Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
April Powers
22-04-2016, 04:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 22-04-2016, 04:35 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
RE: April Powers
Captain's log.

Caution!  There may be statistics ahead, but I promise there’ll be no equations.

Despite the laudable exhortations of such erudite authors as Richard Askwith and Christopher McDougall to run free, that is without stopwatch or GPS or perhaps even without a route in mind, fans of numbers and statistics such as myself do find that the accumulation of data over time is of enormous benefit when planning and training for a particular outcome, be it a race, a weight loss goal or just a particular level of fitness. I think this is doubly true for people like me who have a natural aversion to routine and whose shift-working career in any case make planning and sticking to a schedule enormously difficult.

That isn’t to say that I haven’t also ‘run free’ from time to time, and indeed there are several lengthy periods missing from my spreadsheets where I recorded no running data at all. And yes, sometimes that is because ahem, I wasn’t running anyway, but there are also long spells where I did run but did not ever record the fact or any of the salient details in my running log. And having tried both recording, and not recording my runs, I can say with considerable certainty that I definitely fall into the ‘prefer to log everything to the n th degree’ camp, and that means complete with charts, forecasts, data dissection analysis and all kinds of numerical nonsense which is fun for me, but about as enticing as garden snail shell collecting to most others.

Of course there’s often a price to be paid for this devotion to data duty, and that has come to light as I’ve gone back over my data recently in order to better plan my running goals for the latter half of this year and onwards into next year. The price one pays for the keeping of this data is the glaring, often brutal, slaps-you-about-the-face honesty of the spread sheet. In good times this unarguable frankness can be reassuring, but with me being such an undisciplined soul, all too often my running log merely reveals just how little running I sometimes do over embarrassing, unfathomable numbers of weeks and sometimes even months.

Oftentimes I blind myself to the reality of how little running I do. For example, take last year. 2015 was memorable for a couple of magical runs overseas whilst on holiday and it’s these I focus on, which tends to make me romanticise the whole deal and think that it was something of a fantastic, athletic year. The cold, hard data on the other hand tells me that in terms of distance run it was in fact probably my worst year since taking up the sport. My total mileage for the calendar year equated to just a few good weeks of solid running at most other times. Even worse, the spreadsheet tells me that 2014 wasn’t a whole lot better either.

The positive spin I put on this is that at least I know where I stand, and have ramped up my running in 2016 slowly and cautiously for the simple reason that in reality I have precious little mileage in my legs and so must be careful. If I didn’t have that cold, hard data staring me down, I’d almost certainly don the rose-tinted glasses and go out and train really hard on the false notion that I’m still fit from the previous year. Then inevitably I would get injured, which would further result in a severe loss of motivation. It’s a cycle I know all too well, but perhaps, just perhaps this year I’ve got the problem sorted, thanks largely due to the unblinking certainty of the spreadsheet.

One other way in which the spreadsheet helps is with the tricky business of weight loss. Whilst I’m not exactly obese, I am several kilograms over my ideal running weight, which is a fair bit in percentage terms and which I’m getting slowly under control. Of course weight fluctuates, and if all you ever do is check the bathroom scales in the morning, it’s very hard not to get a little despondent when for no apparent reason your weight suddenly leaps upward, which seems to happen on a regular basis. It wasn’t until I started charting my weight that I realised this was perfectly normal, and that if you looked at it graphically over time, you see that it is the overall trend which is the thing to watch and daily fluctuations are normal and nothing to be alarmed about. I weigh around 79 kilograms at the moment, but this can fluctuate by as much as a kilogram or more in just 24 hours. Even more alarmingly, it tends to happen after a day of frugality and exercise, i.e. when I least expect it, and which can be very bad news for the motivation gland. Have a look at the chart however, and you easily see clear progress in the right direction. No panic is needed - it all looks good, even if I suddenly put on a kilo or so for no readily explained reason...

[Image: weight.jpg]

With all this in mind, I plod on, enjoying noticeable progress but without (touch wood) risking any injury.

Today’s outing was a modest 5km, but completed at a reasonably tough incline and pace, making it another honest work out and despite its brevity a run that shows marked progress readily confirmed by the scrupulously honest, number munching spreadsheet.

With just three weeks until the Sydney half marathon, I don’t yet know what I may be capable of running, but headway is being made, and I’m enjoying my running. As Askwith and McDougall are at pains to point out, enjoyment is the main point of running, with fitness and attainment of goals a natural by-product of that enjoyment.

And look, after all that, there were hardly any stats at all. Happy days.

[Image: treadmill-running.jpg]
Run. Just run.
24-04-2016, 07:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 24-04-2016, 03:27 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Bad dog run!

After two weeks of night shifts, it takes the body a while to recover. And so while I had a long run scheduled for today I wasn't convinced it was going to be easy or perhaps even happen at all. So much so that when my occasional running partner Next Door Andy suggested we tackle the Lane Cove River run today I declined as graciously as I could.

It turned out to be wise thinking. Up very late this morning after a less-than-wonderful night's sleep, I took to the treadmill, feeling underdone and uncertain as to how much of my scheduled 21 kilometres I was going to actually manage. At the five kilometre mark I had to take a phone call. Thereafter I could only manage one more kilometre before caving in to the inevitable.

Reminiscent of my disastrous 2009 Canberra marathon campaign, I lay down on the floor right there and fell into a fitful sleep, such was the state of my exhaustion despite completing only six of the scheduled 21 kilometres. Unlike that awful, calamitous effort of seven years ago however, this is just one unsurprising bad run on the back of two hellish weeks of killer shifts, and not a knife in the back of my training. The occasional bad run is an inevitable part of race preparation and nothing to get too alarmed about. I'll have to rework the schedule a bit to get back on track, but I will get there.

Short as the run was, I do have a wonderful TdJ for you. It's not widely known, but Tiny Tim, he of ukulele and tip-toeing through tulips fame, recorded an album of rock classics many years ago (here in Australia, as it happens), including this one that popped up on random play near the end of my run. Enjoy, it's a little (tiny bit?) different!

Run. Just run.
29-04-2016, 07:16 AM,
Well the transition from nights to early morning has brought on another attack of insomnia which has stopped me running for a few days, but I hope to be back into it tomorrow.

Stupid shift work.
Run. Just run.
30-04-2016, 01:06 PM,
Short, satisfying but unremarkable 6km this morning. There's a sub-plot to this story, but in the interests of mystery and intrigue, and as a result of alcohol intake, it will have to wait. Later, friends, later.
Run. Just run.
30-04-2016, 03:27 PM,
(30-04-2016, 01:06 PM)LMid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Short, satisfying but unremarkable 6km this morning. There's a sub-plot to this story, but in the interests of mystery and intrigue, and as a result of alcohol intake, it will have to wait. Later, friends, later.

You're such a tease.
There is more to be done

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  April May Yet test me... Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 13 3,497 07-06-2019, 03:46 AM
Last Post: suzieq
  April Fuels Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 24 4,759 30-04-2018, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  April May be alright. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 21 4,949 02-05-2017, 09:14 AM
  April showers. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 17 6,664 14-05-2015, 06:05 PM
  April Fuel 2014 Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 32 15,951 29-04-2014, 10:14 AM
  Orange Silver April Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 40 26,936 03-05-2013, 05:30 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Stable April Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 26 10,916 01-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  April Cools Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 33 21,851 05-05-2011, 12:05 AM
  Au revoir, April. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 4 2,639 01-05-2010, 10:49 AM
  April Bloody April, Nothing Rhymes With April. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 31 18,548 01-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler