Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wimpleton
01-07-2008, 08:00 PM,
Wimpleton
News from the land of LArd. Lumberin mountains of flesh mingle with Silicon Venus and Californian Man. I'm in the dark underbelly of the American nightmare.

There's little solace to be found on the local television. Hoping to catch news of Murray's astonishing redemption I found NBC's live coverage from Ladies Quarter Finals day in SW19. Naturally the focus was on the fortunes of the Williams sisters but after ten minutes I had to pull the plug. Johnny Mac, one of my favorite pundits, shamelessly joined in the bleating about Venus and Serena's 'ridiculous low ranking' and the 'appalling disrespect' shown in putting them out on court 2 yesterday. I'd venture making them play in a pasture would be entirely appropriate. They scare me.

Until today I had no view on the ladies' result. Now I sincerely hope for a Williams double dump-out (thanks to NBC for that crafty euphemism) in the semis. The absurd grunt-scream that both sisters employ would be more appropriate in Deliverance II: Return of the Pig Squealer than in the hallowed halls of Wimpleton (sic). It's intimidatory, unnecessary and, frankly, cheating. American naval-gazing one expects (it's a case of what's good for the Goose and all that) but this mega-hyped drivel would be better placed on Fox's Jingo channel :mad:

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph