Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
April is upon us
09-04-2015, 01:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2015, 01:11 PM by Charliecat5.)
April is upon us
Two runs so far this month… with Mrs CC5 now breathing down my neck (she has achieved her couch to 5k with weeks to spare and is not stopping) and also with a run planned with the infamous MLCMM and Billy Goat Gruff in a couple of weeks, I need to get my skates on.

Monday’s run followed a weekend of cider drinking and four consecutive (yes FOUR) roast dinners, but I managed Blackcap and back – 6.75 miles in an hour which was a pleasing given the state of me. 

This morning the alarm was set for 6:30 with a run up the mighty Kingston Ridge planned… at 7:30 I was still lying in bed.  With work beckoning this evening it only left lunchtime for a little foray out into the sunshine.   To run up to Kingston would take too long, so I decided to do Sweder’s circuit (well if he’s not doing it, someone has to).  This is one of my favourite short runs as it takes you quickly away from civilisation, has a nice steep hill to plod up and finishes on a long downhill.  This lunch time I managed a new personal best for this route– 3 miles in 23 minutes.

However, whilst my feet, legs and arms were celebrating this new success (don't ask me why my arms were joining in)… my mind was reflecting on the fact that although my fastest lap was 7.06 minutes; the winners of the Moyleman (you know, those who ran 26 miles of tough, off-road, hilly trails) averaged under 7 minutes/mi over the whole distance.

There is more to be done.
There is more to be done
14-04-2015, 01:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 14-04-2015, 04:48 PM by Charliecat5.)
RE: April is upon us

Inspired by a beautiful short film posted by Glaconman, I was out the door this lunch time with real zeal in my boots. 

The sun was shining, the Downs were sparkling and I was moving at a record pace (for me).  To mix it up a little I headed in the opposite direction today for three miles around the Kingston circuit.  It's not very hilly and there is quite a lot of tarmac, but I achieved another PB... so it'll do.
There is more to be done
20-04-2015, 07:25 AM,
I am trying (I am very trying) to pick up the pace… short runs (3 miles) under 8 minutes; mediums under 9 minutes and long’uns under 10 minutes.

The upshot is that I am aching like a bugger this morning.

I ran 11 miles yesterday evening, climbed 394 metres and achieved an overall pace of 10 minutes per mile.   Home to Blackcap… SDW across the A27… up the Relentless Bastard and back home along Juggs Lane.   

A week of early starts and late nights probably means the next run will be Saturday with MLCMM and Billy Goat Gruff.   Strangely I find myself looking forward to it.

There is more to be done
20-04-2015, 07:41 AM,
(20-04-2015, 07:25 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote: I ran 11 miles yesterday evening, climbed 394 metres and achieved an overall pace of 10 minutes per mile.   Home to Blackcap… SDW across the A27… up the Relentless Bastard and back home along Juggs Lane.   

A week of early starts and late nights probably means the next run will be Saturday with MLCMM and Billy Goat Gruff.   Strangely I find myself looking forward to it.

That's a damn fine run. It's good of you to abstain from training this week, to at least give the others a chance of keeping up with you.
25-04-2015, 07:38 AM,
Just to be clear, there is NO chance of us keeping up with him.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-04-2015, 07:43 AM,
No. None at all. But it does mean that he can get the first round of drinks in.
Run. Just run.
25-04-2015, 01:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-04-2015, 01:11 PM by Charliecat5.)
Running with giants

What an exciting morning… not only do we have Billy Goat Gruff back on the trails proper, but this morning we were also joined by MLCMM for a little jaunt up Blackcap.   These are men who have conquered the Point to Pinnacle in Hobart, the men who have run so many races it’s hard to keep count, men who I have looked to for inspiration since starting running, and here they are running alongside me (well somewhat behind me to be honest… but I promised not to mention that). 

