Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015: Resurrection
09-04-2015, 08:35 PM,
RE: 2015: Resurrection
I think the time is fast approaching for CC5 to visit Hobart.
Now there's a hill run.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

15-04-2015, 04:21 PM,
(09-04-2015, 08:35 PM)Sweder Wrote: I think the time is fast approaching for CC5 to visit Hobart.
Now there's a hill run.

Are we going to have a whip round to get me over there?
There is more to be done
15-04-2015, 08:46 PM,
(15-04-2015, 04:21 PM)ICharliecat5 Wrote:
(09-04-2015, 08:35 PM)Sweder Wrote: I think the time is fast approaching for CC5 to visit Hobart.
Now there's a hill run.

Are we going to have a whip round to get me over there?

They weren't doing that sort of thing last time I was there
Is it related to 50 Shades?

15-04-2015, 08:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-04-2015, 08:52 PM by Sweder.)
A token effort this morning, the first in almost a week. Running, like everything else at the moment, has taken a back seat to the Beast that is Work. I can't remember working this hard, ever. Off the back of a heavy travel (and, to be fair, a bonkers social) schedule I've barely time or energy to brush my teeth, let alone venture into the hills. Such delicious early morning weather, too. Bah.

Brighton Marathon flashed by last weekend. I heard takes of PBs galore amongst the Sunday Runners. I'll have to catch up with them all one of these days. I'll take the bike. 

25-04-2015, 12:47 PM,
Cor bloody blimey.

Duncan and Graham dragged my sorry arse up the start of the Moyleman this morning. By the time We'd covered 10k I felt I'd run the whole thing. A welcome trip outside my comfort zone and in all honesty a damned good outing in the mist and drizzle. Nice touch to crack a bottle of Harveys Old on the top of Blackcap. Cheers!

27-04-2015, 10:08 AM,
Hey Sweder you achieved a bit of a mini marathon, and well earned beer too. Cheers indeed.
Phew this is hard work !
22-05-2015, 06:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 22-05-2015, 06:51 AM by Sweder.)
DThere's nothing to dampen one's ardour like one of 'those' runs. 
I knew before I pulled on my boots this was going to be a shocker. Tired, badly-fed - a post 8pm burger washed down with Brewdog's latest, Vagabond - and generally knackered, I'd thought about junking this scheduled outing. Then I remembered the wise words of Sam Snead, legendary white ball whacker from a bygone era. 
'To quit between tee and green is more habit-forming than drinking a highball before breakfast.'

So out I went, into lush green hills bathed in glorious sunshine, washed with a cool breeze, edged with high white lacey clouds. Bah. It may as well have been rodding down. Like Eyore I cursed my lot, dragging weary bones over the well-trodden paths of Landport Bottom. At the end of my first circuit, facing the inexorable rise of the steepest section, I gave serious though to buggering off. Something deep inside said 'no' so on I trod, barely enough momentum to swing one boot in front of the other. 

The downhill came as respite but little more. I put on a spurt for the cameras at the finish but even that felt fraudulant. I was spent. A paltry 4.6 kilometre hill-rep session, the latest in a series of attempts to catch up in a month that went 14 days without so much as a shuffle. I'm planning to 'ramp it up' on Sunday and head back to Blackcap, my first visit since CharlieCat, MLCMMan and I supped ale there. Without those two eager Huskies to haul me along this could be a savage ride.

On, on.

22-05-2015, 08:39 AM,
(22-05-2015, 06:49 AM)Sweder Wrote: I'm planning to 'ramp it up' on Sunday and head back to Blackcap, my first visit since CharlieCat, MLCMMan and I supped ale there. Without those two eager Huskies to haul me along this could be a savage ride.

On, on.

I'm planning a long one this weekend... Heading out on the Moyleman route... 

I could join you if you like for the first part  Smile
There is more to be done
22-05-2015, 09:02 AM,
Cool. I was going to run to BC and back, but maybe I'll tag along with you a bit further and see what happen*

* until I collapse sobbing in a heap.

22-05-2015, 09:08 AM,
(22-05-2015, 09:02 AM)Sweder Wrote: Cool. I was going to run to BC and back, but maybe I'll tag along with you a bit further and see what happen*

* until I collapse sobbing in a heap.

I was planning BC... down to the A27... up the relentless bastard... and then if legs allow and little detour through the valley of death before heading back to Lewes.   There are a number of places you could wimp out if need be!

What sort of time would suit?  I am out Saturday evening so the 'crack of dawn' would be a tough gig.  
There is more to be done
24-05-2015, 12:28 PM,
It strikes me that we need something to aim for in the running world.  Something that fires us up and gets us out there, something that needs a plan... (he says sitting here in a deflated puddle of his own misery)... what could we target for the Autumn... are there any trail races... should we head up to the Lakes and launch ourselves at some real mountains... show Joss Naylor what real men are made of...  I feel as though I need some inspiration... 

... or a large Gin and another line of Lemsip.  
There is more to be done
24-05-2015, 03:26 PM,
If you're looking for autumn targets, no need to take yourself off to the Lakes. Much closer to home is our own dear Jog Shop 20, http://www.jogshoponline.co.uk/jogshopjog.html or if you fancy something less demanding, the Lewes Downhill Ten, which revisits the early stages of the Moyleman. Ignore the fact that the Jog Shop 20 page is still advertising last year's race. The organisers would rather be out running than updating websites, and I have to say I think their priorities are correct.
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

24-05-2015, 09:48 PM,
(24-05-2015, 03:26 PM)tomroper Wrote: If you're looking for autumn targets, no need to take yourself off to the Lakes. Much closer to home is our own dear Jog Shop 20, http://www.jogshoponline.co.uk/jogshopjog.html  or if you fancy something less demanding, the Lewes Downhill Ten, which revisits the early stages of the Moyleman. Ignore the fact that the Jog Shop 20 page is still advertising last year's race. The organisers would rather be out running than updating websites, and I have to say I think their priorities are correct.

Funnily enough I mentioned both races this morning, although I think Duncan was enduring his own private hell at that juncture, definitely not in the mood for tall tales of torturous terrain. Rumour has it 2015 could see the last ever Jog Shop Jog. As ever, the vagaries of my work diary will dictate if I'm able to take part, as competitor or marshal. To do so will be top of my list this autumn.

We brushed the LD10 route as we headed home today, crossing the misleadingly pleasant trail that heads into the woodland just before and below Blackcap that winds up into a hellishly steep, leg-sapping ascent. I was, in truth, grateful for Duncan's struggle. I'd convinced myself that I would be the one hanging on, eyes bulging, legs failing, lungs wheezing. Despite chugging a man-sized potion of Chia Fresca I'd resigned to bailing out before the going got too tough. 

As it turned out I felt pretty good. Those woeful hill rep sessions appear to have restored a smidgeon of form. I'm struggling with stamina, but that will come with a gentle, sustained increase in mileage. The frustration is that, for runners of a certain age, this process can be painfully slow.

25-05-2015, 10:26 AM,
(24-05-2015, 09:48 PM)Sweder Wrote:
(24-05-2015, 03:26 PM)tomroper Wrote: If you're looking for autumn targets, no need to take yourself off to the Lakes. Much closer to home is our own dear Jog Shop 20, http://www.jogshoponline.co.uk/jogshopjog.html  or if you fancy something less demanding, the Lewes Downhill Ten, which revisits the early stages of the Moyleman. Ignore the fact that the Jog Shop 20 page is still advertising last year's race. The organisers would rather be out running than updating websites, and I have to say I think their priorities are correct.

Funnily enough I mentioned both races this morning, although I think Duncan was enduring his own private hell at that juncture, definitely not in the mood for tall tales of torturous terrain. 

I was aware that you were chuntering about something… but I wasn’t really listening.  All my concentration was on that little, but at the time difficult, task of putting one foot in front of the other.  

