Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
July
19-07-2017, 01:19 PM,
July
The great arrow of time delivers us into the middle of July. And so soon.

A few highlights from June to catch-up with.

24th June was the Eldwick Gala Fell race. A down-up-down-up kind of race over 3 miles. As I hit the first climb my breathing became immediately laboured; as though I was at the top already. Not a great feeling. I put this down to excessive alcohol and a bad night's sleep. I suppose the thing to take from this is that as we get older we have to make more binary choices when it comes to alcohol, food, sleep and running.

Eldwick

25th June. A state visit by Our Glorious Leader and His Good Wife. We were all honoured to receive them on their Yorkshire Tour. A trip to some local hostelries and some home-cooked food seemed to hit the mark. Look out for Andy on next year's Tour de Suisse.

29th June was The Murder Mile. One mile. Up a seriously steep road. Time slows down. Pain gradually seeps into every part of your body. The Doubt rears it's ugly head. And early. But a great measure of fitness, nonetheless. The younger kids do the first 100 meters at such a fast pace. Then gradually dissappear behind you on the next 200 as you weave around them. This kind of parcour always delivers a feeling of slight dread prior to the gun. But then you're off and it's all instinct, pride and struggle.

Murder Mile

And so into July.

9th July was the East Morton Gala Fell race. Only two miles. So Junior Glaconman got to show his Dad who The Daddy really is these days when it comes to running. Another down-up-down-up kind of race. Heat and humidity adding to the mix and making for a really uncomfortable last half mile.

East Morton

I guess the last few weeks has seen some challenges in balancing running with social drinking and work. The upside has been some enjoyable races and abit of regular training at the club. I just need to get out and do more long, slow runs instead of relying on short races and fast efforts.

15th July was the Oxenhope Fete Fell race. A route BB might be familiar with. It's a crazy eye-balls-out dash (3+ miles) around the fringes of the village. Tracks, stiles, bridges, fields, snickets, gardens, roads, parks, paths, slabs, heather, cobbles, gorse. You name it. The washing was out this year. Another obstacle in this crazy, police-chase of a race. I came within 30 seconds of my best time but finished well down due to interest amongst local talent.

Oxenhope

July is also Tour de France month. The route map is pinned to the living room door. And the compulsory highlights are being avidly consumed every night. They may be a bunch of cynical, cheating pros. But this race has us captivated every year.

As the peleton sips champagne on it's way into Paris on the 23rd we'll hopefully be driving down through the Champagne region on our way to the Alpes and Jura.

No major targets. Not marathons, that's for sure. I'm running well over 2-6 miles but am struggling with anything around 10 and over. And I have a vague plan to be able to race a 10-miler in a month. We shall see.
21-07-2017, 10:17 AM,
RE: July
Great little update, envy the variety of short fell races you have to choose from Gman. Unfortunately my cousin doesn't live in Oxenhope anymore although his ex-wife and 2 daughters do!

Tour de France, shame about Richie Porte crashing out, I thought he was the only one who could challenge Froome this year, don't think he'll have any problem extending his lead in the time trial now.
22-08-2017, 12:46 PM,
(21-07-2017, 10:17 AM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Great little update, envy the variety of short fell races you have to choose from Gman. Unfortunately my cousin doesn't live in Oxenhope anymore although his ex-wife and 2 daughters do!

Tour de France, shame about Richie Porte crashing out, I thought he was the only one who could challenge Froome this year, don't think he'll have any problem extending his lead in the time trial now.

Well, you called it BB. Although I don't think you were sticking your kneck out too far Smile We had a ride-up the Grand Columbier and Mont du Chat the other week and I whinced altittle going past the Porte/Martin horror corner. Good climbs though. And a wonderful part of the world.

Do you ever try and get to the Vuelta? I'm hoping the Sky stranglehold will relent at the front and we'll get some decent racing.

I know you saw some cycling in Ponferrada a few years back. We've got the same to look forward to in Yorkshire in 2019. They say Yorkshire is the new Belgium.
28-08-2017, 11:17 AM,
You’ve just started a trip down memory lane.

Cycled over the Col du Chat on my way to Aix les Bains in 1989 to see the last mountain stage of the Tour de France that year. It wasn’t very high though so I think  Mont du Chat is probably another pass nearby ??? Will have to investigate..

And La Vuelta has passed through Ponferrada several times since I’ve lived here. There have been stage finishes twice on the Morredero pass. My best memory was riding up there in 1997 and seeing Jalabert, Chiapucci, Tony Rominger, Zulle, Escartin, Chaba Jimenez….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIs6Bjq6N_0
I’ll be one of the ones jumping up and down around the 45 minute point…

The stage was won by Roberto Heras who later worked for Lance Armstrong in more ways than one!
Heras is still around in his 40s running mountain marathons with his brother.

Your trips sound great! You should write a bit more about them..  Wink
28-08-2017, 11:28 AM,
Col du Chat?  Mont du Chat?

Wonder if Charliecat's  ancestors came this way?  Big Grin
30-08-2017, 02:42 PM,
Yes. The Col du Chat / Mont du Chat debacle.

We took signs for the Col, which is relatively small. We came out near the top and realised we needed to descend it to get to foot of the Mont du Chat (the real climb).

Only problem was it was supposed to be closed to cyclists. The amount of abuse we got from drivers (horns, gestures, shouting) was quite upsetting. But we had little choice but to grin and bear it.

But the main climb is fantastic. With great views down the Rhone valley and over to the high Alpes.

'89 was the 8 second Tour between Fignon and LeMond! They must be great memories. It's such a beautiful part of the world as well.

Let's see how the Vuelta unfolds.

I don't think there's much appetite for road cycling memoirs on this forum except from yourself Smile

I did some lovely cul-de-sac valley rides this year. And some of the less-well-known climbs (col de Notre Dame near Le Bourg for example) are really spectacular.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  July 2015 glaconman 2 2,689 28-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Last Post: glaconman
  JULY 2014 glaconman 11 6,038 17-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Last Post: glaconman
  July 2009 glaconman 39 16,437 27-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  July glaconman 10 5,015 22-07-2007, 06:35 AM
Last Post: Sweder