Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15 miles
01-03-2017, 06:41 PM,
RE: 15 miles
Hey, how goes it CC5? Has a few days taking it easy helped? Your plan to take it easy for the week and then try again at the weekend sounds reasonable Smile I guess try not to push it too hard next time you go out.

One other thing that just glares out at me from your text above - it is possible the shoes reached a blister creating maturity, but regardless don't beat yourself up. I'll repeat what I said to Antonio as he found fault with his strategy for the Almeria run - it's all an experiment eh?

... Take the National Express when your life's in a mess / It'll make you smile ...

07-03-2017, 05:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-03-2017, 05:34 PM by Charliecat5.)
Excitement and nerves build in equal measure.  All the last-minute things, the moments of panic, things forgotten, endless enquiries and requests for change.  It’s getting closer.  Only five more sleeps and the day will dawn.

The forecast is good. 9 degrees (5 with wind chill), a 20% chance of rain, 14 knots of a westerly wind, excellent visibility.   It will be cold on the tops but snug in the valleys.  Trails drying as the day goes on.  

The beer has been ordered and physios lined up.  Food is ready, toilets dispatched, the smell of coffee on the horizon.  Medical guys on standby, farmers preparing to open their gates, our fantastic marshals reviewing their briefs.  Bikers oiling chains, water purchased, signs ready to be placed.   From humble beginnings to 300 runners, this is the Moyleman, an emotional roller-coaster. 

I know I will laugh, I know I will cry. There will be pain and frustration, moments of glory and times of despair. Smiling faces, endless cheer and hugs for those fighting their battles. It’s not about speed, it’s not about distance… it’s about being part of something so special. At then at the end, when all is quiet, we will raise a glass to absent friends and let a tear fall.

Don’t ever listen to the naysayers.  This is the Moyleman.   The best day of the year.
There is more to be done
07-03-2017, 08:46 PM,
All the best for the big day ... one year I'll make it. And then we can run it together!
Run. Just run.
07-03-2017, 11:10 PM,
Best of luck on Sunday! I'm sure it's going to be a great success.

Looking forward to taking part in it next year.

07-03-2017, 11:17 PM,
(07-03-2017, 11:10 PM)Antonio247 Wrote: ...Looking forward to taking part in it next year.

Wow! Is that definite, Antonio?
Run. Just run.
13-03-2017, 11:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 13-03-2017, 11:36 AM by Charliecat5.)
Usually I don’t have any problem spilling out my thoughts and feelings on here.  As you can tell from the quality of writing, I tend to just put down whatever enters my head.  Most of it written whilst out on the trails.

This time is different… it was the Moyleman yesterday… and I just don’t know where to start. 

What can I say in words that will do it justice?  All I want to say is THANK YOU… to everyone who helped, took part, literally went the extra mile.   You were all brilliant.  You were all fantastic.  You are all stars.

Just one special mention to my beautiful little girl, Bridget (11yo).  She got up with me at 6am yesterday.  She helped mark out the last sections. She climbed over Caburn to replace signs that had gone missing overnight.  She helped on the registration desk. She loaded bags into the bag drop van. She swept the whole of the school hall. She looked after the halfway refreshment table.  She then got a lift to the finish and spent four hours pouring water and handing out glasses and tokens to the runners.  At the end of all that she skipped across Harvey’s yard with a smile on her face and went home to do her homework.  I love that little girl more than words can say.

There is more to be done
13-03-2017, 12:14 PM,
Stop it man, or you'll have us all blubbering.

But indeed, hearty congratulations to all concerned (Bridget included, perhaps especially so). You've all done Chris and yourselves, and the wider community of runners everywhere, extremely proud.

Bravo!
Run. Just run.
13-03-2017, 10:39 PM,
Mate, you've raised a good 'un there. All done with a lovely smile (I didn't see her when you ran out of signs up Caburn and had to walk back). A credit to you.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph