Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It begins... (again)
10-04-2017, 07:12 AM,
It begins... (again)
Well as soon as I shake this soddin' cold...
There is more to be done
10-04-2017, 11:08 AM,
RE: It begins... (again)
I've said it before, but it remains true: the best advice I ever heard about overcoming the dreaded man flu came from a senior teller at the bank where I worked when I were but a lad - all you need is a good 'ot curry and a sauna. You'll be running them thar hills again tomorrow if you follow his advice.

Blisters permitting, that is.
Run. Just run.
11-04-2017, 12:23 PM,
This is a re-start.  Time to get my running house back in order.  New ambitions and new adventures to be had.

So far this week I have run absolutely nowhere.  I will keep you posted as further events unfold.
There is more to be done
11-04-2017, 02:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-04-2017, 02:44 PM by glaconman.)
Yes, re-starts, reboots. Call them what you will. They're a regular feature of everybody's running I think CC5. I'm currently trying to get my own damaged machine working again. It will be a struggle. But it must be done. Good luck.
13-04-2017, 07:12 AM,
Latest report.  I didn’t go out running last night for a sunset run, and failed to get up this morning for a sunrise jaunt into the hills.

Total for the month: 5 miles.  Total for the last 10 days: nowt.

But, have a run planned for tomorrow morning with the Godfather and Radar.  It begins tomorrow.  Hopefully.  If this cold subsides.
There is more to be done
13-04-2017, 09:26 AM,
(13-04-2017, 07:12 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote: Latest report.  I didn’t go out running last night for a sunset run, and failed to get up this morning for a sunrise jaunt into the hills.

Own it, brother.

But all the best training plans start with a rest day.

And now you are harnessing the power of others to get you moving.

Doesn't matter if it's fast, slow, easy, hard... getting out the door is what matters. Tally ho!
14-04-2017, 05:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017, 05:28 PM by Charliecat5.)
I’m sitting down to write this with a lovely glass of Bedlam Pilsner in front of me… well just slightly to the right.  This is following an afternoon of incredible eating and drinking at the Gingerman in Brighton.  For those local amongst you, it’s worth a visit.  

But the day started a little differently, I was sober for a start.  This morning I met with the Godfather, Mr Roper, for a run over Blackcap to Ditchling and back.  The small matter of 12 miles.   We were meant to have been joined by Radar and BGG, but the former cried out last night, and the latter had a few truck issues yesterday evening, resulting in a night out in a Travelodge at the bottom of the M1.  The man knows how to live.

In case you hadn’t realised it, I currently have a nasty cold.  It arrived last Friday from a source unknown and has hit me hard over the last few days, putting pay to a week of planned running and other treats.  So, I was determined to get out this morning to take advantage of a day off.

All I can say is that it was a very snotty affair.  And I can only thank Tom for sticking with me.  I had moments akin to that snotty little boy you often see out and about who has a constant goober of snot hanging from his nose.  In my case, it hung from my nose to the floor.  Even I thought it was revolting.  Every 20 yards involved hacking up another loogie.   But after 8 miles or so, the stream started to abate a little, enough for me to regale Tom with fascinating facts about growing maize.  He now thoroughly understands the concept of an Ontario Heat Unit, whether he wanted to or not. 

I’d have to say that he is much more the gentleman than Sweder, or OATR, or even Radar.  Those buggers disappear into the distance when I take it upon myself to improve their farming knowledge. 

Mind you, it reminds me of the occasion early in my running career when I explained to Sweder that the field in front of us would finish its life as the raw ingredient for beer.  He stopped and stared for a good five minutes before whooping and shouting: “what, all of it” …  I realised then that he was both a fool, but someone worth hanging around with.

The run itself was gorgeous, the sun shone, and the paths gently massaged our feet as we trotted over the hills.  It was steady (I needed steady) but excellent company and a lovely buzz from all those we passed.   As we ran the last few miles back into town the cloud started to come in and a lazy wind started to blow. We caught the best of the day.  I’ll drink to that.
There is more to be done
14-04-2017, 07:09 PM,
Nice work sir. None of this easing yourself back in gently.
15-04-2017, 11:30 AM,
(14-04-2017, 07:09 PM)marathondan Wrote: Nice work sir. None of this easing yourself back in gently.

He certainly doesn't do things by halves, does he?

Nice work, CC5 ... just don't get another blister, OK?
Run. Just run.
15-04-2017, 11:48 AM,
Every run should be like this; sunny but not too hot, a respectable distance, good company, and a lecture on agronomy thrown in.
If explaining the Ontario Heat Unit ever becomes insufficiently lucrative, I know a podiatrist who needs blistered feet to illustrate his talks on running injuries. He'll pay handsomely for good examples. If you could manage a few subungual haematomas as well, you could live like a king.
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

15-04-2017, 11:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017, 12:09 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(15-04-2017, 11:48 AM)tomroper Wrote: Every run should be like this; sunny but not too hot, a respectable distance, good company, and a lecture on agronomy thrown in.
If explaining the Ontario Heat Unit ever becomes insufficiently lucrative, I know a podiatrist who needs blistered feet to illustrate his talks on running injuries. He'll pay handsomely for good examples. If you could manage a few subungual haematomas as well, you could live like a king.

Perhaps not so surprisingly, I actually can imagine CC5 (never mind the poor podiatrist) giving forth on the subject of subungual haematomas...

That is why God invented ale.

And, I can readily imagine (given that it is Easter, you heathens) that at that wedding in Cana, some bastard was also giving forth on subungual haematomas, which is why Jesus, in a fit of pique, performed his first, and perhaps most significant miracle, of turning the water into bloody excellent wine. The reasons for doing this should be obvious.

Pay attention, now. Sometimes the scriptures have bloody excellent lessons. Although, on the subject of the Ontario Heat Unit, I'm afraid Jesus was somewhat obstinately quiet.
Run. Just run.
15-04-2017, 08:01 PM,
(15-04-2017, 11:57 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
(15-04-2017, 11:48 AM)tomroper Wrote: Every run should be like this; sunny but not too hot, a respectable distance, good company, and a lecture on agronomy thrown in.

Perhaps not so surprisingly, I actually can imagine CC5 (never mind the poor podiatrist) giving forth on the subject of subungual haematomas...

That is why God invented ale.

And, I can readily imagine (given that it is Easter, you heathens) that at that wedding in Cana, some bastard was also giving forth on subungual haematomas, which is why Jesus, in a fit of pique, performed his first, and perhaps most significant miracle, of turning the water into bloody excellent wine. The reasons for doing this should be obvious.

Pay attention, now. Sometimes the scriptures have bloody excellent lessons. Although, on the subject of the Ontario Heat Unit, I'm afraid Jesus was somewhat obstinately quiet.

Didn’t understand any of that …..but here’s a guy who probably picked up a blister or two..
https://youtu.be/u3TSfx3Cfg0
19-04-2017, 07:11 AM,
It’s the unexpected runs I particularly like.

This evening’s run with the herd ended up being unexpected.  I didn’t know what to expect when I turned up… it’s always exciting to find out what the task masters have planned, and this time the idea was to run along the river to Hamsey.  A nice jaunt, but flat (being a river) and usually involves some road work (I’m not keen on roads). 

I shunned heading out with the Crazies and joined the faster of the two intermediate groups which ended up being an ideal pace… pushing me faster than I would normally run when left to my own devices, but not so fast that I’m struggling at the back of the pack.

Anyway, the unexpected bit was reaching Hamsey and then deciding to head up the mother of all hills (we need a name for this hill) to the Mount Harry Beacon where we arrived just in time to watch the sun sink over the horizon.  It was beautiful.  After a few photos, we turned to face downhill and ran it home along the race course, past Jill’s Pond and back into town.  Glorious running.

It was also nice to see Radar’s new found ability to run up hills… I say ‘new found’… I know she’s been working hard on her hill work and it was clear to see this evening that it was paying dividends.  Giving me a real run for my money.  I’m going to have to put in some extra hill reps to keep up.  

8.64 miles at a 8:55 min/mi pace.  I’ll take that on a Tuesday evening.

There is more to be done
24-04-2017, 08:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 24-04-2017, 12:29 PM by Charliecat5.)
There’s a move afoot to launch a Lewes Parkrun.  I’m not really a Parkrun fan, and only on the edges of developing this one, but OATR is keen so I’m happy to help.  Well I was until Saturday when he made Sweder and I run the bloody thing to test out the route.

I’d have to say, for a Parkrun it is my kinda thing.  Off-road and hilly… with a couple of real kickers thrown in.   But you still have to run it twice… and I don’t like running in circles.

Because this is the weekend, I wanted to run a little further than 3 miles so I headed out the door an hour earlier than our planned rendezvous, with Blackcap in mind.  However, it wasn’t to be.  No energy in the tank and a head full of snot resulted in unannounced technicolour yawn as I reached the top of the first hill. 

Blackcap would have to wait, so I re-routed and limped back to Jill’s Pond, our meeting point, to wait for the other two fools.  With 20 minutes in-hand I lay back in the grass and reflected on this ridiculous running lark and concluded that I would sit here and watch them pilot the run whilst I checked timings and perhaps took some photos.

20 minutes later I was woken from my slumber by the beautiful Murph, closely followed by coy, but loveable Ripley, top dog Sir Douglas, and then lastly at the back of the pack, BGG himself.  Two minutes later OATR came sauntering up the footpath towards us. 

A quick discussion about the route… where to start, where to end, etc. and abruptly I found myself running before I had time to even mutter anything to the contrary.  Twice we went around that soddin’ field.  Three miles later and I was ready to throw up again.  I cannot pretend we ran it anywhere near a decent pace… I blame dog shenanigans for holding us back *ahem*. 

A brief romp back found us at Chez Sweders for a coffee before I ran it back home… 8 hard miles in the bag.
There is more to be done
24-04-2017, 11:34 AM,
Just embrace it, CC, just embrace it. Life's too effing short and there are worse things than running 5km on a Saturday morning.

Apparently.
Run. Just run.
24-04-2017, 12:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-04-2017, 12:28 PM by Charliecat5.)
(24-04-2017, 11:34 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Just embrace it, CC, just embrace it. Life's too effing short and there are worse things than running 5km on a Saturday morning.

Apparently.

Hey... I'm embracing it... just been out for a 3 mile lunchtime run. Not quite as quick as I'd hoped, but this was partly due to an incident with a fly.  

I'm out there... it's may not be pretty... but I'm out there...
There is more to be done
24-04-2017, 10:22 PM,
(24-04-2017, 12:22 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote: Hey... I'm embracing it... just been out for a 3 mile lunchtime run. Not quite as quick as I'd hoped, but this was partly due to an incident with a fly.  

Don't your shorts just have a drawstring? Tongue
25-04-2017, 12:21 AM,
(24-04-2017, 10:22 PM)marathondan Wrote:
(24-04-2017, 12:22 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote: Hey... I'm embracing it... just been out for a 3 mile lunchtime run. Not quite as quick as I'd hoped, but this was partly due to an incident with a fly.  

Don't your shorts just have a drawstring?   Tongue

Yeah, drawstrings are good, Charlie. Stop trying to be different to everyone else. Dodgy
Run. Just run.
01-05-2017, 04:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017, 04:47 PM by Charliecat5.)
They clearly looked at the weather forecast.  Having arrange a threesome for a Sunday evening (that, I’d have to say is a remarkably unpleasant thought… particularly for Radar), I was looking forward to a few miles followed by a few beers.  

The first to cry off was Radar who couldn’t make the timings work given two small children, and then with only 10 minutes before we were due to go, the big man sent a text with some excuse about listening to his body, and his body saying: “not on your f*****’ nellie mate”.  So, within the space of 30 minutes I was on my own, heading out the door and up onto the Downs.

Lucky for me… at this afternoons Ladies match I chanced upon a most marvellous Rhubarb Cake, caramelised on the edges… a taste sensation.  Two slices of that kept me running for a good distance.  If only the chef could have met me at Southease with another slice, things would have been perfect.   Mmmmmm… cake…  

Sorry… where was I?  Oh yes, running.

10 miles up hills, down valleys, along rivers, through rain, sunshine and wind.  I ran some of it quick, some of it slow. I cannot count how many times I stopped to removed or re-instate my hat.  In places I danced, in others I winced.  It was one of those runs that had a bit of everything… other than company of course.  But as it happened, that was alright.  

There is more to be done
01-05-2017, 08:41 PM,
I'm glad you enjoyed your solo run conversing with yourself and enjoying that beautful scenery.

By the way, do you know the date of next year's Moyleman race yet?

Saludos desde Almería.