Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RackOfftober
14-10-2016, 07:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 14-10-2016, 09:40 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
RE: RackOfftober
His Bobness, Nobel Laureate

After a summerish 33 degrees C a few days ago, this morning winter returned like the salesman who just won't give up with one last (we hope) free sample of wintry weather and we were reduced to a miserable 4 degrees for my early plod, which, I can tell you, made for an unpleasant time of it. Still, duty done, I was able to return home for a hot shower, after which smug mode was once again engaged and I ploughed through the rest of the day with that feeling of strength and well-being that only comes from an early outing in the running kit.

It wasn't until after my run that I heard the news of Bob Dylan winning the Nobel Prize for Literature, and I for one was very pleased with the decision. I've long been impressed by Dylan's writing, and he's been one of the very few artists who influenced me both musically and ideologically in my youth. The first Dylan albums I bought were his Greatest Hits volumes I and II, and whilst these were excellent, it wasn't until I bought his 1975 masterpiece Blood On The Tracks that I properly realised what a lyrical genius he is.

Over the years many other Dylan albums found their way into my collection of course, but it was that first startling discovery of Blood On The Tracks that cemented it as my all-time favourite Dylan album. His ability to write lyrics that seem profound, musical and sheer genius all at once, even in songs you may not particularly like, is a rare, rare quality, and the Nobel Prize is an award very well deserved, and I congratulate the Nobel Prize committee in making what must have seemed a courageous decision at the time, but which I am sure will in time be thought of as obvious and logical if not long overdue.

On ya, Bob.

Early one mornin’ the sun was shinin’
I was layin’ in bed
Wond’rin’ if she’d changed at all
If her hair was still red
Her folks they said our lives together
Sure was gonna be rough
They never did like Mama’s homemade dress
Papa’s bankbook wasn’t big enough
And I was standin’ on the side of the road
Rain fallin’ on my shoes
Heading out for the East Coast