I turned up at Chez Sweder bang on the nail at the agreed time to find said ‘giants of running’ not long out of bed, and one still in his jeans muttering about coffee… but in no time both humans and dogs were out of the door ready to go.  Satellites found… ‘GO’ buttons pressed and we were on our way… a nice easy warm up mile taking us to the start of the Moyleman. 

And what a *joy* it was to following BGG’s arse again after all these months AND in the company of MLCMM.  Once we reached the start of the Moyleman the run began in earnest and our guest started to realise quite quickly (well actually, quite slowly) that the Moyleman really does start with a long up-hill climb. 

The weather was perfect for running, albeit the views were sadly lost in the mist, and before long we were through the gate into the field that runs up to the top.  I noted with interest that the big man, who apparently is still recuperating, was starting to set quite an impressive pace, but with the top in  sight (if you used your imagination) I pushed on ahead… mainly to give myself a few minutes to get their surprise ready at the top - a bottle of Harveys to share. 

After a few sips of beer we turned and headed back down via Mount Harry with a little detour thrown in to show off the beautiful views (ahem) of Lewes.

All in all we did 6 miles… but it was the big inane grins on the faces of them both as they topped Blackcap that I will remember for a long time to come.

A really memorable run… thanks both for making it so.  
There is more to be done
27-04-2015, 06:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-04-2015, 06:28 PM by Charliecat5.)
You know that feeling when you just can’t be bothered.  That was me an hour ago.  The procrastination had got so bad I found myself doing admin which had been sitting on my desk since Christmas.  

But it had to be done.  I mentally tried to put myself in that exciting place I experienced on Saturday running with MLCMM and BGG to put a spring in my step… and tried to forget the amount of beer I drank on Saturday evening which is probably the root cause of my lethargy.

Kingston Ridge was the destination and to spice things up, I forced myself up steeper northern path   to really test out the calf muscles.   As usual, running along the top, with the wind behind me and the sheep looking on (looking on bemused it has to be said – but then sheep always look bemused) made all the hard work getting up there worthwhile.   

I mention sheep, because until MLCMM pointed it out on Saturday, I had never noticed the amount of sheep poo on these trails… for me it just part of life, something that helps your shoes grip to the hill sides.  But now he’s mentioned it… I can’t help notice there is quite a lot.

One thing that still frustrates me is my inability to run downhill quickly – it really shouldn't be that hard when gravity is on your side - but my downhill pace is really no quicker than my 'on the flat' pace.  I need to work on this and probably take some advice on technique.  Nailing this would make a real difference to my times.

Running back home along Juggs Lane I experienced that wonderful thing when dark clouds form on one horizon and the evening sun shines out on the other, creating a amazing conjunction of contrast and colour.   I’ve said it before, and I will say it again… this is why I love running.

4.75 miles and an average pace of 8:44.  That’ll do.
There is more to be done
27-04-2015, 08:01 PM,
I was mightily impressed by your fitness on Saturday, young Skywalker. Now doubly so, especially as I bottled out of my planned short run this morning. Nine hours on my feet screaming at flaggers to 'attack that hill! It's the last hill before you get your MEDAL!!!' had taken a heavy toll on my already-a-bit-sore-after-Saturday legs. So I settled for an early walk instead.

Now I've read this I'll have to nip out tomorrow for some ugly hill reps (the sheep field is, er, sheepless at the moment).
Bugger.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

29-04-2015, 09:41 PM,
Sheep pooh is something every Aussie runner is familiar with, but I must admit the Sussex Downs version (black, sloppy and omnipresent) was impressive. It's odour doubly so.

Despite the ubiquitous ovine faecal matter, it was a great privilege to run with yourself and the mighty Sweder. I have no doubt you will achieve all your running goals and then some. Watching your arse disappear into the mist ahead of me it became obvious you are a runner of great class. Keep going and you will garner more from this sport than you ever thought possible.

Cheers, and thanks!
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here cometh April Charliecat5 31 12,192 24-04-2016, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Charliecat5