Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heavy traffic on the Thames
11-07-2016, 10:25 AM,
RE: Heavy traffic on the Thames
(11-07-2016, 09:30 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote: Don't we run simply because we enjoy it?

Good Lord, no.

I enjoy the anticipation, the runner's high afterwards, being out in the fresh air, drifting downhill, getting so far into the meditative state that I forget I'm running, counting down the miles to home... all of that. But most of the actual one-foot-in-front-of-the-other is hard work, much of it uncomfortable.

Running's great... when you stop.
11-07-2016, 01:03 PM,
(11-07-2016, 10:25 AM)marathondan Wrote:
(11-07-2016, 09:30 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote: Don't we run simply because we enjoy it?

Good Lord, no.

I enjoy the anticipation, the runner's high afterwards, being out in the fresh air, drifting downhill, getting so far into the meditative state that I forget I'm running, counting down the miles to home... all of that. But most of the actual one-foot-in-front-of-the-other is hard work, much of it uncomfortable.

That's a great answer!  Smile
11-07-2016, 09:02 PM,
(11-07-2016, 01:03 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote:
(11-07-2016, 10:25 AM)marathondan Wrote:

Good Lord, no.

That's a great answer!  Smile

I must be doing it wrong... I quite like the running itself.
There is more to be done
12-07-2016, 11:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-07-2016, 11:26 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
"...much of it uncomfortable... I quite like the running itself. "

How very masochistic. At least it explains your politics. Heath, Thatcher,  Brexit...

And in case any of you doubted my credentials, I do indeed possess the genuine, original 7" very floppy plastic record of this gem of British political comedy.
Run. Just run.
19-11-2016, 10:54 PM,
I'm having another little go at the mile a day challenge. Not actually running a mile every day, but aiming to average 365 miles a year. In theory it should only take an average of 10 minutes a day. I restarted a month ago, then promptly didn't run for 9 days, then very satisfyingly clawed back to 22 miles in 22 days. And then of course didn't run for another 9 days. Finished the one month period on 25, which isn't too bad.

365 miles a year is of course a pretty modest target, but it's a damn sight better than doing nothing. Being on my feet all day at school seems to be doing me good; I'm working late at home and often reaching for the sugary cereals but not putting on any weight. Not commuting by car, and spending much less time at a desk, are great.

The runs I've managed have been good, taking in some new routes around obscure parts of Bracknell and Windsor as I grab the odd half hour during kids' music lessons or gymnastics sessions. Tonight I added those last three miles with a nostalgic post-sunset plod around the old field. A month ago I was reaching for the Sweder Thesaurus of terms for under-used lungs (dried-out teabags may be my favourite). But a 9 day layoff is a lot easier to recover from, and I felt fresh and finished strongly.

I still think of winter in terms of the marathon training season. Right now I would be getting in a month's base miles before starting the ramp-up proper around Christmas. It will happen again.
20-11-2016, 10:08 PM,
(19-11-2016, 10:54 PM)marathondan Wrote:  Tonight I added those last three miles with a nostalgic post-sunset plod around the old field.

Oh yes, we remember that field, and the moon too...

Glad things are going well for you after your very brave career change.

And 365 miles a year is a good target, but 587k sounds better!
21-11-2016, 08:25 PM,
Not a shred of energy left today, after trying to convince year 10 that it's worth their while learning about Newton's 2nd law, followed by back to back year 7 chemistry practicals (aka herding cats).

The time to run will come.
17-12-2016, 11:37 PM,
Managed to put together a really impressive 28 day streak... of not running. Never have I been so busy in all my life. (But I love it.) Have now broken up from school, so got a short run in today around a foggy field to try and get things started again. Will try and run every other day through the holidays.

Lay in bed last night thinking that if I can run once a week during term time, and 3 times a week during holidays, 4.5 miles each time, that's [39+(3*13)]*4.5 = 351 miles a year. Even that is sounding like a tall order though. My policy may just have to be... run for fun.
19-12-2016, 08:36 PM,
'Run for fun' is an admirable policy, Dan.
One I feel I'm certain to adopt post-Almeria.
Good to hear your School days are still bringing you pleasure.
They appear to have sharpened your ability to work with numbers and brackets, too.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

13-02-2017, 10:28 PM,
Marathondan posting on RC... it must be half term!

A slew of inspiring tales from Spain encouraged me out for an old-fashioned late nighter just now. A crisp night, nearly a full moon, needle slightly above zero.

Some lovely posts coming out of Almeria, well done everyone on both the running and the writing. Good to see many people well out of their comfort zones; a reminder that those finisher's medals are not cheaply won. Also a reminder to me that a half marathon is quite an undertaking. If when I ever find time to attempt the full enchilada again, I would do well to get a couple of those under my belt again first.

Keep up the good work folks, I will be tagging along in your wake somewhere for now.