Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
May: running in the rain
01-05-2017, 06:38 PM,
May: running in the rain
Hola chicos! 

Okay, so I've kept quiet about it for about a week, but I'm giving running a go again. Just back from a soggy 5.7 k to Ringmer and back and I feel FANTASTIC! As well as that I've done two short hops out (testing the ankle gently) in the last 10 days. 

My ankle was achey after the 1st one, then more after the 2nd one so as I've also had a lot on workwise, I gave myself a week off. Had another go today and I'll see how the ankle is later / tomorrow. I'm thinking that alternating a run with a fast walk might be a good way forward.

So today - I'd forgotten that non freezing rain is my favourite weather to run in. It seems to give me a kind of energy and so I pressed on a bit farther today, enjoying running into it and feeling my hair become heavy and clump around my face. I avoided the snails I could see - the buggers were all out trying to get somewhere or another. I'm not sure how successful I was in avoiding all of them, it is so difficult to tell. 

Soggy socks

And Metronomy have just come on the radio, bliss. That is a point actually - I used to insist on listening to music on my runs but I don't anymore. I used to be unable to bear listening to my own ragged breath and had to drown it out somehow to persuade myself on. I don't have that problem anymore: the feeling and rhythm of my breathing, no matter how laboured or snatched is all part of the thing of going running and also a useful indicator of how hard I'm pushing my body. I'm fascinated by how different, yet still the same the experience of running can be.

I really look forward to catching up with everyone's training diaries when I get a mo and I'm sorry that I've been absent from here the last few weeks, I've missed hearing everyone's adventures.

x

... Take the National Express when your life's in a mess / It'll make you smile ...

01-05-2017, 06:47 PM,
RE: May: running in the rain
(01-05-2017, 06:38 PM)twittenkitten Wrote: Hola chicos! 

Okay, so I've kept quiet about it for about a week, but I'm giving running a go again. Just back from a soggy 5.7 k to Ringmer and back and I feel FANTASTIC! As well as that I've done two short hops out (testing the ankle gently) in the last 10 days. 

My ankle was achey after the 1st one, then more after the 2nd one so as I've also had a lot on workwise, I gave myself a week off. Had another go today and I'll see how the ankle is later / tomorrow. I'm thinking that alternating a run with a fast walk might be a good way forward.

So today - I'd forgotten that non freezing rain is my favourite weather to run in. It seems to give me a kind of energy and so I pressed on a bit farther today, enjoying running into it and feeling my hair become heavy and clump around my face. I avoided the snails I could see - the buggers were all out trying to get somewhere or another. I'm not sure how successful I was in avoiding all of them, it is so difficult to tell. 

Soggy socks

And Metronomy have just come on the radio, bliss. That is a point actually - I used to insist on listening to music on my runs but I don't anymore. I used to be unable to bear listening to my own ragged breath and had to drown it out somehow to persuade myself on. I don't have that problem anymore: the feeling and rhythm of my breathing, no matter how laboured or snatched is all part of the thing of going running and also a useful indicator of how hard I'm pushing my body. I'm fascinated by how different, yet still the same the experience of running can be.

I really look forward to catching up with everyone's training diaries when I get a mo and I'm sorry that I've been absent from here the last few weeks, I've missed hearing everyone's adventures.

x

You'll find that not a lot has changed on here in your absence.  Usual madness from the usual quarters.
There is more to be done
01-05-2017, 07:19 PM,
Great to see you are back to running - softly softly sounds like a good approach.

I, too, love a bit of running in the rain, although it's been a while since I've felt my hair become heavy.
01-05-2017, 08:37 PM,
I'm glad your ankle is better, TK. If you're lucky, sooner than you think you'll be fit but you shouldn't overtrain in order to avoid injuries.

Looking forward to reaging about your progress.

¡Mucha suerte! Best of luck.

Saludos desde Almería

01-05-2017, 09:03 PM,
Are you wearing those socks inside out?
Run. Just run.
06-05-2017, 05:55 PM,
(01-05-2017, 09:03 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Are you wearing those socks inside out?

No - that is what they look like right way out.

... Take the National Express when your life's in a mess / It'll make you smile ...

24-05-2017, 08:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 24-05-2017, 08:42 AM by twittenkitten.)
Well, I managed another run this month. Woo Smile

The first of proper summer runs for this year then. Skipped out at about 8am in order to get in a run before settling down to work and to enjoy the morning and I took a leisurely 3.5km out towards Ringmer and back. I decided to take it very gently and try a shorter distance on my ankle and see how it likes it.

I usually think of running as some kind of physical punishment and that I have to run far and fast for it to be worth doing. I'm trying to challenge this habit (I'm usually in it before I realise - cursing myself that my running is pointless and turning away) but its slow going. Today though I thought of all the lovely things about getting out:

I'm starting to build up a sense of the motley collection of peeps who are out and about on my route at this time in the morning. There is the guy with his two mental dogs who runs North Street Garage. I don't like him as a mechanic, but he always smiles at me when he passes, whizzing along on his bike with his two (honestly, demented looking) dogs racing along.

There are a few people who look like they're walking to work (and I'm sure I've seen some of them going the other way when I run this route at the end of the day). One chap made a point of waving and saying hello. Never seen him before in my life, but it was a nice thing to be acknowledged so I smiled and said hello back.

I caught the attention of a doddery old dog (out with his equally doddery owner) who turned back, spotted me running up and waited to greet me. I was studying the dog as I got closer, checking to see there wasn't any hostility and then his tail broke out in a huge wag. He was a slightly shaggy creature, with floppy yet animated ears obviously enjoying a gentle sunny morning out with him human. I really wanted to give a big cuddle, but chose not to break my stride. As I got within a couple of meters, my new doggy friend ran over and wanted to run with me, his owner a few hundred feet ahead. What could I do? "Come on then!" I said and we ran to meet his person together. I called out to chat to the guy, telling him I'd made a friend and we exchanged a few words before I ran on. 

That is unusual for me. I've always felt incredibly self conscious chatting with strangers and historically I have only ever initiated conversations under duress or in situations that are obviously manufactured for this to happen (networking events, open days, tweet ups, dating events etc). But it just felt like a normal part of life. A nice bit of life, even. So perhaps this old dog can learn new tricks, eh? ;-)

On the way back I spotted a buzzard circling just over head. Had to keep track of it for a few seconds to be sure it wasn't just a pigeon capitalising on my eagerness to spot a bird of prey to fool me. Nope, wing tips curved elegantly upward, flapping smoothing out into circling on an updraft. Right overhead, a fantastic view. 

I'd not have had any of that if I hadn't levered myself out for a run. Maybe it's not all / only about physical punishment after all.

I also have thoughts on mental fitness & running. MLCMM keeps reminding me of the subject and I've been pondering why it is I've not been out running since 1st May when it is now 24th May. I shall save them for another post as this one is already long :-) /crap-attempt-at-cliffhanger

24-05-2017, 08:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-05-2017, 08:09 PM by Charliecat5.)
(24-05-2017, 08:41 AM)twittenkitten Wrote: Well, I managed another run this month. Woo Smile

I'd not have had any of that if I hadn't levered myself out for a run. Maybe it's not all / only about physical punishment after all.

If running was only about physical punishment then none of us would be doing it... 

Apart from Sweder... he'd probably would still do it... more to punish the rest of us than him.
There is more to be done