Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
January 2015
19-01-2015, 11:46 PM,
RE: January 2015
You're doing well Charlie, although I worry about this on again off again attitude toward the wagon. Well, I'm mainly worried about the on again bit to be honest. You'd better be off it when I'm over there in a few weeks, that's all I can say.

But good work with the running!
Run. Just run.
20-01-2015, 01:43 PM,
13 miles on Sunday, up and over the hills, and my mind and body were on fire.

3 miles this lunch time and there is nothing, bugger all, in the tank.

The ups and downs of running eh! 

It was glorious out there tho'

There is more to be done
21-01-2015, 01:26 AM,
It's the wagon, Charlie, it's not doing you any good.
Run. Just run.
23-01-2015, 09:44 PM,
Bugger.

Last weekend I pulled a Glut (arse muscle) playing squash.  It wasn't that bad... but the following days run aggrevated it a bit as did my short run mid-week.  This evening I have just played two hours of squash and now it's quite sore.

There is only one way to sort this out and that is to let it rest.  Which means no running this weekend and for most of next week.  

I might as well have a drink then... cheers.

Sad
There is more to be done
25-01-2015, 02:30 AM,
Arse.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

01-02-2015, 09:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2015, 03:27 PM by Charliecat5.)
I’ve done it… I’ve run the Moyleman.

My time wasn’t that bad either… 13 days, 7 hours and 25 minutes.

OK… I ran it in two halves. 

Having successfully negotiated access to an underpass that will take us under the A27 rather than over, someone needed to map the new route.  Sweder still has wonky knees and Porter (rear gunner) seems to disappear whenever someone mentions ‘mapping the Moyleman’, so it was left to me.

After the usual round of taking kids to squash, gym, etc., Mrs Charliecat dropped me back at Southease (where I finished the first half a couple of weeks ago) and drove away.  

I stood on the bridge and stared upwards.   Next stop is Firle Beacon.  It seemed a long way away.  I estimated that Southease to the top would be about 3 miles of constant up-hill running.   Guess what… it’s not!  It’s actually five miles.  Five miles of pounding up hill.  I really enjoyed it.  It is a route I have biked many times, but this was the first time on two feet.  I am beginning to realise how nice it is to run new routes.

From the top of the Beacon the route heads east for about another half mile before turning north down Bo Peep Borstal.   I am not built to run down slopes this steep.  My poor knees… for the first time I had a little bit of sympathy for Sweder.  Just a little bit you understand. 

At the bottom it is a left turn to head west again along the bridle track all the way back to Firle.   The route now goes round Firle Place, rather than through, and then crosses a number of fields eventually finding its way to the underpass.   

Over recent weeks I have been having some troubles with my legs, pulled gluts and calf muscles like piano wires… this run had not done them any favours; by the time I got to Glynde I was really struggling.  Mile 12, Glynde village to the top of Caburn, took 17 minutes (this is my longest mile ever). 

But with the borrowed words of Moyleman racing around my head “suck it up dude”, I kept at it.  Over the top, down into the valley and back up again to bump into a lady of some years out walking who declared that I was mad! OK, I was dressed in shorts running through driving sleet, but still... how rude. Once at the golf course I stopped to phone Mrs Charliecat: “pleeeeeassseee could you pick me from town…. pleeeassseee don’t make me run home”.  Fortunately she agreed. 

From the golf course, it is all downhill onto Cliffe High Street.  The last bit running up to Harvey’s Brewery was weird.  Where were the crowds cheering me on? Where was the finishing line? Where was the pint of Harvey’s thrust into my sweaty hands as a fell across the line? Where were the medals? I've just run the Moyleman FFS...

Nothing… I just hit the stop button on the Garmin, ignored a few funny looks and limped around the corner to get in the car. 

The Moyleman is mapped… we are good to go!

There is more to be done
01-02-2015, 11:28 AM,
A valiant effort, mate. That Caburn slog is a killer, it's what will set this race apart from other Marathons of similar rise and fall; the cruelest of closing sections.

I bumped into Ed Jenner, the younger of the Jenners, owners of Harveys, at the Lewes FC beer fesitival on Friday night. All things being equal he will Ok the use of Harveys yard for the finish. I will confirm this via e-mail this week. My hope is to attract Circa Events, the fabulous caterers at Lewes FC, to come along, together with a Harveys bar. That will make the finish something of a party event, for runners and supporters alike. It might be a bit much to bring a band along, but hey, I've said it out loud now ...

