought a few minor snow flurries to the hills which we joyfully sampled. And then February’s unseasonably warm weather followed.
Getting out 2 or 3 times a week which is good and more importantly at least one of those is a long ‘n.

The right ankle has slowly regained flexibility, I’d say it is at 85% almost a year after a particularly nasty sprain. I think a change of footwear has helped and ditching the flimsy thin soled models has smoothened the ride. Technical downhill running will be slower and more cautious as a result but my joints are applauding already.

Running accompanied also helps. I’d say that more than half of my running is now with somebody or other which was never the case before. At this stage of the game this is good in terms of motivation and in battling with the challenges faced by those of us who choose to carry on running into our 50s. I will be 50 this year by the way. They say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks but it just ain’t true you know. I’m still learning plenty from the folk I run with.

So far this year there has been road, trail, path and mountain. There has been much uphill walking too as my technique continues to improve whilst my uphill running is actually going in the opposite direction…if you get my drift.

The 2019 race season will begin tomorrow. The 21km Balboa trail run is in homage to young Chuso, its main race organizer for the first 6 editions, who tragically passed away last summer.

The Alto Sil will mark the last “official” weekend of wintertime and then comes The Pajariel Trail, The Aquilianos and more. Hopefully there will be a new race or new routes to discover but I do feel comfortable with the familiarity of all these repeated races. It’s almost like family.

Hopefully I can “manage” any minor injuries and discomforts that inevitably show up on the way and avoid the more serious ones that actually stop you from running. Running with friends and reading about the trials and tribulations of others certainly helps!  Wink
26-08-2019, 08:36 AM,
RE: 2019 Same old same..
Good to see you're still at it BB. I'm bike only at the moment, and have been for a year plus, but starting to contemplate a return to running.
26-08-2019, 03:41 PM,
Thanks for remembering me Glaconman. My last write up was in March so will have to write an update soon. Will wait for Dan to finish his marathon first!

And I’m still not 50.... yet. But I’m getting there.

Bike is the next logical step to prolong activities I suppose.

And in the meantime here’s a link to an excellent article on walking strategies for long races and on walking in general.
https://iancorless.org/2019/08/16/strate...competing/
27-08-2019, 02:00 PM,
How could I forget your great stories BB?

I'm 51 now. I guess it's just a number. Holmsey came second at Borrowdale and Burnsall (just the other week). And he's 54(?). Maybe an outlier.

I've never really done much long enough to require much walking, although some of the 3 Peaks is too steep for running.

Cycling will carry you into old age without injury. But I probably shouldn't give up on running yet.

Must get over to Dan's page to see what's going down....