Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March: balancing on one leg and resistance bands
07-03-2017, 09:44 PM,
March: balancing on one leg and resistance bands
I learned something new about myself last week - I have weak ankles. I went to see a physio after the twinging in my right ankle had failed to subside after Almeria. It started hurting after a long drive on 29th Jan and just hasn't gone back to its normal, uncomplaining self.

So yes, weak ankles. I'm told that if I do exercises to strengthen them it will benefit my running and my overall stability, so I am trying to remember to stand on one leg, with my eyes closed for short periods of time. I am surprisingly wobbly - apparently this is not normal, or at least I could certainly be more stable. Funny how one believes something must be the way it is, through knowing no different. It has never occurred to me to question my stability as I walk / run or anything else. I'm actually a bit excited that there is something basic I can do to improve my strength and stability that'll have an impact on my running.

I have also been told to take it easy on the running in the meantime. I miss it and I was so pleased to be doing something about losing weight, but have been taking myself up the allotment and will be cycling more over the next few weeks. I intend to keep up the practice of writing here as visiting keeps me feeling that I am still really a runner. 

(Which I am!)

... Take the National Express when your life's in a mess / It'll make you smile ...

07-03-2017, 10:40 PM,
RE: March: balancing on one leg and resistance bands
Yes, you most certainly are!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

08-03-2017, 07:22 AM,
(07-03-2017, 10:40 PM)Sweder Wrote: Yes, you most certainly are!

Bless you mate, thanks you Smile

... Take the National Express when your life's in a mess / It'll make you smile ...

08-03-2017, 08:58 AM,
What possible evolutionary purpose could be served by being able to stand on one leg with eyes closed?
(I can't do it at all)
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

08-03-2017, 10:35 PM,
That is a good question. Not sure on evolutionary benefits, but that is one of the exercises I've been advised to do by the physio I saw...

09-03-2017, 10:00 AM,
Well, obviously the ability to stand on one leg is what sets us apart from the animals. Apart from flamingos, that is.
Run. Just run.
09-03-2017, 06:36 PM,
(09-03-2017, 10:00 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Well, obviously the ability to stand on one leg is what sets us apart from the animals. Apart from flamingos, that is.

I bet flamingos don't close their eyes.

11-03-2017, 11:32 AM,
(09-03-2017, 06:36 PM)twittenkitten Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 10:00 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Well, obviously the ability to stand on one leg is what sets us apart from the animals. Apart from flamingos, that is.

It could be argued that makes flamingos smarter than us!
Run. Just run.
11-03-2017, 03:15 PM,
(11-03-2017, 11:32 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:

Smarter than some of us...
There is more to be done
13-03-2017, 11:47 AM,
(11-03-2017, 03:15 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote:

You talking about me?!?

*hops off in a sulk, eyes closed*

*tumbles down flight of stairs*

14-03-2017, 12:26 AM,
(13-03-2017, 11:47 AM)twittenkitten Wrote:

You talking about me?!?

As it turns out, they're pretty smart ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_new...197932.stm

And they don't fall down stairs, either. Actually, I don't know that for a fact, that's just a guess. I suppose after a night on the turps anything's possible, even for a flamingo.  Some of that tropical swamp moonshine can be pretty brutal.
Run. Just run.
15-03-2017, 01:32 PM,
This thread started off so well...
15-03-2017, 06:41 PM,
(14-03-2017, 12:26 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
(13-03-2017, 11:47 AM)twittenkitten Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 06:36 PM)twittenkitten Wrote: I bet flamingos don't close their eyes.

You talking about me?!?

As it turns out, they're pretty smart ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_new...197932.stm

And they don't fall down stairs, either. Actually, I don't know that for a fact, that's just a guess. I suppose after a night on the turps anything's possible, even for a flamingo.  Some of that tropical swamp moonshine can be pretty brutal.

I wonder what colour a flamingo would turn if it over did the Guinness.
There is more to be done
22-03-2017, 06:51 PM,
(15-03-2017, 01:32 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: This thread started off so well...

Ha! Well, the degeneration of this thread and CharlieCat5 aside (he deserves his own category of disruption) ... still not running much Sad

Went back to the physio today and my ankle is much better, my calves (that doesn't look right, but it can't be calfs) are less tight and I am less wobbly when standing on one leg. Also I am no longer limping. 

Went for a run yesterday around Sussex University campus. I was abysmally slow and going uphill was like a slow death. That was about being out of condition more than anything, but at least I got out and did something. I also saw had some lovely views of the early evening sunshine. In fact, it was WONDERFUL getting out into the fresh air. But my ankle was achey afterwards. Not much running for me for the next few weeks again.

For those whom it will amuse, my latest exercise is to stand on one leg, with my eyes closed while brushing my teeth.