Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Season: An uphill struggle.
21-01-2018, 11:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-01-2018, 11:18 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
2018 Season: An uphill struggle.
So, started 2018 with a race, the first one for more than 6 months. One thing is painfully clear, it ain't getting any easier.

Sure, there are older runners out there. But I'd say that many of them are late starters unaffected by injury issues. Some of the others will be consistent, finely tuned training freaks who manage their time efficiently and sometimes obsessively. And the remainder, well, they're just freaks!

Like an old car there's a limit to the mileage you can get out of an aging chassis without changing all the parts. There are exceptions of course but for most of us it's a struggle. 

The pain in my right knee subsided but of course may return. Now my left ankle hurts a bit. Not enough to stop me running but enough to hinder descending and spoil the technical sections that I used to enjoy so much. And as any runner knows running injured can easily lead to other injuries, however careful you may be. 

I try to be optimistic in a straw clutching sort of way. The more speed I lose, the more I can concentrate on slow, healthy running. If I can't do the descents any more I'll just have to improve the climbing sections. Slowly, slowly, run, walk, walk, hands on knees and gritted teeth, tortuous agonizing ascents, the last roll of the dice in last chance saloon.

8 runs so far in January including the race. 50k so far or thereabouts, although I only count time spent running. Some of the hill walking is actually faster and certainly more efficient than running but I never include it as kms run. Perhaps I should.
22-01-2018, 02:57 PM,
RE: 2018 Season: An uphill struggle.
Were there's a will there's a way, BB. Although I take your point about an ageing chassis. I'm also feeling like there's more welding work required.

Seem to remember the FRA relays were at Church Stretton a few years ago. And they hosted a junior FRA champs race. Must be the most southern outpost of the FRA in terms of championship races. Didn't go to either by-the-way. But it looks like a good part of the world for running.

Good luck with all your plans this year BB.
11-02-2018, 09:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2018, 09:42 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
Thanks, indeed, where there's a will there's a way. 

Gradually getting back into some sort of pattern although it’s not entirely pain-free running just yet. Don’t want to tempt fate but through a combination of persistence and sheer bloody mindedness (synonym of “stupidity”?) things seem to be getting better.

January, 70ish kms run. Try to get out on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
One run is usually a short, fast one around the river. There was even a spring in my stride the other day. It has been many months since I last detected a spring. It may have just been a delusionary memory of a spring. No, I’m sure it was a spring.

Another run will be a climb. This is nearly always early on a Friday morning when I meet up with my latest running companion DJ Alberto, the ever-cheerful Morrisey loving quarryman. We run up Monte Pajariel as fast as possible and then walk down again. I will explain this another day.

The third run should be a longer one. This may be part of a run-walk over mountainous or semi-mountainous terrain. This morning’s fare in blustery conditions, involved half an hour’s trail, half an hour climbing and then a hell for leather descent down the desolate Morredero Pass. Here my training partner Wilde Oscar disappeared into the distance but the continuous running even along the road is good for the soul and as long as knees and ankles hold up there will be more to come.   
Beer and shepherd’s breadcrumbs in the hunter’s bar afterwards which is the best bit, February going well, the photo says otherwise...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pfgwTO7HBUgLwUw72
11-03-2018, 07:50 PM,
About 90k run in February and quite a few more walked. January’s optimism and hopes for a year of healthy running though has been punctuated by the RC bizarre injury syndrome. 

Yes, you all know what I’m talking about.

My back twinged mysteriously one morning while I was shaving and I’ve been suffering in silence ever since. Funnily enough running seems to alleviate it a bit. Until I stop. It hurts most when I go shopping with the missus for some reason. She says I should give up the running but I think I’ll just grow a beard.

Shaving is dangerous kids.

Building up for the 10th Alto Sil. Or should that be winding down. The race coincides with the Moyleman morning and I’m hoping for a soft, wet circuit without too much snow..

12-03-2018, 07:03 AM,
A few months back I sneezed mid-shave and sliced off the tip of my nose. As you say, it's a dangerous business.

Best of luck with Alto Sil and your back. I have also found that in general running is beneficial for a crook back, but that doesn't usually involve running up and down humongously steep terrain such as you are about to undertake.

Buena suerte!
Run. Just run.
12-03-2018, 12:59 PM,
And there's me thinking Crocodile Dundee was the only Aussie to shave with a large hunting knife.
12-03-2018, 02:07 PM,
(12-03-2018, 12:59 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: And there's me thinking Crocodile Dundee was the only Aussie to shave with a large hunting knife.

It begs the question... why the f*** was he shaving his nose?
There is more to be done
13-03-2018, 02:14 AM,
(12-03-2018, 02:07 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 12:59 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: And there's me thinking Crocodile Dundee was the only Aussie to shave with a large hunting knife.

It begs the question... why the f*** was he shaving his nose?

I wasn't, but it was a big knife, and a vicious , sudden sneeze
Run. Just run.
17-03-2018, 02:29 PM,
Not the best of weather for tomorrow but I prefer the cold and rain to excessive heat and at this time of year both are possible.

As this is the 10th edition of the Alto Sil there is a new marathon-distance race as well as the traditional 32k circuit to choose from. This is an attempt to attract more international runners and they’ve also upped the prize pot and added an extra 12k of proper mountain running. A few years ago I may have been tempted to try the longer option but the cut off times are less than generous and I’ll be doing the usual race which avoids the high peaks. Got in 15 minutes inside the time limit last year and it’s going to be tight again this time.

And just spare a thought for the race organizers marking the route on Friday, well worth flicking through the photos…
https://www.facebook.com/CarreraAltoSil/...15/?type=3
17-03-2018, 05:37 PM,
(17-03-2018, 02:29 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: And just spare a thought for the race organizers marking the route on Friday, well worth flicking through the photos…  

Strewth. What are you going to be wearing on your feet? Good luck!
17-03-2018, 06:42 PM,
(17-03-2018, 05:37 PM)marathondan Wrote:
(17-03-2018, 02:29 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: And just spare a thought for the race organizers marking the route on Friday, well worth flicking through the photos…  

Well I hoped to be wearing a pair of Inovs. Our race is expected to go through about 2kms of snow over the highest section (unless anymore comes down overnight). Those running the full marathon distance can expect a lot more, the winner will probably take over 5 hours.

Today was the uphill only “vertical kilometre” a short race focused solely on elevation gain. Half of the climb was in deep snow which had been partially flattened out the day before. The photos are mad, epic and truly spectacular.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/CarreraAltoSil/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1723100634415996
17-03-2018, 07:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-03-2018, 07:05 PM by Charliecat5.)
(17-03-2018, 06:42 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote:
(17-03-2018, 05:37 PM)marathondan Wrote:

Well I hoped to be wearing a pair of Inovs. Our race is expected to go through about 2kms of snow over the highest section (unless anymore comes down overnight). Those running the full marathon distance can expect a lot more, the winner will probably take over 5 hours.

Today was the uphill only “vertical kilometre” a short race focused solely on elevation gain. Half of the climb was in deep snow which had been partially flattened out the day before. The photos are mad, epic and truly spectacular.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/CarreraAltoSil/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1723100634415996

We've been marking out the Moyleman today - driving snow, strong winds and minus 8 degrees windchill.  

Our new mantra (stolen from another race) is:  Turn up. Run. Get cold. Get muddy. Enjoy getting warm again.  

I know this is upside down... but I quite like it.
There is more to be done
17-03-2018, 07:35 PM,
It's clear that the organizers have by far the hardest part and your upside down photo reflects the craziness of it all ...neat!

