Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 reflections ...
02-01-2018, 03:08 PM,
2017 reflections ...

Feet as seen in mud at end of Hangover 5 in Worthing on New Year's Day 2018

Since I posted on the Park Run PB in October I managed to complete some more good runs, including another reasonable (not outstanding) WSFRL event for Lewes AC in November. And then hit bad ankle turnover in late November.  That plus flu has meant running kibboshed until last week or so of December. So now building up to being able to get round Almeria HM in early Feb.

But it has allowed me to reflect on what worked for me in 2017 and it seems to be quite obvious stuff to be honest:

- getting the miles in on a regular basis 1: Almeria was bad for me in 2017 since I did little else but twitten runs in the 6 weeks before. I thought my prep for previous October's HM would see me through. It didn't.

- getting the miles in on a regular basis 2: by contrast, the second half of Moyleman just 5 weeks later felt infinitely better, and I had just put in runs during the week, as well as weekends. Plus I'd thrown in some longer runs;

- doing core exercise makes huge difference to how I feel and my times: I looked back and found I really only did any serious (daily) core excerises from mid July to end August. And my times on the WSFRL rocketed (I also did sensible warm ups  ...). But it helped me in middle and end sections of races when tiredness set in

- cross-training likewise: I managed in August to undertaken c 30 mins swimming at a time. And that again reinforced the running.

- actually from a base level of fitness, you can make a difference in one month:  combining core, cross-training and sustained miles for just 4-5 weeks made a heck of a difference to me.

Finally - don't try to run a marathon on the twittens. Or if you do, make it only once a year.

Happy 2018 running y'all!
05-01-2018, 01:00 PM,
RE: 2017 reflections ...
Without wishing to get carried away, my Xmas and NY runs so far have been back on track - with 20km each week logged over the last 3 weeks. Since I averaged 21km a week over 2017, this is back to a good base to reach HM in Almeria in at last half decent running form.
08-01-2018, 01:41 PM,
Think I may have found a way to keep up the mileage while working. Russell Square (just outside my office) provides good 600m loop. And I tried the 30/20/10 training approach (have toyed with it before). 30s jog, 20s pace, 10s sprint, repeated 5 times with 2m30s jog in between sets, 3 or 4 sets. See eg:

https://www.runnersworld.com/peak-perfor...ve-results

I have seen this criticised (since the original research base was on people who had not done speed work, so of course their speed increased)

But for me it's a nice way of keeping focus on what otherwise would be a (boring) 30 min run round a 600m track ...
14-01-2018, 08:04 PM,
Nice. Yet another example of the mind games we have to play to keep things interesting. A concept which can of course be applied throughout life.

Just keeping track of which of the 48 to 64 stages of your session you are on will be enough to keep your mind busy...
15-01-2018, 09:44 AM,
It's quite meditative! And if the rain eases up today, I'll aim to get out and do another set.
15-01-2018, 01:39 PM,
Photo  RE: 2017 reflections ...

After marshalling yesterday on Black Cap 5, wanted to run today. But rain scuppered it

So did stair running exercises instead ...

4 lots of these (takes just under 20 mins)

15-01-2018, 09:19 PM,
No. That is just torture.
19-01-2018, 12:01 PM,
(15-01-2018, 09:19 PM)marathondan Wrote: No. That is just torture.

Agreed. Just no ... really, "no".
Run. Just run.