Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March is Moyleman month
01-03-2015, 01:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2015, 01:58 PM by Charliecat5.)
March is Moyleman month
February seems to have gone in the blink of an eye.  It has been really busy with loads on at work and a great weeks skiing in the Alps, plus numerous games of squash to fit in.  However, I didn’t manage a single run.  The last run (second half of the Moyleman) took place on the 31st January and the one following that was this morning, the 1st March.

It’s funny how you get out of the habit of running… I wasn’t that keen to be honest, but knew I needed to get out there.  So after having my sorry arse thrashed at squash first thing this morning I decided to forgo a shower and head out onto the Downs instead.

As always I had a cunning plan.  I would run up Juggs lane and see what happened.  I could turn left at Kingston for a 3 miler, head up onto the tops for a 4.5 miler, extend the loop through the Valley of Death, or I was feeling really fit, I could run to Southease and back along the river (10 miles).

I forced myself on this morning and managed the third option, 7.2 miles thought the valley of death.  It was really tough – both mentally and physically.   Although I have been active during February, the old running muscles have corroded somewhat and the head struggled to keep at it on the hills. 

Overall my time wasn’t as bad as I feared, coming in at just short of 11 min/miles, with a moving pace under 10, but I was off my usual form (such as it is).

Coming down the Downs I tried to let myself go with the aim to hit a sub 8 min/mi pace – challenging given the ground conditions.  I did it… but whilst recovering at the bottom I realised that there are a lot of runners out there who average that speed over the whole course.  Bugger. 

Confused
There is more to be done
10-03-2015, 02:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-03-2015, 02:58 PM by Charliecat5.)
RE: March is Moyleman month
The Moyleman is holding my running back.

Back in January, tasked with re-routing and mapping the Moyleman course, I was out on my feet several times a week until I eventually achieved a couple of personal bests, running both halves (not on the same day).   Sadly as January scuttled into February and February into March, I haven’t found the time or inspiration to put on the shoes and head out the door. 

Having said that, I’m beginning to fire the feet up now - with two short runs in the last 4 days.  A Friday evening romp after a very lethargic day in the office which turned into a personal best followed by a lunch time run today. 

I planned today's jaunt at the weekend. Recognising that I am travelling the second half of the week I plotted my exercise for the beginning of the week.  Last night was a squash training session – a hard hour of playing against myself – I lost... then today was meant to be a fairly slow affair to run out the aches in my legs and butt.  Thing is, I ran the same route as Friday’s PB and ended up matching it even though the first mile was slower. 

So to the Moyleman – only four more days to go… and the irony is that I cannot run this weekend because I am leading the runners out on my bike! 

It’s a strange world this running, isn’t it? 
There is more to be done
16-03-2015, 09:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 16-03-2015, 02:46 PM by Charliecat5.)
Moyleman Day

It was couple of years ago …  I just happened to go to the pub to meet Sweder after a hard days biking over the hills around Lewes – 28 miles of brutal trails.  After a couple of pints and none stop wittering from me, a little light bulb went on in the big man’s head.  The Moyleman was born. 

We now shoot forward a couple of years and its 5am on Sunday 15th March 2015.  I am lying in bed fretting about the lack of signs at the underpass – what if the marshals don’t get there in time – what if runners get lost - so after an hour of fretting I was up… in the car heading out with some more signs. 

I had only been out a few minutes when I receive a text from Sweder: “where is the farm track to the top of the Yellow Brick Road” he asks.  That’s an easy one to answer.   But ten minutes after that I receive another text, a photo of his 4X4 with a puncture.  Arse.  But hey, we've still got two hours to go and the list of jobs is now into the hundreds rather than the thousands.

I head home, get changed, strap my bike to the roof of the car, and tear the kids and wife out of the house to head up to Wallands School where we are registering the runners and marshals. 

It’s now 8am and we are setting up tables and the lovely Patina Cantina.  Marshals are starting to arrive.  It is getting exciting.  The support bikers turn up – three fantastic volunteers who led and swept the field all day, smiling all the way.  Then Rear Gunner Porter arrives – having worked all night, again with a smile on his face.