'Across a couple of fields to the underpass' got my attention. Sounds like this will need to be heavily marshalled to avoid losing tired runners in the long grass. Chris's mantras have got me through a few sticky patches over the years. It's a mark of the man that he can reach people he never met. I miss him terribly.

Put your feet up and enjoy a well-earned rest!

01-02-2015, 01:23 PM,
Really looking forward to this. Don't know about the Mt Caburn bit, but I guess that's what makes it. Oh, and can we have a dry day, please?...
01-02-2015, 09:17 PM,
You're a scary dude, CC. When I'm over in your neck of the woods in a few weeks (late April) I'm up for a slow trot to the pub, and no more. I trust that is clear.

Good effort, though, that.
Run. Just run.
02-02-2015, 07:31 PM,
CC - thanks for doing this.
Good news about the finalised route.
I've run the whole thing (in bits) but am a little hazy around Firle (across the cricket pitch?) and I went astray climbing Caburn.

Any chance of a definitive route on Map My Run soonish?

Pete
02-02-2015, 07:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2015, 07:57 PM by Charliecat5.)
(02-02-2015, 07:31 PM)Hiwheeler Wrote: CC - thanks for doing this.
Good news about the finalised route.
I've run the whole thing (in bits) but am a little hazy around Firle (across the cricket pitch?) and I went astray climbing Caburn.

Any chance of a definitive route on Map My Run soonish?

Pete

Pete, I have run both halves now and tracked it on my Garmin.  Another happy Moyleman volunteer is, as we speak, stitching it together into a Google map - which will allow you to zoom into various sections.   

The route around Firle is quite difficult - there are a lot of turns.  You should be able to find your way with the detailed map... but we will have plenty of marshals and signs on the day.

When the map is published I would ask you to note that the route under the A27 is via private property.  We have access on the day, but outside of this it is not for using.  You can get across the A27 by running a few yards past the farm and then crossing over the top of the A27.

Looking forward to seeing you on the 15[sup]th[/sup] March… not long now!
There is more to be done
02-02-2015, 08:04 PM,
(01-02-2015, 09:17 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: You're a scary dude, CC. When I'm over in your neck of the woods in a few weeks (late April) I'm up for a slow trot to the pub, and no more. I trust that is clear.

I assume you're bringing your running shoes?  We should at least have a little outing... nothing too strenuous.  What dates are you actually over?  
There is more to be done
02-02-2015, 08:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2015, 11:28 PM by Sweder.)
(02-02-2015, 08:04 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote:
(01-02-2015, 09:17 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: You're a scary dude, CC. When I'm over in your neck of the woods in a few weeks (late April) I'm up for a slow trot to the pub, and no more. I trust that is clear.

I assume you're bringing your running shoes?  We should at least have a little outing... nothing too strenuous.  What dates are you actually over?  

Yes! Even my bloated carcass should be up for a mile or two by April.
It would be very cool to nip up the W and back through Kingston. That's, what, around 6 miles?
We could* end up at the Swan ... 

*absolutely will

03-02-2015, 01:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2015, 11:28 PM by Sweder.)
(02-02-2015, 08:30 PM)Sweder Wrote:
(02-02-2015, 08:04 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote:

Yes! Even my bloated carcass should be up for a mile or two by April.
It would be very cool to nip up the W and back through Kingston. That's, what, around 6 miles?
We could* end up at the Swan ... 

*absolutely will

From my place, the W followed by Castle Hill, valley of death, up the flint track and back is a nice steady 6 miles or so.  

You've lost me with the Ship... there isn't a drinking establishment by that name in Lewes (that I am aware).  Do you mean the Swan?  Perfectly placed for the end of the run.
There is more to be done
03-02-2015, 11:29 PM,
Er ... That's what I said, the Swan

*peels off hacker's gloves, whistles softly*

04-02-2015, 07:14 AM,
Sounds good to me ... dates soon, but somewhere between April 23 and May 2 ... ish.
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  January resolutions... Pah Charliecat5 15 5,705 25-01-2016, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  February 2015 Charliecat5 1 1,304 25-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man