Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NoGoVember
18-11-2018, 06:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 18-11-2018, 06:08 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
NoGoVember
Soleful Days

There's been much happening that I've wanted to comment on lately, for example: it's 40 years today since the Jonestown massacre; we've had another two mass shootings in the U.S.A. in recent times, as well as another terrorist attack closer to home in Melbourne, which is seemingly becoming Australia's terrorism capital. And then also in the news there's Trump, ever more examples of global climate change disasters, and of course Brexit, with the ongoing uncertainty over Theresa May's prime ministership and whether the deal hammered out with the EU will even pass through the House of Commons. All this is too rapid and overwhelming to properly get my head around, other than to know I should probably pay less attention to the news, which is unfailingly depressing.

Instead I might just start at the bottom, with news of my feet. Talk of my feet may not sound too thrilling, but at least it doesn't come with the threat of possible nuclear catastrophe at the hands of a mad President, or the economic isolation and collapse of the United Kingdom.

So instead, here's more truly riveting news of my injured feet: a week ago I revisited my podiatrist to collect my new orthotics, hand over a rather large wad of cash, and to discuss progress, such as it is. Essentially, whilst there is slight progress, it is terribly slow, and my podiatrist suggested I may only be half-way along the path to full recovery, meaning I still have months more to go. The only alternative he gave me which might speed things was to suggest a course of expensive treatment called 'shockwave', which is some sort of sophisticated ultrasound device, but expensive as it is, he couldn't and wouldn't guarantee anything. Discussing this at work the next day it turns out one of my co-workers has actually undergone the 'shockwave' therapy and said it was not unlike having the soles of your feet tattooed, only more expensive, much more painful and with nothing much to show for it. So I decided to hold off for the moment. Call me a coward, but the whole thing sounds to me more like something Dr Fu Manchu might dream up, rather than a recognised and effective therapy.

And anyway, it may well not be necessary. I do have days when the pain is considerably reduced, and even had one whole day totally free of it which gives me some optimism, although the torment invariably returns after a good day. Overall it is true that the pain is generally less now, and so I'm reasonably confident that I'll be able to undertake a very gentle test jog - probably no more than five minutes to begin with at a very, very gentle pace - sometime soon.

Actually, this whole recovery thing is taking on a life of its own, which is perhaps unsurprising given how long it's taking. Having gotten over the fact that I can't run and that therapy and cross-training are now the norm, I forget about lost training schedules and the whole 'return to fitness' thing becomes as engrossing as any training schedule and race plan, only without a known deadline. The lack of deadline at least has the benefit of not causing anxiety over 'lost days' from the schedule and whether or not they need to be made up.

The possibility that my running days may be over - if not immediately, then as other injuries become an overwhelming obstacle - is a real and genuine fear. I'm only 57, and already a seemingly simple injury such as this makes me question whether I can really still be running well into my 80s, as has long been my goal.

We shall just have to continue the treatment and wait and see...
Run. Just run.
18-11-2018, 09:49 PM,
RE: NoGoVember
Makes you realise that there is a fair amount of luck involved in running longevity. Having said that, it's well-documented that PF is a right bugger, and takes ages to get over, but it does eventually go away. When the 80-year old you looks back at this episode, he'll recognise that you were right to be really patient and not rush back into things.

20-11-2018, 09:30 AM,
(18-11-2018, 09:49 PM)marathondan Wrote: When the 80-year old you looks back at this episode, he'll recognise that you were right to be really patient and not rush back into things.

That's the plan, Dan. There is, after all, plenty of time.

Dodgy
Run. Just run.
27-11-2018, 03:06 PM,
I'm just butting-in at a random point in proceedings and haven't read the previous posts. But if it's of any use MLCMM I've had PF twice, once on each foot. When I was a more prolific runner.

It's a very enigmatic injury, that's for sure. I came out of the other side with the following thoughts:

1. Because the fascia runs around the whole body (skull included) it may be that the plantar is a pinch-point for general fascia problems. So I had weekly deep-tissue massage to free the muscles and fascia within the whole of my lower limbs. Over a period of several months.

2. I found that even when there was pain in my heel I could go for a stop-start run. I would stop every mile and stretch the bottom of my foot for a few mins. Then repeat.

3. The only effective stretch is to put your foot on the other knee and stretch the foot by pulling the toes, en mass, towards your shin. Do for 10 seconds (x10)x3 morning, noon and night.

Other than that it seemed to be a waiting game.

And it's best just to change your focus to something else. Earlier this year I had articular cartilage issues in my left knee. And rather than sweat about it and consider surgery I just flipped to the bike and started cycling 150 miles a week.

6 months later the muscle development seems to have re-tracked the knee joint and I'm able to run again. I'm probably on borrowed time but it does highlight for me the need to balance your cardio with different types of movement because running puts such unique stresses on you body.

Hope things improve quickly.
30-11-2018, 11:12 AM,
Hey G'man! Great to hear from you ... as it happens I'm seriously thinking of transitioning to a stationary bike (the streets/traffic here freak me out too much to cycle in the real world). Whilst the plantar injury is slowly getting better, it is too slow and has set-back days of too much pain to seriously consider even a gentle return to the world of running.

Cycling might just be the ticket. Thanks for your insight!

Stay tuned.
Run. Just run.