Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fruit loops
19-10-2016, 07:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 19-10-2016, 07:11 AM by OutAlongTheRiver.)
Fruit loops
This looks like being the last hard push before the 30 October run. Two 6.4k sets run at around 5:30 per km. The hardest part proved to be choosing the route. Evening run in the dark so it needed to be along the lit streets, not on the Downs. But should I find 3.2k and do that twice each time - or a whole 6.4k. Problem with any loops of that size in Lewes is that inevitably introduces hills. But I figured as ever that hills actually a bonus, so one longer loop it was.

My real worry was my right foot - which had been sore since the long Sunday run which ended so painfully. I had been reduced to a shuffling wreck on my way to work on Monday - being overtaken on London streets by old men with canes - so I didn't know how that would be.

I used the slow section to start as a genuine warm up - doing strange genuflections along the Lewes streets akin to the exercises done at start of Lewes AC track sessions. All seemed OK so by the prison traffic lights I upped the pace (jail breaks from HMP Lewes should be easier since it's all downhill from there).

The first quarter of the loop felt a bit cheaty since it was a long downhill - but the middle section was flat and the last quarter back up hill - so I just settled into the pace.

Using the Garmin now rather than RK/iPhone & headphones, I had to resist urge to stare at phone every 30 seconds. Plus it made odd beeps at odd times (which I must work out ...) - so I was a little distracted.

But going well and waving at group of other runners (which might have been a Lewes AC beginners group) I pressed on.

The last section around Winterbourne and up to Brighton Rd was the toughie and I focussed on cadence to get me through.

5 min breather outside the Prison again (this is not how jailbreaks normally go I guess, although it would be the last place they might look for recent escapee) and gentle jog up & back before repeat.

The second loop I decided to largely ignore watch and run what I felt was around 5:30 pace. Virtually a repeat of the emotional/physical experience - but with happy knowledge that when I reached the Prison again (my reappearance would really perplex the guards) that would be it.

And lo as I pressed on towards the traffic lights for final time I felt good & the foot had held up well.

Final 1.6k slowdown and home.

Ok! So just the taper left to do until the run.