Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
04-02-2018, 05:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2018, 05:19 PM by marathondan.)
Into the new year, and I suppose Post Marathon Maintenance Program becomes Pre Marathon Maintenance Program.

After some uninspiring slogs and putting on a few pounds over the Christmas break, I have got back into my weekly pyramid session. The bar is now set at 9:45 for the first mile, increasing to 7:45 for the last. My first two attempts at it were woeful, but as I returned to my weekly pavement route to Windsor, I was delighted to find that I was just able to squeeze out the target time at the third attempt. Brutal, but I made it. And then remarkably, the next week was a bit easier, and the following week a bit easier still. Four successes and I move the bar higher. So, it seems it is possible to keep on improving on just one well-chosen run a week.

However, I have a recurring swelling on my left heel, close to where I had a dodgy Achilles a few years back (which kept me out for a whole year). I think this stems from some runs last summer in old shoes that had a worn lining. I run, it rubs, it swells up, therefore it rubs more; vicious circle. While I'm only running once a week, a bit of ice and rest is enough to keep it at bay. But in about 3 months time I will need to up my game, and I need it completely gone by then. So, sadly, two or three weeks off for me I think, to see if it improves. A shame, as half term is coming up, and I was looking forward to getting off the beaten track a bit. Still, must look at the big picture.

Jan: 29 miles
04-02-2018, 09:51 PM,
RE: 2018
Best of luck with the heel, Dan, they can certainly be a bugger to fix, especially if it's Achilles related. Keep us posted!
Run slow, run far.
04-02-2018, 10:07 PM,
RE: 2018
I think it may be partly Achilles related. Last time around I had build up of scar tissue on the sheath around the tendon. It isn't on the tendon this time, but it's pretty damn close. May be an extension of the same scar tissue.