Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
August resolutions
16-08-2017, 08:41 AM,
August resolutions
Monday's outing

Back again. I disappeared - life got busy and I was ill so many times in such a short space of time that everything else blurred by. Then I went on holiday in the beautiful San Jose (so glad we visited after the Almeria run) and now re-evaluating how I want to spend my time post-holiday. 

I am still off the running as I'm still worried about my ankle. I plan to train for Almeria 9k in Jan, but not starting on that just yet. I have decided to get out early (before settling down to work) on the days I'm working from home. Usually Monday, Weds and sometimes Friday. On Monday I stomped off at 7:45 am for a fast walk up Malling Down. I didn't take my Garmin with me so I have no stats, but I walked hard up the hill for 35 mins and then walked down it again. I paused briefly at a couple of points to get my breath.

The best thing about it was GETTING OUTSIDE. I donned my shorts and a t-shirt and got out into the world and got sweaty. I spend my days stuck in front of a laptop for work. After a holiday where I needed only to take a potter down the road to the beach for a swim in the Med whenever I wanted I've realised getting outside is bloody important to me. 

My plan is to get in to a habit of a first thing walk or cycle on my working from home days while the weather is still fairly placid here in the UK and continue the regime through the winter. I also plan to try cycling to the Uni on the days I'm working there - need to get a commuting bike sorted out.

Watch this space ...

... Take the National Express when your life's in a mess / It'll make you smile ...

16-08-2017, 08:57 AM,
RE: August resolutions
Yay! Sorry I won't be joining you in Almeria this time (next time?); I'm sure you'll have a ball again. Good on you for sticking with it: the running fitness will return soon enough - but do enjoy the weather whilst it lasts!
Run. Just run.
16-08-2017, 07:24 PM,
(16-08-2017, 08:41 AM)twittenkitten Wrote: Monday's outing

Back again. I disappeared - life got busy and I was ill so many times in such a short space of time that everything else blurred by. Then I went on holiday in the beautiful San Jose (so glad we visited after the Almeria run) and now re-evaluating how I want to spend my time post-holiday. 

I am still off the running as I'm still worried about my ankle. I plan to train for Almeria 9k in Jan, but not starting on that just yet. I have decided to get out early (before settling down to work) on the days I'm working from home. Usually Monday, Weds and sometimes Friday. On Monday I stomped off at 7:45 am for a fast walk up Malling Down. I didn't take my Garmin with me so I have no stats, but I walked hard up the hill for 35 mins and then walked down it again. I paused briefly at a couple of points to get my breath.

The best thing about it was GETTING OUTSIDE. I donned my shorts and a t-shirt and got out into the world and got sweaty. I spend my days stuck in front of a laptop for work. After a holiday where I needed only to take a potter down the road to the beach for a swim in the Med whenever I wanted I've realised getting outside is bloody important to me. 

My plan is to get in to a habit of a first thing walk or cycle on my working from home days while the weather is still fairly placid here in the UK and continue the regime through the winter. I also plan to try cycling to the Uni on the days I'm working there - need to get a commuting bike sorted out.

Watch this space ...

I love this post.  GETTING OUTSIDE.  That's is what it is all about... in a nut shell.  x
There is more to be done
18-08-2017, 05:14 AM,
Lovely post. So glad you got to San Jose for an extended visit. There is an other worldly, timeless feel to the place, like something out of the original Star Trek.

I've always wanted to do that. Back in the day, when I harboured hopes of a return to the Two Oceans - how was that TEN YEARS ago?? - I had a plan to spend a week training in Cabo de Gata, based in the miniature beachfront citadel. A romantic notion, perhaps, but you've shown me i was on the right track.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

22-08-2017, 07:58 AM,
Thank you lovelies for the encouragement :-)

I have kept up with my regime, details below. It seems to be having a good affect on my ongoing digestive difficulties, maybe just getting out there and making myself work a bit is the thing to do.

Weds 16th: 

I was planning an arduous cycle in the evening and yet I still wanted to get outside into the open air in the morning. As I stood in front of my home desk weighing up whether to get cracking on work early or go out I wandered over to the window and opened it. What persuaded me to get outside was the smell of the fresh air. The inside of the flat seemed spectacularly dull by comparison.

So I wandered up to the allotment and took in all the sights and (don't laugh!) smells I could. I was actually amazed at how much I enjoyed getting outside and taking notice of all the different scents out there. I noticed the smell of the grass, the huge lavender bush in someone's front garden that I walk past, slight dampness in the air, all sorts of different planty smells that if I knew more about plants I could probably describe in more interesting ways. 

That evening I tried to cycle up Malling Down. I say tried - the hill definitely won. I think I nearly fainted at one point, I was certainly getting that tingly feeling on my skin as I lay on the grass, unable to move. I had to pause and crash on the grass 3 times on my way up that hill. Bastard. I also saw some fab cloud formations. I somehow made it back down in one piece and considered the day's battle done.

Sat 19th:

Joe and I spent the weekend in Dymchurch staying at his parent's caravan there. On Saturday I announced that I needed to complete my third bout of getting out and pushing myself for the week so we decided on a warm up walk to the seafront and back, then a full pelt walk cross country to the pub in St Mary in the Marsh and back again. The seafront walk was fine, very gentle and we watched the gulls. On the way to the pub we were mostly walking across wheat fields, 2 of which were stubble (easy) 5 of which had been recently ploughed (bloody hard work).

My Garmin told me we'd walked 12.5km in total that day, about 7 of that at a fair click so I'm happy with that. We did also get to sit in the pub for an hour, which was rather pleasant.

Monday 21st:

Yesterday morning I walked up the Malling Down again. 35-40 minutes up and quicker down and my thighs know about it today. About 5 km in total, half of it up a big fucking hill. I got some misty views that obscured Lewes from my line of sight and got to watch rolls of low flying cloud waft about over the town. Everything smelt damp and rainy (in a good way) when I wasn't olfactorily aware of how profusely I was sweating.

... Take the National Express when your life's in a mess / It'll make you smile ...

25-08-2017, 12:08 PM,
Brilliant. I only got into running (5 years ago?) by first starting to walk ... sustaining programme of walking with purpose led to me being able to jog gently ...

And even now on competitive club runs in the WSFRL, some folks walk up hilly sections. Even the ones that are going to dash fast along the flat and even faster on the downs

So good on you.

And the Twittens will gladly welcome you back, since you are in the top 10 on runs done Smile