Before we knew it, it was 8:45 and time for the marshal’s briefing … we now had a hall full of marshal’s runners and other volunteers.  The only problem was that we didn’t have a Sweder.  I wasn’t bothered about the man himself, it was the fact he had the route map, tabards, radios and runners numbers that was causing me some angst.  True to form, he turned up just in time. 

At this point I stood quietly and just looked around.  There were about 150 people in the room, the place was buzzing with excitement… it was a cauldron of organised chaos.  I had runners shaking my hand thanking me for a race that hadn’t even started yet.  It was all I could do to hold back the tears.   I couldn’t believe we had done this.  And the day hadn’t even started.

Time for me to go.  I am the route man, the route is my baby.  I have toiled for two years, running, biking, walking every inch of it.  I feel very precious about it so wanted to be out there ahead of the runners to make sure that everything was in place.   So 20 minutes before the runners lined up on the start line, I was on my bike heading into the hills. 

It was amazing.  I was held up time after time by people stopping me (runners, walkers and even horse riders) who wanted to know when it was due to start, were they standing in the right place, what a great thing it was that we were doing.  By the time I made it to the first corner I was only 10 minutes ahead of the runners!

Heading down, full speed towards heart attack hill, I looked back to Blackcap, and there they were… the runners, running the Moyleman, our Moyleman.

Down to Housedean Farm where we had the first water stop.  Great, brilliant, fabulous marshals all ready and waiting with big smiles on their faces.  On, on, over the A27 and up the relentless bastard.  Half way up I looked behind me… strike a light (or words to that effect) the lead runners were only 200 yards behind me!   Digging in, I made it to the top before they did… a quick chat to the marshals and then it was the turn for Castle Hill Nature Reserve and the Valley of Death, saluting Moyleman himself as I sped past – wiping a little tear away as I tried to make some distance on the lead runners.  

At the bottom I chatted to the marshal, part of Team Moyleman, Cam’s running team, who had put a great Team Moyleman sigh up.  Then it was over the fields to the flint hill.  They got me.  Two runners and one of the lead bikes took me half way up.   So bloody fast and so casual.  They just chatted to each other as they left me in their dust.

On, on, on… I got them back on the Yellow Brick Road just as the radio call came from Sweder “I am on the C7 do we have any runners”.  “Yes” I called back “they will be in sight in two minutes” as they overtook me again.

Southease, the halfway point, and I made it first, to be told by the chief timing man, that I looked very tired (he didn’t quite put it like that).  No time to stop, I had the five miles to Firle Beacon to climb.  Six runners overtook me on that stretch; I pulled back two by the time I made it to Bo Peep… but boy I was struggling now.  Back along the coach road, through Firle, under the underpass and across the field to Glynde.  As I passed Rob who was marshalling the underpass I mentioned that I might skip Caburn… there was nothing left in the tank now.

But, when I got to Ramscombe lane and stared upwards toward Caburn, I knew that there was no way in the world I was going to miss any part of the route.  I did walk a section of it (I know), I did have to stop to let the leg cramps abate but I made it to the top.   I then discovered a big fat thorn in my tyre.  Choices, choices… I could fix it… or see how it went… the tyre was still holding up.   I made it half way down Chapel Hill before I had to get off, pick up my bike and run to the finish line!

It was just fantastic… a big hug from the big man greeted me as I crossed the line.  We had done it… I had done it.  

Harveys yard was buzzing and continued to buzz for the next 3 hours.  We had beer, we had food, we had massages, and we had the most amazing atmosphere as runner after runner came over the finish line, all so proud of what they had achieved and singing with praises over what we had achieved.  The feedback was just awesome.

When Cam and the Moyleman team came over the line, shouting and whooping it was all I could do not to blub.  Then my good friend and fellow organiser Brian crossed the line which was just lovely, big hugs and big tears.

Before we knew it, it was all over.  Just a few of us left, drinking a last pint, clearing up with mighty grins on our faces. 

