Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kader
14-05-2015, 11:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 17-06-2015, 08:16 AM by Sweder.)
Kader
Facebook Messenger delivered some terrible news yesterday. Kader, our companion on the 30th Marathon de Paris adventure, guide, cheerleader, masseur, repairer of torn flesh and all-round good egg, passed away in an Algerian hospital after the sudden, vicious return of pancreatic cancer. He'd been unwell for some time, never letting his spirit drop or his enthusiasm for life wane despite a brutal series of operations and treatments in Brighton hospital.

Kader Sidi-Moussa was a man apart. Selected to represent his beloved Algeria at the 1980 Moscow Olympics as a boxer, he completed over a dozen marathons, each in under three hours. His forte, however, was in real distance running. Kader was a regular competitor in the London to Brighton (circa 55 miles) race, took on the Comrades in SA and completed the infamous Marathon de Sables, 155 miles across the Sahara desert, ironically raising money for a cancer charity. 

The highlight of his sporting career, however, was to come in 2006, where he coached this shambling tub of lard to a first sub-4 marathon through thr streets of the City Of Love. He receives several honorary mentions in my race report. He called me 'Nosh-Nosh', a reference, I believe, to my voracious appetite after long training runs. 30th Marathon de Paris, 2006

Kader was unerringly generous of spirit and support for others. Despite his own enviable pedigree he always made you feel your own endeavours were worthy and valid. He is much-loved amongst the Sussex runners, many will mourn his passing. I like to think that he and Chris are even now ploughing through golden, knee-high grass under a gentle sun, swapping stories and laughing at us all.

Rest in peace, old friend.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

14-05-2015, 12:12 PM,
RE: Kader
Nice tribute Sweder. He must have left a huge hole now he's gone. No doubt you will carry him onwards in some way.