Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
October is a fine and dangerous season
22-10-2015, 12:17 PM,
RE: October is a fine and dangerous season
Work, work, work and more work.  Travel has precluded me from joining the herd this week.  But fear not, I have been out.  A fast three mile run around Lewes on Monday evening and another similar run around Market Harborough on Wednesday evening.  Hopefully this weekend will lend itself to a little romp over the Downs.
There is more to be done
22-10-2015, 12:18 PM,
(18-10-2015, 05:03 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: And I may need some time to train. But the room is already ready. Will it be one or more guests?

Send me your spreadsheet*.

*Ask Sweder or Seafront Plodder about the significance of this request.

*whispers quietly*  If we make it... it'll be four of us.  Two big kids, two little ones.
There is more to be done
23-10-2015, 08:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 23-10-2015, 08:25 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(22-10-2015, 12:18 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote:
(18-10-2015, 05:03 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: And I may need some time to train. But the room is already ready. Will it be one or more guests?

Send me your spreadsheet*.

*Ask Sweder or Seafront Plodder about the significance of this request.

*whispers quietly*  If we make it... it'll be four of us.  Two big kids, two little ones.

Lordy ... lucky the booze store isn't too far away.
Run. Just run.
28-10-2015, 08:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-11-2015, 11:00 AM by Charliecat5.)
At 8:30 yesterday morning I arrived at Birchanger services for a meeting (I know, it’s a glamourous life).  This started with breakfast: a large bucket of coffee and a croissant.  Having completed the meeting at around 12:30 I grabbed a bite size sausage roll and legged it down the road for another meeting that took the best part of the afternoon.  A quick de-brief and then I was back on the road, furiously heading south in an attempt to meet up with the herd at 19:00.

My Satnav consistently said I would arrive home at 19:00 and amazingly, probably due to the half-term lack of traffic, I did.  I raced in, shouted “hello”, stripped off my suit, climbed into my stinking running gear and was back out of the door, flying down to the leisure centre.  Will I make it?

At 19:06 I leapt out of the car and immediately joined the back of the pack as they were setting off.  Phew… back in the herd… with no idea where we were heading or what we had planned.

It didn’t take me long to realise that the intermediates had joined with the crazies again… so 10 minutes after arriving home following a very long day with very little sustenance, I was running with the Crazies out past Tesco and up to Malling.  Here we stopped, so our Master, the great leader, explained the evening’s entertainment.  Tagging with a partner around a 1km circuit.  Before we set off he spent a little time explaining the importance of pushing our individual boundaries if we wanted to improve…  how we should try that little bit harder… how running was a personal challenge and that we were all different.  He even draw a couple of virtual circles to re-inforce his point.  It was all useful stuff, but I tried to explain that I had been pushing my boundaries since we left base camp and I now needed a rest… he wasn’t listening.

The objective of this exercise is to run in opposite directions around a circuit and when we meet our partner to ‘tag’, turn around and run back again with the aim to get back at the same time.  In other words, however fast or slow you run the first leg… you have to do the same on the way back.  It’s downhill on the way out… it’s up hill on the way back.  And obviously, for all the Master’s chat about ‘running is all about the individual’, it became competitive.

Twice we did this soddin’ exercise.  The first one was alright… the second and I was really suffering from a lack of energy.  It was quite remarkable… legs had turned to lead, heart was racing, a little bit of dizziness at the end of the stage.   But at least it was now time to head back home.   But wait… the Master decided that we should all run another circuit first… and this was properly competitive.  I didn’t come last… but I wasn’t far off.

At last we set off home… but not the direct route… oh no!  We went the long way back.  Eventually I climbed back into the car having done 5.3 tough, tough miles.   It was the hardest run I’ve done with the club… but it was good to be out there.   

Note to self… eat and drink before I go running.  
There is more to be done
29-10-2015, 09:48 AM,
(28-10-2015, 08:39 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote: Note to self… eat and drink before I go running.  

This appears to be the least of my worries

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

29-10-2015, 07:22 PM,
(29-10-2015, 09:48 AM)Sweder Wrote:
(28-10-2015, 08:39 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote: Note to self… eat and drink before I go running.  

Eat? Is that important?
Run. Just run.
29-10-2015, 08:35 PM,
(29-10-2015, 07:22 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:

Eat? Is that important?

An example of my nutritional intake (and I use the word 'nutritional' in it's broadest sense).

Breakfast: Coffee and a pain au raison
Lunch: a sandwich and a slice of pork pie (with pickle)
Tea: A bag of crisps and a healthy cereal bar (washed down with a diet coke)

Here I am at 20:33 on a train, working, still an hour out of London having set off at stupid o'clock this morning.  This is the freedom that working for yourself delivers.  Living the dream guys... living the dream.   
There is more to be done
31-10-2015, 11:37 AM,
(29-10-2015, 08:35 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote:
(29-10-2015, 07:22 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:

Eat? Is that important?

An example of my nutritional intake (and I use the word 'nutritional' in it's broadest sense).

Breakfast: Coffee and a pain au raison
Lunch: a sandwich and a slice of pork pie (with pickle)
Tea: A bag of crisps and a healthy cereal bar (washed down with a diet coke)

Here I am at 20:33 on a train, working, still an hour out of London having set off at stupid o'clock this morning.  This is the freedom that working for yourself delivers.  Living the dream guys... living the dream.   

What? No beer? You are damnably healthy, sir.
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December ('tis the season) Charliecat5 23 9,155 31-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  October 2014 Charliecat5 21 8,150 29-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Last Post: glaconman