This morning I have crashed and burned…  a proper dose of MAN FLU… streaming eyes, rasping throat and full body aches.   Strangely though, I feel kind of relieved, as it provides an answer to the dizziness yesterday and the inability to get up the hills ahead of BGG. 

Having said all that… it was an enjoyable trip out and it has inspired me to build up to something more significant.  The Jog Shop 20 is right in my patch, running the hills I know and love (yes, even the Snake).  So I think this is it.  Ash is obviously joining me, as he doesn’t have a choice… but who else is in?
There is more to be done
11-06-2015, 06:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-06-2015, 06:33 PM by Sweder.)
A Trip To The Barber's
When I logged on this morning there were 4 people viewing my profile. Heaven knows why, there's little enough going on here these days.

A poor start to the new month culminated in physical injury this week. Barber's Honey Beer*, it turns out, is one of those innocent drinks masquerading as a Mind Slayer. B-52s, by comparison, are a fair kop. Take on a drink named after a carpet-bombing war-machine and you can expect some damage. Embrace an ale who's name suggests Pooh and Piglet supping a beer in their rocking-chair dotage, you might think a sweet and gentle experience awaits. Not to feel like you've been slammed by tram. 

I suppose seven or eight pints of any kind of beer is inviting trouble. At no stage did I feel remotely squiffy, until the time came to exchange farewells and rise from my bar-stool. As I reeled out of the place, stumbling up the cobbled street, turning slowly as if to load my inner Sat-Nav, I came into contact with something large and immovable. Down I went like a sack of spuds. The object moved, having loaded a few late-night revellers. Ah. That'll be the tram. 

Peeling myself off the gritty tarmac I assessed the damage. Nothing too serious; a nasty-looking graze on an elbow, a sore shoulder, a scraped knee. Minutes later I was home, rolling into bed, cursing my 'misfortune'. Next morning I woke feeling like, well, I'd been hit by a tram. Three days later I'm still suffering. The sore shoulder is a constant nag, the elbow raw, my pride badly bruised. 

Good job, then, that I return home from Rotterdam this weekend. I need to get back into the hills and take the fight to the enemy. Charliecat awaits, quietly painting the standard of the Jog Shop 20 on his Spartan shield. Work to be done. Much work. 

*Triple-filtered Belgian ale, brewed by Barber. 8% ABV. Lethal.

11-06-2015, 07:12 AM,
Sweder, much as I feel sympathy for your injury, you must admit that there's a certain amount of humour in that tale. I take it you went into the side of the tram rather than the front - otherwise this would be rather more serious. You t-boned the tram rather than rammed it head on. I hope the tram wasn't damaged too badly and the occupants were unhurt. But yes you do have the ultimate hangover anecdote: feeling like you've been hit by a tram. I'm guessing that will get trotted out a few times over the years.

Sounds like you're ready for a reboot. As you say, the cat is already scampering up the hills. Will the goat catch him? (looks like that nickname is here to stay, btw).
11-06-2015, 12:42 PM,
I have no sympathy with anyone who expects to still stand after 8 pints of anything with 8% abv, none at all.
11-06-2015, 06:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-06-2015, 07:52 PM by Charliecat5.)
Given time, quite a lot of time, I'm sure I'll find it in myself to offer you some sympathy.  In the meantime, I'm on the floor laughing my soaks off. 
There is more to be done
11-06-2015, 07:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-06-2015, 07:14 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Wink  RE: 2015: Resurrection
Don't worry mate, you're not the first person to walk into the side of a tram...

[Image: gif-tram-guy-dumb-656684.jpeg]
Run. Just run.
11-06-2015, 09:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2015, 04:41 AM by Sweder.)
I had no idea there was a camera. Or that it was daylight.
Desperately hoping that 'laughing your soaks off' is not a euphemism for drying off after an indulgent bath.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December 2015 Sweder 7 3,759 31-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  November 2015 Sweder 10 4,923 01-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  August 2015 Sweder 16 7,038 25-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man