Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
September ... why isn't it Nontember?
24-09-2015, 09:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 28-09-2015, 12:01 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Rabbits, running, rainbows.
Rabbits, running and rainbows.

The weather here has taken a turn for the worse, with a huge high pressure system moving across from the west, bringing an icy, wet blast of Antarctic weather up from the south. It’s great news for skiers, with unusually large falls of snow on the ski slopes, almost unheard of this late in the season. Workplaces have emptied as ski fans fall suddenly and suspiciously ill, their tanned faces and etched-in-place silly smiles giving the game away on their return from two or three days of ‘sick leave’.

Great for skiing it may be, but for runners and commuters down here on the coastal fringes it’s just cold, wet and windy. I went to bed last night to the sound of heavy rain drumming on the roof and wondering what the chances were in the morning of me actually donning the running gear I had left out for the early run. I awoke to the sound of silence, or so I thought. In fact the rain was just less heavy than earlier, but raining it was and chilly with it. With toast and coffee beckoning in the kitchen I nearly chose to opt out of the run but I’m pleased to say I only seriously considered it for a moment before grasping the nettle, as it were, and waddling out the door and into the drizzly night.

To my surprise and relief I had discovered I could still squeeze into my Adidas sleeveless running rain jacket (hallelujah), and with that in place and a cap low over my eyes I ran off into the rain. Intending to run just a little further than last time, I wandered off fairly aimlessly, just roaming around the local streets, avoiding the worst of the hills and perhaps ducking down one or two side streets not previously explored. Rabbits were everywhere, and once again we seem to be in the midst of a bunny plague. For a few years their numbers had declined, but now the ‘burbs are a bunny paradise and everywhere I ran they would scatter, parting like a bunnykin red sea.

After the first few minutes which were of course cold and miserable, the run became enjoyable despite the rain, and I ventured a little further afield feeling pretty good with myself. The run was slow (very), and I avoided the worst of the hills, but I was out there, going through the motions of becoming a runner again and feeling pretty good about it. Only a deep-down double-sided stitch late in the run made it a bit uncomfortable, but I ran a little further than last time and returned in better nick than before, so on the whole a very satisfying outing. Except for the fact that I needed to return home and prepare for work I could have stayed out a little longer, so already there are some encouraging signs of improvement for me.

I was a little sleepy on the train into town, but as I walked through the grand concourse at Central Station I started to feel fantastic, and I knew this was going to be a good day. As I ventured outside into the streets and as if in response to my buoyant mood and return to the world of running, I was greeted with this magnificent rainbow.

Why oh why did I ever stop running? This is brilliant!

[Image: 20150925_065118.jpg]
Outside Central Station, Sydney, 6:45 a.m.
Run. Just run.

Messages In This Thread
Rabbits, running, rainbows. - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 24-09-2015, 09:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A quiet September Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 2 729 23-09-2018, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  September sell out Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 8 2,902 07-10-2014, 12:29 AM
  September 2013 - The Fear Mounts Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 23 11,336 01-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  September 2011 - The Fear Begins. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 18 10,581 19-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Last Post: suzieq
  Sit up September Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 24 18,946 01-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  September Already Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 1,321 31-08-2007, 09:09 PM
  September... Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 42 19,699 05-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler