Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RackOfftober
29-10-2016, 12:44 AM,
RE: RackOfftober
(28-10-2016, 10:29 PM)Sweder Wrote: A new Chris McDougal book, you say?
I'm in.

Yeah, you'll love it. It's a different focus than Born To Run, being, as the title Natural Born Heroes suggests, about heroism rather than running per se. However, at its core (pardon the pun) there's a heavy emphasis on endurance and flexibility, hence it's a great read for runners and would-be heroes alike.

Meanwhile, the news here is that whilst the calf is better, it's still not 100% so I'm giving it another day's rest before testing it with another run. It's making me nervous, I can tell you. However, the good news is that other factors, such as weight, body fat and so on are all now rapidly moving in the right direction, which all helps of course. A five-day break from work has also given me the opportunity to catch up on some much-needed sleep, and I've also become a little more serious about core strength and flexibility, and already feeling the benefits.

And with the weather improving and hours of daylight rapidly lengthening, there is much to be glad about.

But that Almeria deadline is definitely moving closer at a rapid rate. I need to get running again and get over this injury very, very soon.
Run. Just run.
29-10-2016, 03:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 29-10-2016, 03:29 PM by Antonio247.)
( This decision has in part come about because I've been reading Christopher McDougall's book, Natural Born Heroes, the follow-up to the phenomenal Born To Run, and in which in turn led me to investigate The Maffetone Method, essentially a means of turning the body to fat-burning rather than depending on carbohydrate, and thus of great benefit to the endurance athlete. Fascinating, thought-provoking, and I must say, logical-sounding stuff.)

I'm glad you're better from your calf injury, MLCMM. I've been reading about the Maffetone method and found it interesting.Something that I've liked is that he says that a runner or athlete can be fit but not healthy, which can be true in many occasions.It has struck me that he says that you needn't run too fast but you'd better run at a constant comfortable pace depending on your age and level.That way you can run faster. As to nutrition,it'll be very tough fro me not to be able to eat bread, pasta, cereals and other carbohidratres, but above all, not to have any fruit for two weeks and eat too much protein instead but I think it can be quite rewarding.

Thanks a lot for telling us about that new book and this method which can be very useful for us to be healhier and fitter.

Looking forward to hearing from your experience. Best of luck with your injury. You shouldn't worry about your training for Almería. I'm sure you'll succeed in my local half.

Saludos desde Almería

01-11-2016, 07:12 AM,
Thanks Antonio! There's good news at last - see November's entry! Cheers.
Run. Just run.