Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
04-02-2018, 05:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2018, 05:19 PM by marathondan.)
Into the new year, and I suppose Post Marathon Maintenance Program becomes Pre Marathon Maintenance Program.

After some uninspiring slogs and putting on a few pounds over the Christmas break, I have got back into my weekly pyramid session. The bar is now set at 9:45 for the first mile, increasing to 7:45 for the last. My first two attempts at it were woeful, but as I returned to my weekly pavement route to Windsor, I was delighted to find that I was just able to squeeze out the target time at the third attempt. Brutal, but I made it. And then remarkably, the next week was a bit easier, and the following week a bit easier still. Four successes and I move the bar higher. So, it seems it is possible to keep on improving on just one well-chosen run a week.

However, I have a recurring swelling on my left heel, close to where I had a dodgy Achilles a few years back (which kept me out for a whole year). I think this stems from some runs last summer in old shoes that had a worn lining. I run, it rubs, it swells up, therefore it rubs more; vicious circle. While I'm only running once a week, a bit of ice and rest is enough to keep it at bay. But in about 3 months time I will need to up my game, and I need it completely gone by then. So, sadly, two or three weeks off for me I think, to see if it improves. A shame, as half term is coming up, and I was looking forward to getting off the beaten track a bit. Still, must look at the big picture.

Jan: 29 miles
04-02-2018, 09:51 PM,
RE: 2018
Best of luck with the heel, Dan, they can certainly be a bugger to fix, especially if it's Achilles related. Keep us posted!
Run. Just run.
04-02-2018, 10:07 PM,
I think it may be partly Achilles related. Last time around I had build up of scar tissue on the sheath around the tendon. It isn't on the tendon this time, but it's pretty damn close. May be an extension of the same scar tissue.
08-03-2018, 08:34 PM,
Still resting the heel. Nearly 6 weeks since my last run. I think the rest is working. The test is to prod it really hard, in just the right spot. It seems a lot less tender than before. So will stick with the rest and just have to wave goodbye to a lot of the fitness I'd built up. Such is life.

Lessons learned:
1. Injuries are not big achy muscle things, the are insidious little niggles that creep up on you and suddenly refuse to go away.
2. Get off the road, stay on the grass.

Both of which I should really know at my age, but you're never too old to (re)learn.

So yes, will probably resist the urge to run till the end of the month. Then for me April is the new November, i.e. marathon warmup month. Training proper begins late May for the September marathon. Obviously a few poultry being enumerated there during incubation, but one has to assume Plan A will go ahead until the facts say otherwise.
09-03-2018, 10:10 PM,
Stay on the grass is wonderful advice, IMO

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

10-03-2018, 02:47 AM,
I'll have another crack this year as well ... hopefully with more success this time, i.e. actually getting to the goal race (hmm, sounds a little like 'the coal face' doesn't it? Probably appropriately enough, too).

Best of luck with the heel ... it sounds a bugger, but I've no doubt you'll get there.
Run. Just run.
12-03-2018, 08:19 PM,
(09-03-2018, 10:10 PM)Sweder Wrote: Stay on the grass is wonderful advice, IMO

Of course it is. That's why I repeatedly ignore it. I generally only heed the bad advice.
13-03-2018, 04:38 AM,

Run. Just run.
30-03-2018, 09:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-03-2018, 09:28 PM by marathondan.)
First tentative effort today, to see how the heel goes, and hopefully start the long path to a marathon start line in September. Just a short jaunt around the field, soggy underfoot, not nice for my road shoes. But it was good to get some air through the bellows again. On the audio, a recent podcast discovery: welcometonightvale.com. Episode 41, Cecil reports on malfunctioning walk signs that are causing hypnotic effects. But his broadcast is interrupted by messages from Intern Dana, who seems to be trapped in an alternate world in the desert beyond the city limits. She knows that she killed her doppelganger with a staple gun, but is now unsure whether she is the original Dana or the doppelganger. Think Twin Peaks, X Files, but not quite so serious.

For the first time ever, have bought some proper running socks. Nothing fancy, "More Mile", with some padded bits and shaping for left and right.
04-04-2018, 12:45 PM,
Socks are important over the longer distances, something I'd do well to remember as I clamber back on the horse.
The podcast sounds brilliant.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

04-04-2018, 01:23 PM,
(04-04-2018, 12:45 PM)Sweder Wrote: Socks are important over the longer distances, something I'd do well to remember as I clamber back on the horse.

Socks?  Pah!  Who needs 'em. 

There is more to be done
05-04-2018, 07:15 AM,
Barefoot (or sandal) marathon was for a long time on my bucket list of extreme challenges. But I have learned the hard way that, as what Hal Higdon calls a "certified Clydesdale", cushioned shoes are a must for me.

The ankle has immediately started blistering up again, although deep down it doesn't seem tender. More worrying is that the whole left peg feels a bit out of kilter. Hopefully that's just rust. Waiting for the ground to dry up - and a minor lurgy to pass - so that I can try and get some comfortable, easy offroad plods in.
05-04-2018, 10:09 AM,
Best of luck with all of that, Dan ... here's hoping it all starts to come together for you real soon.
Run. Just run.
07-04-2018, 03:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-04-2018, 03:32 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
(05-04-2018, 07:15 AM)marathondan Wrote: Barefoot (or sandal) marathon was for a long time on my bucket list of extreme challenges. But I have learned the hard way that, as what Hal Higdon calls a "certified Clydesdale", cushioned shoes are a must for me.

Right Dan, hope you don't mind me ranting off a bit on your thread..  Blush

Loved the flimsy, low drop trainers that were all the range a few years ago. Bought a couple of pairs cheap when people stopped buying them and I still use them for walking around. They feel great, like slippers and undoubtedly can make your feet stronger. After all, fell runners have always used low profile shoes because they are best for going downhill fast over irregular terrain.

But, and it’s a big but, I suspect that for regular running the fad may well have wrecked a significant percentage of the previously healthy runners who tried it. I sometimes wonder how much the multiple injury niggles I’ve had over the last couple of years may be a result of overdoing it with low drop shoes. Thin soled shoes are great, superb for zooming downhill with speed and security but for most of us this was a high risk experiment. There was a bit of skilful marketing in there too I’d say, yes Mr McDougall, you’ve got a lot to answer for!

Noticed that over the fairly technical Alto Sil course the other week the winner, Arizona Jim, one of the best rough-terrain trail runners of the moment, was wearing Hoka shoes which are anything but minimalist…
https://www.outsideonline.com/1869931/cl...st-running
07-04-2018, 04:21 PM,
(07-04-2018, 03:27 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 07:15 AM)marathondan Wrote: Barefoot (or sandal) marathon was for a long time on my bucket list of extreme challenges. But I have learned the hard way that, as what Hal Higdon calls a "certified Clydesdale", cushioned shoes are a must for me.

Noticed that over the fairly technical Alto Sil course the other week the winner, Arizona Jim, one of the best rough-terrain trail runners of the moment, was wearing Hoka shoes which are anything but minimalist…

Now that is interesting. I've only tried Hokas once, at a race expo, and they felt fantastic running along the expo's firm, flat, floor, but I wasn't sold on the idea of running over rough terrain with them. It felt to me that you were trading balance and control for comfort. Clearly, I was wrong. I must ask my podiatrist about them.

Fascinating!
Run. Just run.
07-04-2018, 06:29 PM,
(07-04-2018, 04:21 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
(07-04-2018, 03:27 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote:

Now that is interesting. I've only tried Hokas once, at a race expo, and they felt fantastic running along the expo's firm, flat, floor, but I wasn't sold on the idea of running over rough terrain with them. It felt to me that you were trading balance and control for comfort. Clearly, I was wrong. I must ask my podiatrist about them.

Fascinating!

To be honest the guy could have been wearing clogs and still won. All I’m saying is that with the exception of in certain, very specific conditions or terrain a bit of cushioning is probably the most sensible bet for most of us, especially if we want to prolong our running to middle age and beyond..

I’m using Inov8 305 shoes at the moment which have a tad more cushioning than the Inovs and Sportivas I’ve used before. I’ll also use old, battered road shoes offroad when it’s dry. And on the rare occasions I run on the road, I’ll go for trainers with as much cushioning as possible. That’s where I am now anyway.
09-04-2018, 08:10 AM,
I shouldn't be surprised that mentioning footwear results in a thread grab. Hokas look like a gimmick, so it's interesting to see them being worn by high level runners (and I don't just mean up a mountain).

Some rust seems to be flaking away from my joints, and I think the heel is settling down. Another workaday loosener just now in the rain; necessarily slow due to the slippery conditions. Hopefully you can expect another month or so of quiet base work from me, then I will start my favourite activity - making a plan.
09-04-2018, 09:24 AM,
10-04-2018, 11:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-04-2018, 11:46 AM by Charliecat5.)
I don't use the word: "hate" lightly... but I hate buying shoes.   Invariably new shoes eat my feet within the first few miles.  They can feel beautiful in the shop...  a second skin, gently massaging my tootsies... but once out there, they turn on me with an evil vengeance for ills I cannot understand.  

Recently I fell for a new trend and purchased some Cloud shoes.  A number of Herd runners were sporting these.  So I went out and bought a pair.   Very, very orange with a unique grip patten that promises unbelievable traction in all conditions.  What Bollocks.

I don't think I've quite run 100 miles in them yet, but they're falling to bits; they're uncomfortable; if I don't lube my feet (don't ask) then I get blisters.  And given their minimalistic nature, they make my legs hurt.  

Early on in my runner career (such as it is), I bought a pair of Hokas.  They were great, other than one problem, which is the Hoka Blister. Yes, that is actually a 'thing'.  Google it.   They have relatively cramped front bits, which results in a blood blister type thing between the toes.   However, they have, apparently, widened the front of the shoe, so I'm going to give them another go.  If nothing else, it will make me the hippest guy out on the trails.
There is more to be done
18-04-2018, 08:53 PM,
Just about shaken off a persistent cough which has kept me indoors for a week or so. But now I'm back into term time with a rocket, plus at home this weekend we have an exchange student arriving from Spain, so time to run will be hard to find. I'm missing it enough that I actually listened to an episode of Marathontalk while not running. Episode 431 was a good listen; I recommend the interview with Helen Croydon, another heartwarming tale of how running transforms life. Sounds like she's one of our people - apart from being way too damn fast. By an amazing coincidence, she has a book out as well. Also news of UK screenings of Skid Row Marathon which was the subject of an interview last year, and sounds well worth a look (although personally I'll be waiting for the DVD). No doubt the boys will be wetting themselves in Episode 432 - recent interviewee Callum Hawkins' exploits in Gold Coast; an amateur runner-up in the women's Boston, and the male winner none other than Yuki Kawauchi, darling of the show.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Off Season 2018-19 marathondan 11 3,008 20-11-2018, 07:03 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  The Road To Richmond - 2018 marathondan 49 10,580 01-10-2018, 08:52 PM
Last Post: marathondan