Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update 2016
19-09-2016, 11:05 AM,
Update 2016
I'm trying to resuscitate my race diary. The hope here is that by going through recent running escapades I can keep my running mojo alive. And prove to myself I've done some running.

Some months have seen the equivalent of CPR with events coming thick and fast. Whilst there are also big gaps where life has got in-the-way.

At 48 I guess the slow-down is well under way. But it's a very shallow decline. And with so many great reasons to run and enjoy this sport that shouldn't be a problem. It's just part of the constant recalibration we're all engaged in.

All-in-all it's a pretty committed effort. Most of the races I've done before; but I've managed to try a couple of new ones.

The highlights have probably been the fell races attached to agricultural shows this summer. I must try and do more of them next year. Shows like Kilnsey and Grasmere Sports are already in the diary for 2017. And The 3 Peaks is always a big day out that seems to set-you-up for the Spring.

More cycling in-between is another lesson.

Perhaps now I can make some more meangful observations about whatever happens this Autumn. Probably a handful of Cross Country League races. Hard but satisfying. The perfect pre-cursor to a well deserved afternoon nap.

October 10th 2015 Yorkshire Vets Road Relays - Roberts Park Saltaire.
October 18th 2015 West Yorkshire Cross Country League Race 1 - Thornes Park Wakefield.
October 25th Bronte Way Fell Race - Wycoller to Haworth.
November 15th 2015 West Yorkshire Cross Country League Race 3 - Cliffe Castle Keighley.
November 21st 2015 Harriers vs Cyclists - Bingley
January 1st 2016 New Years Day Road Race - Silsden
January 9th 2016 Yorkshire County Cross Country Championships - Lightwater Valley
April 19th 2016 Bunny Run Relay - Haworth
May 7th 2016 Hawkswick Fell Race
May 10th Jack Bloor Fell Race - Ilkley
May 15th Calderdale Way Fell Relay
May 18th Kildwick Fell Race
May 22nd West Nab Fell Race - Meltham
June 5th Kettlewell BOFRA Fell Race
June 11th Bronte 5 Road Race
July 7th Murder Mile Silsden
August 13th Arncliffe 4 Road Race
August 20th Burnsall 10 Road Race
August 27th Malham Show Fell Race
August 29th Reeth Show Fell Race
September 4th Bradley Show Fell Race
September 18th Yorkshire Road Relay Championships - Thornes Park Wakefield
20-09-2016, 01:40 PM,
RE: Update 2016
Great list of races there Glaconman.... any chance of a few mini- reports of the best ones? Are you still finishing well up the field? I'm bottom third these days, any more slowdown will be a stop!
26-09-2016, 03:43 AM,
Hi there BB. I am slowly creeping back up the field you might say. But it does, as you well know, depend on what kind of race you are running. We both tend to run in small, committed fields. Although yesterday I ran in the Northern 6-stage road relays around the Ethiad Stadium. This was a large, committed field. I was running a respectable pace on my leg but looked completely pedestrian when compared to the runners at the sharp end. I guess alot of them were young, track runners.

The Bank Holiday weekend of the Malham and Reeth Shows may well have been the highlight. I was planning to do the Grasmere Sports in between but we didn't get out of bed in time. Not the first time that's happened. Agricultural shows are fantastic because the races are slotted into a programme of events in the show-field. So really you're just another type of livestock being paraded before the crowd and then you head off into the hills. And the reception when you get back is always a warm one as, by that time, the beer tent has usually done some business.

Reeth is in a lovely part of The Dales that we don't visit much called Swaledale. There were even camel races; with commentary from an aristocratic General type who was genuinely knowledgeable about camels.

Some of these shows, such as Muker and Kilnsey are during the week so you have to take time off work to attend. I think Kilnsey is the most famous with a very short and perilous fell race down limestone 'chimneys' and big scree fields. But it's on a Tuesday afternoon!

The Jack Bloor race was amusing as I spent the hour before the race frantically studying the map and working out bearings off each checkpoint, attack points and the like. Well, it was advertised as needing navigational skills. The reality was 250 people following each other along paths and marked sections of the moor. So I would have been better off going for a warm-up.

Arncliffe Gala and Burnsall Sports are always August highlights. I do the road races and watch the Fell race with a pint which suits me nicely. This year I actually paced the Burnsall 10 correctly which was a first. Not a particularly quick time but I usually find it impossible to get right as it's so lumpy.

I suppose a few pictures would paint a better picture. I'll try and cobble some links together.
26-09-2016, 12:23 PM,
I'm in awe of you guys ... you make it seem so ... honourable. A few more race reports or video documentaries would be most welcome, please. That might sound flippant, but no, really, you guys are the best. Keep it coming, please.
Run. Just run.
29-09-2016, 08:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 29-09-2016, 08:27 AM by glaconman.)
Very kind of you to say MLCMM. Well, it feels like an honour to be able to push hard occassionally and feel that vital edge.

Nestling amongst that lot is quite an interesting take on this sport which is coming around again soon: Harriers vs Cyclists. As the name implies you pick your own method of movement out of a dizzying choice of two: you run or you cycle. It makes for an intriguing contest. Certainly conditions play their part. And on wet, muddy courses the top runners tend to have the edge as the cyclists struggle to keep themselves upright on the descent or loose traction on the ascent.

Incidentally, there is an even more striking contest held in Wales entitled Man vs Horse. This is won by the horse as a rule. Not suprisingly.

Man vs Horse

But, you know, there's always something bigger and better.

I don't remember too much about last year's event. It was cold. There was a long wait for the gun. And the start is ridiculously steep.

But it goes down well around here because it brings together two treasured local sports: fell running and cyclocross. The latter is probably most famous in Belgium. And it must be said that the Belgians have mastered two of my favourite pastimes: cycling and brewing beer. So why have I never been to Belgium? Why don't I live in Belgium? Well, Yorkshire is the new Belgium I guess. Only with more hills. And we don't drink beer out of wine glasses.

You can find out all you need to know about this tremendous event on the link at the bottom. In fact reading this has done one thing: it's put it firmly in the diary for this year!

Harriers vs Cyclists

[Image: e09edfc370687a3387e7c4a66ff37c01.jpg]
01-10-2016, 02:10 PM,
Love the photo .... anybody want to play "spot the Glcaonman" I'm guessing that you are in there somewhere!
03-10-2016, 01:54 PM,
Alas, I think this was taken the year before I ran.
03-10-2016, 02:16 PM,
It's a great photo!
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  September 2016 glaconman 1 1,414 03-10-2016, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man