Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plodtober
07-10-2014, 01:00 AM,
Plodtober
How about that Dennis Kimetto, eh? To bring the marathon world record down to 2h2:57 has again got everyone wondering when (not if) someone is going to break the two-hour mark. For myself, I’d be happy just to be able to run for two hours again, regardless of distance covered, as my running log of late has been bereft of anything worthy of mention. However the disappointment of failing to gain a ballot entry into next year’s London marathon has at least left me free to run for its own sake rather than the rigours of a marathon training schedule. As much as I would have loved the opportunity to complete a London one year, I am at least happy now to fit in more frequent, shorter runs to maintain general fitness and sanity without having to kill myself slotting the longer runs of a training schedule into my crazy and constantly shifting work life.

As we move into the warmer months here (it was a somewhat surprising 24 degrees Celsius for my 5 a.m. run this morning!) I’m looking forward to shifting the accumulated bulge and lethargy of what has been a cold, and for me relatively inactive winter.

So there are no races on my calendar for now, and our planned trip to Europe next year will most likely not include much running at all. But I’m relaxed about it. Not too relaxed, however.

Wink
07-10-2014, 05:46 AM,
RE:
Well it sounds pretty good to me that you were out at 5am. Good luck with the return to running.

I should point out that there are other marathons in Europe, one of which I'm sure would coincide with your trip, should you really want to run one. Smile
07-10-2014, 08:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-10-2014, 08:37 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
RE: Plodtober
(07-10-2014, 05:46 AM)marathondan Wrote: I should point out that there are other marathons in Europe, one of which I'm sure would coincide with your trip, should you really want to run one. Smile

Are there? Wink

No, seriously, I was quite happy to train for a London mara given it was likely to be my one and only chance, but nothing else is really tugging at my heartstrings in quite the same way. I don't need a consolation prize, as such, so I'll leave it be.

Maybe one day though...?
07-10-2014, 11:57 AM,
RE:
And the Moyleman is too early in the year for you I guess.
07-10-2014, 03:27 PM,
(07-10-2014, 11:57 AM)marathondan Wrote: And the Moyleman is too early in the year for you I guess.

I was going to suggest the Moyleman ... but figured that he would be scared of such an endeavour Tongue
07-10-2014, 08:07 PM,
(07-10-2014, 03:27 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote:
(07-10-2014, 11:57 AM)marathondan Wrote: And the Moyleman is too early in the year for you I guess.

I was going to suggest the Moyleman ... but figured that he would be scared of such an endeavour Tongue

I will be safely in Australia at that time.
08-10-2014, 02:55 PM,
(07-10-2014, 08:07 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
(07-10-2014, 03:27 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote:

I will be safely in Australia at that time.

Not a bad place to be on the 15th March - I might join you!