Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XX Medio maratón de Almería 20th Almería half marathon
02-09-2016, 03:02 AM,
RE: XX Medio maratón de Almería 20th Almería half marathon
Bloody shame that MLCMMan is ruling himself out so soon. It could have been the single largest gathering of RC folk in the history of RC*. I need to poke Splodmeister to see if he plans on casting his formidable shadow over proceedings, though that might prove disastrous to the weak-willed amongst us, given that he is prone to sucking down a bathtub of rioja the night before the race.

There are more bodies lining up in the shadows. One or two Twittenistas have declared in interest. Moylebird may be up for it, too. I think we're going to need a bigger restaurant for Sunday ...

On that subject (jumps the gun and the shark in one deft move), whilst there will be no attempt at organisation on my part (once bitten, twice rabid) we perhaps should consider the one key element - the post-race meal. There will almost certainly be one or two Veggie/ Pescatarian folk in our number. A set/ fixed price menu (drinks included) with preselected veggie/ fish only options would be ideal. At this stage I'd say we're looking at a minimum head-count of 30 souls*.

Looking forward to this.
Andy, on the rowing stats front, where does resistance feature in the comparisons?
Is this in fact irrelevant (as in it's factored into the results) or could it be that one could row at a lower mark at a faster pace? Rowing could well be the answer when the last time you had stomach muscles some bloke in a mask and cape sliced them open like cheap baloney.

*Typically spurious Sweder stat plucked out of thin air, there

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

02-09-2016, 05:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2016, 04:14 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
No-one is more upset about me not being there than myself, I can assure you. I'll blog some more about it soon. but in essence, the corporate dunderheads who are my bosses at w*rk have received some funding and have now tendered for a system to replace the likes of myself with autonomous software within 18 months. This is a bunch of guys who couldn't put two Lego bricks together and who have so eroded standards that it makes us 'old guard' cry. Unfortunately, while they have the proverbial snowball's chance in hell of getting such a job-destroying system in place within 18 months, they are also the kind of narcissistic, psychopathic crisis managers who deliberately destroy their own departments in order to receive obscene 'productivity' bonuses (i.e. a percentage of the money they didn't spend out of their budget). They are quite likely to 're-classify' our positions, which is to say sack the lot of us and invite us to re-apply for a limited number of lower-paid positions which will then have to attempt to clean up the mess their management created. They have already made it perfectly clear there is no room for us 'old' guys in the new, 21st-century workplace.

This is a long-winded and (I'm sorry to say) vitriolic way of stating that with my employment on decidedly shaky ground we've had to curtail all non-essential travel plans for the foreseeable. And regrettably, that includes Almeria, which is a shame because it's exactly the kind of thing that takes my mind of the struggles of w*rk and enables me to continue functioning in a very dysfunctional environment. Needless to say, though, the expense can't be justified in the present circumstances and so I must bow out with as much dignity and grace as I can muster, little as that is just at the moment.

Of course, the event will be a huge success, especially with your wondrous host Antonio there to ensure all goes as smoothly as that delightfully zany country can allow.

As I say, I'll write something more about all this shortly. Hopefully with slightly more colourful, but less vitriolic language.

Adiós amigos.
Run. Just run.
03-09-2016, 08:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-09-2016, 08:27 PM by El Gordo.)
Time I dropped you that email I owe you, MLCMM. Stand by.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
05-09-2016, 03:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-09-2016, 03:17 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
STOP PRESS (does anyone even know what that means anymore?)... something just happened. The universe went haywire for a moment as if someone changed something in the matrix... and now it looks like I'm coming to Almeria after all!

I don't know quite what happened, but from the door being seemingly firmly shut, it suddenly opened wide and it's all on again! Though I will have to do some serious training.

Yay!
Run. Just run.
05-09-2016, 04:28 PM,
Yea! I'm so excited that you will be there MLCMM! I'm not missing this trip for anything, it will be so much fun! EG - I could be with you on the sidelines or the shorter distance. I may be getting surgery to repair my torn ACL, will know more soon. But that could mean a slow rehab and not sure if I'll be up to half marathon distance by then. I'll do what I can though to make it happen. I'm just so excited we will all be there. Is Almeria ready for us?

I'm not wishing my life away; but can hardly wait...!!
05-09-2016, 08:40 PM,
Hurrah MLCMM!!
Hurrah Suzie!!

Really sorry to hear about the possible ACL, Suzie. Did I know? I remember you saying a while ago you were injured but recovering. No point in 'encouraging' you as this is beyond the call of motivation and hard work. Depends what your doc advises. As for me, I'm definitely hoping/planning to take part. If SP is there, someone will have to restrain the fellow from forcing Rioja down my throat the night before the race, as happened last time. It was tragic, as I felt the world record was within my grasp. I've put together a training plan for the half, but will have to see how it goes.

