Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almeria Window
09-02-2018, 12:16 PM,
Almeria Window
As I said last year in my post on a hard-fought and painful Almeria Half Marathon 2017: "So training works. And not training doesn't. That's my lesson from Almeria [2017]"

I'm doubling down on that opinion, and giving myself a high-five for actually following through on the lesson. 

From late December 2017 through to early Feb 2018 with the pain of Almeria 2017 at the front of my mind, I put in the miles. Adding 5k to the start of a park run. Running up stairs at work, when it was rainy out. Doing a flat 10k on a Sunday after twittens. All the boring stuff that you hope is going to pay off. Aside from an inadvertent taper involving no miles at all in the last week, it was textbook stuff (sort of).

And come the event I also erased all expectations - I was just going to run at whatever pace came naturally. Not push it. Get round. And finish in better shape than last year. Only a bouncy Felipe at the start of the race suggesting we were all going to run PBs injected any note of upbeat optimism.

So in the rearguard pen (indeed mixed up with 9kers initially) I prepared for a gentle starting pace ... and lo it was. 

No watch checking. No stress. I trotted along for the first 5k - and the opening slopes (which are not really slopes compared to the Downs) seemed to rise gently to meet my feet. I saw Cam and Jen and David pass me by at around 3k.  And then I found myself staying with them.  

We reached the 5k "summit" and it was downhill to the seafront (via the bullring) and this was turning into an enjoyable outing. My legs felt fine. I felt strong. 

In my mind was the recollection that I felt similar at this stage last year before the wheels fell off. So cautiously I lit out for the boring 2.5k up and down the seafront dual carriageway (minus views).

I was still feeling fine at 14k - this was unusual and alarming. Normally I sag somewhere in the middle of the race before picking up for the finish.

As we entered the odd little stadium en route for a half lap I recall seeing Duncan last year and never getting anywhere near him again.  This next section had killed me a year before

Still I kept going - jostling for pace with a fellow runner (always a nice incentive not to slow).

Then Jen and Cam caught me up - they had stopped for celebratory selfie at half way. Also there were Brian and Naomi. It looked like they would pass me - but I'd still do a decent time.

But J&C weren't going to let me slow - and cajoled I pushed on, finding extra energy.

Looking at my watch with 3k to go I realised I was solidly within 2 hours - and indeed might break my PB of 1:56.

With 1K to go - stadium finish in sight, J&C slowed to await fellow runner Julie ... but I pushed on.

And still able to make a passable sprint for the finish, crossed in 1:54:09.

The photos of me show pain and determination etched on my face. Inside I felt fantastic. Indeed I felt like Jen, Cam and Julie looked when they finished a minute or so later

Grabbing water & apple I was able to walk around, pose for photos, congratulate David on his 1:51 PB and marvel at not feeling sick. Post-race massage vital though.

Looking at post-run Garmin stats, I had maintained a pretty consistent pace all through 5k-20k. 

All in all - a good one.  

Rob
10-02-2018, 01:04 AM,
RE: Almeria Window
A most excellent one indeed; my heartiest congratulations to you, a fantastic result for a great effort!
Run. Just run.
10-02-2018, 02:28 PM,
Good running OutAlongThe River
The half marathon I've always thought of as one of the most "agonizing" races there is. Maintaining the same pace, km after km ....no respite, psychologically very tough, especially if you want to achieve a particular time. Feeling good after 13 and a bit road miles is an achievement in itself!
11-02-2018, 03:02 PM,
Well done, OATR! I'm very glad you managed to do the half marathon faster than last year and feeling better.

Saludos desde Almería

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bringing up the Almeria OutAlongTheRiver 3 1,497 26-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Last Post: OutAlongTheRiver