Best of luck for the day ahead CC, one day I'd like to think I could organize a race ...you know, pay back time!  Big Grin
17-03-2018, 07:43 PM,
(17-03-2018, 07:35 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: It's clear that the organizers have by far the hardest part and your upside down photo reflects the craziness of it all ...neat!

Best of luck for the day ahead CC, one day I'd like to think I could organize a race ...you know, pay back time!  Big Grin

Take a leaf from Sweder's book.  Turn up to a couple of meetings.  Drink the bar dry (on more than one occasion).  Bugger off to Shanghai when the real work starts...   Tongue
There is more to be done
17-03-2018, 10:25 PM,
(17-03-2018, 02:29 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Not the best of weather for tomorrow but I prefer the cold and rain to excessive heat and at this time of year both are possible.

And just spare a thought for the race organizers marking the route on Friday, well worth flicking through the photos…  

Bloody hell! How the heck ... ??
Run. Just run.
04-04-2018, 08:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-04-2018, 08:38 AM by Bierzo Baggie.)
70ish running kms recorded in March and maybe another 30 % spent walking. The highlight of the month was being able to take part in the 10th Alto Sil which like the Moyleman was run in truly epic conditions. The temperature hovered above 0º throughout, the snow was soft and crunchy and there was no real wind chill to contend with so it was actually a lot more comfortable out there than it looked. Got around in just below 6 hours as per se.

Here is a selection of photos from one of the Facebook pages. Most are taken of the runners at the front end of the field and the ones in black and white are amongst the best I’ve ever seen…   

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1543138915812287.1073742096.789374271188759&type=3
04-04-2018, 01:27 PM,
(04-04-2018, 08:16 AM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: 70ish running kms recorded in March and maybe another 30 % spent walking. The highlight of the month was being able to take part in the 10th Alto Sil which like the Moyleman was run in truly epic conditions. The temperature hovered above 0º throughout, the snow was soft and crunchy and there was no real wind chill to contend with so it was actually a lot more comfortable out there than it looked. Got around in just below 6 hours as per se.

Here is a selection of photos from one of the Facebook pages. Most are taken of the runners at the front end of the field and the ones in black and white are amongst the best I’ve ever seen…   

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1543138915812287.1073742096.789374271188759&type=3

I love the black and white photos... glorious.   What complete madness.  I love it!
There is more to be done
04-04-2018, 07:00 PM,
(04-04-2018, 01:27 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote: I love the black and white photos... glorious.   What complete madness.  I love it!

Mountain and trail running events are very photogenic but the photographer needs to be pretty athletic in the first place to get the best shots from a variety of vantage points. I think the photos above were taken by an American who accompanied Big Jim Walmsley, “El Chulo” from Arizona who won the main race.  

I’d recommend you to take a look at this guy’s portfolio too. Ian Corless is an accomplished runner/photographer who travels the world covering many of the big off road events.

https://iancorless.org/

http://www.iancorless.net/RUNNING-Portfolio/

Big Grin Nice work if you can get it!
05-04-2018, 10:17 AM,
(04-04-2018, 08:16 AM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: 70ish running kms recorded in March and maybe another 30 % spent walking. The highlight of the month was being able to take part in the 10th Alto Sil which like the Moyleman was run in truly epic conditions. The temperature hovered above 0º throughout, the snow was soft and crunchy and there was no real wind chill to contend with so it was actually a lot more comfortable out there than it looked. Got around in just below 6 hours as per se.

Just getting around and surviving seems like an amazing accomplishment... well done (again)!

And those photos! What a great photographer!
Run. Just run.
09-04-2018, 02:24 PM,
Truly excellent pics, but you do have to be a serious loony to do it in shorts.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2018 Season: Part 2 Bierzo Baggie 11 1,788 01-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  Season 2016 Bierzo Baggie 81 33,085 29-11-2016, 11:10 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  Season 2014 Bierzo Baggie 33 15,839 06-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Charliecat5
  The cold season. Bierzo Baggie 14 9,236 27-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie