Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parkrun pains
26-10-2016, 11:40 AM,
Parkrun pains
Whose bright idea was it to make parkruns so ubiquitous and tempting? My planned taper has now become an enforced absence of running, as the opportunity to try the parkrun closest to where I grew up (Sheffield Hallam PR) has resulted in my right knee being somewhat pained.

The 600+ folks who start this particular park run each week along quite narrow-ish paths and alongside a series of C17th millponds mean the start is slow. But that just means the temptation to get faster and faster is hard to resist. So while I achieved a 5k of negative splits, with every km being faster than the one before, I ended with the inflamed ligaments around my right knee (already prone to upset due to ACL rip and replacement 10 years ago).

So (self) massage/iburprofen gels etc applied to knee and no running until a gentle tester on Saturday.

We shall see how Sunday goes!

Rob
26-10-2016, 12:14 PM,
RE: Parkrun pains
Fortunately (and touch wood) I've not really suffered from proper pains - I've had niggles and blisters, the occasional shin splint and the odd bout of stupidity - but nothing that has kept me from running for more than a few days. The one thing I have noticed however, is that most of my niggles have resulted from pounding the tarmac. Running off-road, in the most part, has been fine (other than being overweight, out of breath, drunk/hungover and in the wrong head-space).

I note that your injuries seem to have resulted from the hard-top?
There is more to be done
26-10-2016, 02:18 PM,
RE: Parkrun pains
I suspect that this may well be the case - plus the inadvertent chair incident in the church carol concert last year. But that was not running related. Divine retribution for my non-belief?