I well remember us running the first few Ks together in 2005, before you plunged on up the field, That was bad enough, but being lapped by Haile Gebrselassie took the biscuit. I think I could have taken him in a rematch, but my people couldn't manage the right deal with his people, and the world was deprived of the spectacle.

Er, where was I?
El Gordo

05-09-2016, 08:48 PM,
It's good news week! Aside from Suzie's possible ACL, of course. Boo.
Mortality sucks, as I well know.

This is rather like a TV Game Show contestant reveal. I'm An RC Celebrity, Get Me In There.
Who will be the next Big Beast to throw his/ her hat onto La Ramblas?
Tune in tomorrow, sports fans ...

06-09-2016, 05:16 AM,
It's fantastic to have people from so many countries here next year. It's a pity that Suzie is injured with her ACL and won't probably be completely in shape for the half marathon but I'm sure we all will have a great time together. It'd be great if Nigel could come as well.

My aim is to train well, lose some kilos and go for a sub 2 hour half although I know it's going to be very difficult to achieve it. Age doesn't forgive.

Best of luck, amigos!

06-09-2016, 05:43 AM,
(06-09-2016, 05:16 AM)Antonio247 Wrote: It's fantastic to have people from  so many countries here next year. It's a pity that Suzie is injured with her ACL and won't  probably be completely in shape for the half marathon but I'm sure we all will have a great time together. It'd be great if Nigel could come as well.  

My aim is to train well, lose some kilos and go for a sub 2 hour half although I know it's going to be very difficult to achieve it. Age doesn't forgive.

Best of luck, amigos!

It's going to be a fantastic gathering, Antonio, and a great tribute to your friendship and hosting skills as much as the race and Almeria itself.

You are right of course, that age doesn't forgive. I'm not sure if I have another sub-2 hour race in me, but I'll see how well the training goes, and if I do, it would be an honour to try and pace you to that mark if you still wish to do so. But let's not pressure ourselves too much - the gathering of friends from across the globe is celebration enough.

I am so looking forward to this, it is going to be great!
Run. Just run.
06-09-2016, 02:31 PM,
Muchas gracias for offering to be my pacemaker, MlCMM! I don't know how I'll be by then but if I'm lucky with injuries and I feel fit enough it'd be great to try and achieve a sub two hour. I really appreciate your offer. However, as you said, the race is the excuse to gather a bunch of friends who like running, jogging, plodding, strolling ... and have a good time together.

Looking forward to meeting all the friends who can come here in February.

Saludos desde Almería. Greetings from Almería.

10-09-2016, 10:02 AM,
Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man

But let's not pressure ourselves too much - the gathering of friends from across the globe is celebration enough.

Wise, wise words. Getting round, whichever distance we choose, or the race orgainsers present us with, is the only running aim we should have at this one. Friends well met is what matters.

23-09-2016, 12:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 23-09-2016, 12:51 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
An ode (to Almeria's climate).

Almeria
she's a stinker
in the summertime...

But in the winter
it's a sin to
miss Medio Maraton.
Run. Just run.
23-09-2016, 02:12 PM,
Gracias, MLCMM.Beautiful ode. Although the climate is usually mild in winter here, on those few days. It could be rainy, sunny, warm, cold... I hope you all are lucky with the weather at that long weekend but if you aren't, I'm sure we'll have a good time and enjoy the gathering and the race.

Saludos desde Almería

25-09-2016, 12:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-09-2016, 12:19 PM by El Gordo.)
I actually went for a "run" yesterday, my first in.... years? Though the plod was more walking than anything definable as running. And today, yesterday's 6 gentle kilometres feel more like 6 rounds with Tyson Fury. Bloody hell -- I'm a physical wreck. Time for 30 mins of rowing in a kill-or-cure effort. At least I've managed to drop 7 pounds or so in the last week, despite an appearance at the Oktoberfest in Munich.

If I have the strength, I will try to post a proper blog entry later.
El Gordo

26-09-2016, 12:46 AM,
(25-09-2016, 12:15 PM)El Gordo Wrote: I actually went for a "run" yesterday, my first in.... years? Though the plod was more walking than anything definable as running. And today, yesterday's 6 gentle kilometres feel more like 6 rounds with Tyson Fury. Bloody hell -- I'm a physical wreck. Time for 30 mins of rowing in a kill-or-cure effort. At least I've managed to drop 7 pounds or so in the last week, despite an appearance at the Oktoberfest in Munich.

If I have the strength, I will try to post a proper blog entry later.

Good work, Mr. G!