The next Moyleman will be on the 13th March next year.  BRING IT ON!

There is more to be done
16-03-2015, 10:21 AM,
At one point yesterday I was driving from marshalling point to marshalling point, and saw a string of runners crossing the ploughed field towards Glynde after the A27 tunnel. It seemed to me miraculous that there were runners, running the route, going in the right direction, bound for the finish. I suppose we spent so much time thinking about things that might go wrong
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

16-03-2015, 10:38 AM,
Oh wow, this sounds so incredible! When I'm over there in a few weeks, please talk me into participating next year! It may not be that hard to do (talking me into it, not the actual effing run).

Nice work everyone, bloody fantastic!
Run. Just run.
16-03-2015, 01:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-03-2015, 01:38 PM by Sweder.)
I'm not ready to write about this just yet.
I'm still too high, too shook up, too focused on what we need to for next year.
I need peace and quiet, and beer. In a life full of adventures, this has been the most remarkable adventure of all.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

16-03-2015, 01:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-03-2015, 01:43 PM by Charliecat5.)
(16-03-2015, 01:38 PM)Sweder Wrote: I'm not ready to write about this just yet.
I'm still too high, too shook up, too focused on what we need to for next year.
I need peace and quiet, and beer. In a life full of adventures, this has been the most remarkable adventure of all.

I had to write about it this morning to release the emotions bubbling up.  

For someone who is very busy work wise at the moment... I have done absolutely nowt so far today.   A train beckons at three... hopefully I will be on it.
There is more to be done
16-03-2015, 01:54 PM,
I've posted a Dropbox link to race results and Drone-cam footage of the start here

20-03-2015, 08:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 20-03-2015, 09:39 AM by Charliecat5.)
New beginnings... or is it the end of a new beginning and the beginning of the next... 

With the fire of the Moyleman still burning strong I have found myself in a reflective mood all week.  Still riding high on the emotions from last weekend's events I have spent much time thinking about Moyleman himself.  A man I never knew, but a man that has over the last two years, come to have quite an impact on my life... although I do feel guilty at times for stealing the memories of others when he enters my thoughts.

It was post the Moyleman test event last year that I decided to take up running properly.  Prior to that I had been doing the odd run, but without any serious intent (OK, I was running in my swimming shorts).  So last April I bought a running watch, some proper shorts and a decent pair of running shoes.  It has been a really good year... I've experienced great highs (mentally and physically) and have crashed into deep lows.  On occasions I have felt like I was actually 'born to run'... but mostly it has been hard work... enjoyable hard work... but hard work all the same.  

Best of all ... in the last 12 months I have met (or continued to know) some great people (some in this virtual world) who are open with advice, haven't judged me and are always there encouraging that extra mile.  Without wishing to inflate his ego any further... Sweder is at the top of that pile of great running people, but so is Rob R and many others.  

This morning I got up early and ran the 5 miles up to Kingston Ridge and back.  My average speed was bang on 9min/mi.  And I didn't stop once.  In 12 months perhaps I should be better than that... but I am happy with what I have achieved, I have great memories, and I have great plans for the next 12 months.   Bring it on...
There is more to be done
20-03-2015, 09:06 AM,
Great stuff, Charlie. You will be even faster in 12 months, I'm sure. You need to get out there and experience some races from the middle of the pack, I think. Are you Parkrunning? Good fun if it fits with your Saturday family schedule (it doesn't with mine). But you're in the right shape to be able to enter a few 10Ks (Sweder's hated distance) on a whim and see how you get on. And of course you're more than ready for a half marathon. And oh yes, we're just entering spring, the best season for running (with autumn a close second). Enjoy!
20-03-2015, 11:38 AM,
Yes, yes ... welcome to purgatory.

[Image: 666_dang.jpg]
Run. Just run.
22-03-2015, 12:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 23-03-2015, 08:14 AM by Charliecat5.)
I remember some time ago writing in my blog how depressing it was to be over taken at speed by another runner heading up on to the Downs.  Today, it was me overtaking another runner as we headed onto the Downs.   That’s progress right?

It has been quite a week… I biked the Moyleman last Sunday (brutal), I have played over 4 hours of squash, I ran 5 miles on Friday morning and today decided that I was going to run 10 miles under 10 minutes a mile.   I am pleased to report that I did it, achieving a personal best.  But it was bloody hard. 

I chose a route that I have done a few times – Juggs Lane, Kingston Ridge, YBR to Southease then back along the river.  The river is a relatively easy stage because whilst it is up hill (it’s upstream) it is pretty flat.  However, looking at my stats, it was the first hilly half where I made the best times and the section along the river where I was struggling.  Even though my nutrition is much improved these days, there was nothing in the tank.  The physical and emotional turmoil of the last 7 days had taken its toll. 

It was odd to be out there running sections of the Moyleman without any runners, marshals and supporters cheering me on.  In fact it was very strange out there after last week.   But, with only quarter of a mile to go, I ran past fellow Moyleman organiser Rob, and Marshal Emma (plus F) who whooped and cheered me on as I staggered, spraying snot, sweat and tears to my personal finish line.  

However, as much as I appreciated the cheering, I noted that they didn’t run after me offering free beer, a burger and a medal.  Boo. Tongue

Work dictates a week of rest… bring on next weekend.  

There is more to be done
24-03-2015, 08:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-03-2015, 08:44 PM by Charliecat5.)
OK, I lied.

This week is intense... lots of travel and lots of of client meetings.  So I had written off the idea of any running.  Deciding that it would actually do me good to have a rest.  But, as you do, I packed my running kit in the back of the car... just in case.

Today's meeting finished early and my journey to my next location was without problem.  I arrived at a lovely hotel in Swaffham (Norfolk) in day light... hmmm...

Shorts on, shoes on... and a quick 3 miles.  2 miles on the road and 1 mile up a farm track, just as the sun kissed the horizon.  

Take the hills away and give me tarmac and weirdly my pace increases.  

You road runners (flatties) don't 'alf 'ave it easy  Tongue

There is more to be done
24-03-2015, 09:15 PM,
BEEP BEEP!
24-03-2015, 10:45 PM,
(24-03-2015, 08:42 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote: You road runners (flatties) don't 'alf 'ave it easy  Tongue

Ah, elitism.
By the way, how many Point to Pinnacle races did you say you've run? Tongue

[Image: snob.gif]
Run. Just run.
25-03-2015, 10:07 AM,
Two, and they were both absolute bastards.
Had they been on Moyleman terrain they'd have been a darned sight easier on the legs, I know that.
I just knocked out a flabby five K on the Shanghai cobbles. Legs like piano wire now.
I hate hard-top running with a passion.

30-03-2015, 07:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-03-2015, 07:09 PM by Charliecat5.)
There’s a pattern to my running and lifestyle.  Unusually we were invited out for dinner last night – unusual because it was a Sunday – the mother of all school nights.  It’ll be fine I thought, because I don’t have to drink much do I?

We arrived and almost instantly I was handed a glass of vin de fizz – I am a sucker for vin de fizz – and it went downhill from there.   A great evening, great food and a shed load of wine. 

Monday morning… OUCH!

I made it through the day, fortunately working from home, but even by 5:30 this evening it was all I could do to strap on the runners and head out of the door. 

However, I had little choice… Lady Motivation has changed shape in this house and it’s frightening me.  Mrs Charliecat has taken up running – she's doing the couch to 5k training regime.   And here’s the thing… she announced yesterday that she had run 28 miles in March – bloody ‘ell I cried as I stumbled across the room to check my Garmin – 31 miles was my total for March – but she would be out again before the month end … I have to keep ahead. 

Five miles through wind and rain this evening, which is just how I like it.   Sweating away the wine and clearing the head.  If it wasn’t for the fact I couldn't stand this morning – I should have done this run 12 hours ago. 

The pressure is on.

There is more to be done

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  May we run well this month Charliecat5 13 6,001 30-05-2016, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  March roars in like a lion Charliecat5 17 8,247 30-03-2016, 08:49 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man