Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We're laughing...
03-07-2009, 08:57 AM,
We're laughing...
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:If Murray beats him, it will be an astonishing result, but I can't help thinking you guys are letting the occasion get to you.

I don't predict a Murray win against Federer -- if they both get that far. In fact, I don't think anyone doubts that Federer is the stronger player. But I do think it would be a genuinely gripping encounter. And yes, of course, Roddick and Haas have yet to make their feelings clear on this subject.... Eek
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
03-07-2009, 09:02 AM,
We're laughing...
And Sweder is right to point out Haas as a genuine contender... he did beat the Doc in the quarters, after all.

Anyway, we'll know in a few hours which two make it to the final. Let me see now; anywhere between six and ten sets. Hmm, better make that three bottles of red, a six pack of stout and a bottle of single malt.

Big Grin
Run. Just run.
03-07-2009, 09:05 AM,
We're laughing...
Phew! Just heard Little Mickey Owen will have to undergo stringent medical tests at the Devilbowl before completing a shock move to the Rowdies.

The game'll be up when they notice that missing leg ...

[SIZE="1"]Sorry to lower the tone with football banter ... but this is a pretty remarkable story. Owen to bag title winner at Anfield? To sleep, perchance to dream ... [/SIZE]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

03-07-2009, 09:08 AM,
We're laughing...
Sweder Wrote:To sleep, perchance to dream ...

...ay, there's the rub. Perhaps we've uncovered our mysterious bard, eh?

Where is that damned Wm anyhow?
Run. Just run.
03-07-2009, 09:41 AM,
We're laughing...
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:...ay, there's the rub. Perhaps we've uncovered our mysterious bard, eh?

Where is that damned Wm anyhow?

Here I be, perchance.
03-07-2009, 10:06 AM,
We're laughing...
Ah, welcome back, Bard. You make a refreshing change from our less civilised Antipodean brethren. :o

Aye, the Owen tale provoked much inner hilarity when I heard it on R4 this morning. If he is the answer, as the old cliché goes, what the hell is the question?

Incidentally, did I mention that I am giving up all active interest in Prem and league football next season? My heart has finally left the professional game. I'm trying to decide between AFC Aldermaston and Thatcham Town. More anon.
El Gordo

03-07-2009, 10:29 AM,
We're laughing...
El Gordo Wrote:... More anon.

Ooh! Oooh! EekWink:p
I'm still haunted by that vision of Antonio post-mystery RCers identity conflab outside Molly's, cackling maniacally as he borded his taxi. Sends shivers ...

Come visit Lewes FC.
No danger of any nasty professionalism creeping in here ...

... and we have Harvey's ...

Owen. (scratched head).
OK, here goes ...

Cantona, Sherringham, Larsson ... I guess Lord Ferg has a plan.
Smacks of desperation though. Unless it's another Rafa wind-up ...

... nope, not got the stomach for football (actually that's a lie; I have the perfect belly for bare-torso'd mindless yelling).
I'd quite like to start playing (seriously senior) football again though. I miss it.

03-07-2009, 12:45 PM,
We're laughing...
El Gordo Wrote:Henman and Greg (who I spotted in a restaurant in Nottingham recently) were sort of top-of-the-Second-Division players who admirably punched above their weight, and kept us interested. But Murray is the real deal, and it feels great.

I was under the impression Henman was No 4 in the world at one stage. And was in the top 10 for about 6 years. Glad you're not writing my performance review this year EG.
03-07-2009, 01:31 PM,
We're laughing...
glaconman Wrote:I was under the impression Henman was No 4 in the world at one stage. And was in the top 10 for about 6 years. Glad you're not writing my performance review this year EG.

I seem to remember us having this discussion before. Smile

To me, Henman was the classic nearly-man. He was without doubt a top player by British standards, and certainly was in or around the top ten for a number of years, though mostly towards the bottom of that scale. Which is the point. Compared with Murray, he was a good but not great player, usually doing disproportionately well at Wimbledon. It never ever occurred to me that he might actually win it, or any other grand slam. That's not intended to be a criticism.

Murray on the other hand, I feel certain will win a big title, though Wimbledon this year may just be beyond him. I hope not, but it's hard to stop natural patriotism getting in the way of objectivity. I too have grown to like and admire Murray, especially his insouciance off the court.
El Gordo

03-07-2009, 05:10 PM,
We're laughing...
Not much to laugh about out there at the moment; Roddick taking Murray to the cleaners. Every player has a wobbly patch; this is a pretty big, flaccid acreage for the Scot Sad

03-07-2009, 05:53 PM,
We're laughing...
Roddick was immense, a colossus out there. He reached terrific heights; serve-volleying, impudent low back-hand reflexes, charging the net like Stephan Edberg ... the best man won by a street. Good luck to the American on Sunday. He will of course need it.

Murray lives to fight another day. Provided he can avoid the cerebral scarring that comes with falling at the penultimate hurdle that so afflicted Henman he'll claim his prize in time. For my part I've enjoyed it; I bought the ticket - and bought into Murray - and took the ride. And what a wild ride it was whilst it lasted.

I suppose we'll have to start referring to Scotland's Andy Murray now Wink

03-07-2009, 06:13 PM,
We're laughing...
Well done to Roddick -- he deserved it.

I'm confident Murray will pull in some major triumphs over the next couple of years though.

You're right Mr S -- I too bought into it and although the final reward was snatched away at the end, have hugely enjoyed the experience.

Now where were we? Ah yes, this stifling heat. With temps up to 30 degrees today, I'm going to try getting to the pub without collapsing with heatstroke. Wish me luck....
El Gordo

03-07-2009, 11:50 PM,
We're laughing...
Bad luck guys - Roddick's serve was too huge in the end.
Run. Just run.
04-07-2009, 09:59 AM,
We're laughing...
Let's face it, if / when Muzza wins his first Grand Slam, it's unlikely to be on grass.
04-07-2009, 12:16 PM,
We're laughing...
On a positive note Lord Ferg has signed a stunning new striking talent with which he'll terrorise the Premiership next season - huzzah! Eh? Oh ... Sad

Come on Venus (kiss of death) - the lesser of two grunters. Oh well ... those 'in the know' said it was Serena's 'turn'
Come on Lions - would be nice to see a test win, although sport rarely delivers natural justice. Remarkable. Courageous, superb: a pride of Lions
Come on Sweder - get round Bewl tomorrow without help from the St Johns ... Eek Ooh err ...

06-07-2009, 12:01 AM,
We're laughing...
Well at least it was one of those great matches destined to become a classic. Roddick was impressive, and I'm bitterly disappointed he lost, but what a contest!

Wimbledon wins again... the very best of the grand slams.
Run. Just run.