It's getting very interesting round here...
Run. Just run.
26-09-2016, 07:52 PM,
That's a wondeful piece of news, EG! As the Chinese proverbs says "The journey of a thousand miles stats with one step". I hope that you manage to go on training and little by little you'll be able to do at least the 9 K.

02-10-2016, 07:39 AM,
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATION Recommendations

**This is not an organised trip ** This is not an organised trip ** This is not an organised ... you got it ...

Just so we're clear, everyone makes their own bookings and and arrangements. 
There is no obligation to follow these suggestions, but this is what I'm shooting for.

FLIGHTS - Easyjey - LGW - Almeria
Departs Saturday 4th Feb 07:20 - currently listed at GBP 46.49 PP
Return Tuesday 7th Feb 11:50 - currently listed at GBP 15.49 PP

http://www.easyjet.com/en/ 

HOTEL - NH Ciudad de Almeria (4 Star)
Check in Sat 4th Feb
Check out Tues 7th Feb
Currently listed at EUR 58 per room (for two people, so EUR 29 PP sharing)

http://www.nh-hotels.com/hotels/almeria?campid=8435708&ct=287135536&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4MK_BRC1n6KTtezikbIBEiQA872hYUH02PPIVoeeGgc4I_p7ENMqr-0ZweG4I04wFrsDGVAaAv7a8P8HAQ&dclid=COH-4sDLu88CFcaZFgodKcoBlQ

WHAT HAPPENS
Traditionally we get in, grab a coffee, stroll off to the race HQ to collect numbers and dine on pasta somewhere on Saturday night. Race on Sunday morning, shower and beer back the hotel then off to a restaurant that Antonio has recommended/ set up a set menu meal deal (always excellent, always very reasonable).

To help Antonio out I thought we could set up one of those Facebook 'Event' pages where people can say they are attending - just for the meal on Sunday - to give Antonio a clue about numbers. I'll post a link to that here once I figure out how to set this up. Anyone not on Fleecebook can reply to this and we'll add you to the numbers. That's just for the meal on Sunday afternoon.

Sunday evening some of us hit Molly Malone's (not called that for several years but hey).
Monday is stroll about, hit the seafront, recovery jog or for the more adventurous perhaps a trip to Cabo de Gata National Park for a very gentle run along some wild coastline. Monday evening is open, some will probably head our for some R & R.

ADVISORY NOTICE
None of the above is compulsory or indeed recommended as being especially good for you.
Some take a different course, such as necking bottles of Rioja on Saturday night and blowing out the whole thing. We're each an experiment of one. Hope to see you there.

02-10-2016, 04:11 PM,
I think it's been a great idea to create that facebook page for the post race meal. Thank you very much, S. I think that we can go to the restaurant La encina as in previous years. They adapt their dishes to the different clients' nutritional options at a reasonable price. I think it's quite good value. However, if you or any other friends feel like trying a new one, I could explore other possibilites.

http://www.restaurantelaencina.net/

Saludos desde Almería

02-10-2016, 04:40 PM,
(02-10-2016, 04:11 PM)Antonio247 Wrote: I think it's been a great idea to create that facebook page for the post race meal. Thank you very much, S. I think that we can go to the restaurant La encina as in previous years. They adapt their dishes to the different clients' nutritional options at a reasonable price. I think it's quite good value. However, if you or any other friends feel like trying a new one, I could explore other possibilites.

http://www.restaurantelaencina.net/

Saludos desde Almería

For me, I am coming to experience the full on Almeria experience ... and if I have to run 13 miles before I'm allowed to enter the restaurant La encina, then so be it.
There is more to be done
02-10-2016, 07:29 PM,
The Facebook Event page is up and running. It's a private page, so you have to be invited to view
I have sent invites to those on FB and e-mails to those not (that I know about). Anyone interested not invited is, of course, welcome to join us - park a comment on here and I'll add your name.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Brighton Marathon entry 2011 stillwaddler 31 34,780 14-08-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Medio Maraton XXI Almeria 2018 Sweder 19 4,469 13-12-2017, 06:56 PM
  Brighton Half Seanmacrook 0 1,230 10-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Seanmacrook
  Almería half marathon 2014 Antonio247 43 27,977 31-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Almeria Medio Maraton (merged threads) ladyrunner 174 146,820 26-01-2013, 11:06 AM
  London Marathon 2014 El Gordo 5 9,474 28-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  A trip to Holland plus Rotterdam Marathon ladyrunner 8 10,594 08-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  Amsterdam Marathon Oct 10 ladyrunner 13 15,653 15-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  Virgin London Marathon 2011 marathondan 12 14,215 29-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Re: Firle Half Marathon Sunday 26th September The Beast of Bevendean 1 5,731 03-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Sweder