Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JULY 2014
18-07-2014, 12:54 PM,
JULY 2014
Alot of water seems to have plunged through the rapids since the last update.

Fell races. Road races. Even a track race last night. And injuries of course. Even the Tour de France came past our door. Twice. What a weekend that was.

I'm now sat at home realising that I really need to think about organising myself for tomorrow's run.

Something I ageed to a long, long time ago ..... at least the forecast is for storms Smile

SATURDAY'S LITTLE RUN OUT
18-07-2014, 01:24 PM,
RE: JULY 2014
That's brilliant Glaconman, I'll watch out for the results.

Looked at some of the names on the racelist. I think Andi Jones is the one who usually wins, he's a top marathon runner.
Kenny Richmond rings a bell, I think he ran the Alto Sil a couple of years ago.
Martin Alvarez Espinar is from around here (Asturias actually) he was running the mountains years ago when nobody else did!

And the Tour of Yorkshire (sorry, France)... my cousin and his family were watching in Haworth. They missed out Oxenhope on the telly though.

Good luck!! It's up and down isn't it?
20-07-2014, 09:57 AM,
RE:
It certainly was BB. A game of two halves, as they say. I did really well to the top but hated the descent. Think I lost about 100 places. I know. Who cares? But it's abit demoralising at the time. I guess this kind of race attracts good descenders. So I shouldn't be suprised. I'll stick to my grassy Pennine fells I think.

But a great event. Where the whole town comes out to support the race and there's a great atmosphere. Jones finished 6th after turning 2nd. I think the Italians dominated the podium this year. Good to see Holmesy still representing his country as well. And my boy came 2nd in his race.

We cycled from Keighley up through Haworth and Oxenhope to the top of the climb on the morning of stage 2. Such an incredible feeling to cycle up closed roads lined with supporters just a couple of hours before The Tour arrives.
20-07-2014, 12:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 20-07-2014, 12:25 PM by El Gordo.)
RE:
I watched the Yorkshire stages on the TV -- particularly the Sunday. Looked like a great experience for the locals, who did the country proud with their enthusiasm. (Though there seemed to be a fair few nutters too -- I'm amazed there weren't more collisions between riders and piss'eads jumping out to try taking a selfie.)

But it was quite a nostalgia trip for me. Huddersfield, Holmfirth and all stages up through Haworth are places I know, or knew, very well. The previous day too, with Leeds and Harrogate. I'm not very knowledgeable about cycling but I love the spectacle, and the way that the aerial cameras allow you to see familiar places in an unfamiliar way. Last year, the Tour de Suisse, which is as massive in these parts as the TdF, went past my workplace and then along Lake Zurich, through the place I live. The TV coverage was incredible. Unfortunately I lost the recording when I changed TV box, but must try to get a copy somewhere.

That (running) race looks totally crazy. Love the casual instructions, that after the cattle-grid you "follow the well defined path under the Half Way and Clogwyn bridges and continue to the summit of Snowdon Mountain." As you do. Well done on entering, never mind finishing. I remember that evening shortly after you'd taken up running when we jogged up Simon's Seat together. You weren't much fitter than me at the time, and I never suspected there was a half-decent competitive fell-runner lurking within. Probably you didn't either. Would be good to catch up if you make to the Moyleman next year. I'll give you a run for your money though, be warned.....
21-07-2014, 06:39 AM,
RE:
Yes well done, G'man, and well done too to Yorkshire for Le Tour's opening stages - we watched every minute of them and it was beyond splendid. A stunning effort. Splendid weather too - how on earth did you manage it?
21-07-2014, 09:25 AM,
Luck of the draw with the weather MLCC. Seeing the peleton sweep past bunched into their teams on a sunny day was surreal. And genuinely awesome. Something I'm only used to seeing on telly. But there they were. We're off to France cycling on Saturday. Tour mad in our house at the mo.

Andy, we went to a fell race in Meltham the other week. Decided to cut down Scapegoat Hill into Slaithwaite (pronounced Slough-It for the rest of you). And afterwards we had a pint at The Sair in Linthwaite. Followed by dinner in Huddersfield. Not been that way for a while and I'd forgotten what a beautiful part of the world it is.
22-07-2014, 08:42 PM,
(21-07-2014, 09:25 AM)glaconman Wrote: We're off to France cycling on Saturday. Tour mad in our house at the mo.

Hey, you're so lucky to have a family who share your passion for outdoor pursuits!! (or is it the other way around these days Wink )Well done to that son of yours who I assume came second in one of the junior events.
Notce that Ian Holmes finished 10th and our man from Asturias was 4 places behind him just ahead of Lloyd Taggart. The Spanish and the UK fell/mountain runners compete in their own little circles but when they do occasionally meet they always seem so well matched.

Anyway, enjoy those holidays in France, where are you going?
22-07-2014, 10:28 PM,
Cheers BB. I think we'll head to south east. Get up some of those climbs like lautaret and izoad. Then down to verdon and ventooux maybe.
24-07-2014, 12:34 PM,
How good a descender am I? Snowdon Race: 176th at the turn. Finished 257th. That's 81 people going past me in 25 minutes. Or 3-4/minute. Oh well. If Cesare Maestri (the winner) is the Jack Kahuna Laguna of mountain running I guess I am somewhere between Patrick and Squidward. Not very good and grumpy with it.

The anitdote to Snowdon this evening was the Riddlesden Hill climb. About 3 miles uphill to the top of Keighley Gate. Abit hot to be a perfect night for running. But fine views over pretty much the whole of West Yorkshire at the finish line. And a nice jog down to free food, good craic and good beer on the taps.
24-07-2014, 01:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-07-2014, 01:25 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
RE:
Short legs help, hey, was that Riddlesden climb a time trial?
24-07-2014, 07:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-07-2014, 07:08 PM by El Gordo.)
(21-07-2014, 09:25 AM)glaconman Wrote: Andy, we went to a fell race in Meltham the other week. Decided to cut down Scapegoat Hill into Slaithwaite (pronounced Slough-It for the rest of you). And afterwards we had a pint at The Sair in Linthwaite. Followed by dinner in Huddersfield. Not been that way for a while and I'd forgotten what a beautiful part of the world it is.

Ah. For those who don't know i.e. everyone else, I spent best part of a year living in a ramshackle house on top of said Scapegoat Hill. I was lodging with 2 adults, 3 children, 4 dogs and 7 owls. Yes, owls. And the Sair in Linthwaite (pronounced Linfit) is one of the greatest of Yorkshire boozers -- or used to be. This legendary home-brew pub is also on top of a steep hill -- another one. There are quite a few of 'em in that county. I hope that "Enoch's Hammer" is still on tap, the beer whose name commemorates the blacksmith whose hand-crafted tools were used to smash the machines that threatened to sweep away the weavers and artisans in what was the epicentre of Luddism.

I remember going into the pub one Sunday evening to find the landlord drunk and unconscious. He was propped up on something, sitting behind the bar with his arms draped around the handpumps as if in a heroic attempt to protect his beer from the hordes. Fortunately one of the locals (probably not for the first time) had stepped in to save the day and would pop round the other side of the bar whenever someone's glass needed recharging. And yes, money *was* demanded, and it went into the till.

(24-07-2014, 12:34 PM)glaconman Wrote: How good a descender am I? Snowdon Race: 176th at the turn. Finished 257th. That's 81 people going past me in 25 minutes. Or 3-4/minute. Oh well. If Cesare Maestri (the winner) is the Jack Kahuna Laguna of mountain running I guess I am somewhere between Patrick and Squidward. Not very good and grumpy with it.

The anitdote to Snowdon this evening was the Riddlesden Hill climb. About 3 miles uphill to the top of Keighley Gate. Abit hot to be a perfect night for running. But fine views over pretty much the whole of West Yorkshire at the finish line. And a nice jog down to free food, good craic and good beer on the taps.

Glass half empty? I presume you must have taken out at least a similar number on the way up. Anyway, superb effort as usual. How people can tear down rocky hillsides at a rate of knots, without crash helmet and Michelin-man-style protective padding, is beyond me. Just reading the descriptions in "Feet in the Clouds" was enough to induce palpitations. Same thoughts about cyclists. I work at the top of a v steep hill, nearly 4,000 feet above sea level. I have to be careful driving down it, but I'm frequently overtaken by cyclists bombing past me, heads down, wearing grimly determined expressions. I guess self-confidence is all.
17-08-2014, 07:07 PM,
Andy, the beer in the The Sair was abit disappointing to be honest. All very samey and bland. Although there was one Linfit beer that hit the mark. But the pub was not disappointing. Young glaconmon played a medley of Motzart and boogey-woogey on the knackered old piano with me accompanying on an old washboard I found. Much to delight of locals who were a friendly band of misfits as you'd expect.

BB the Riddlesden was a TT. Cyclists and runners setting of at intervals.

It's Burnsall next weekend. I usually do the 10 miler but not sure I've got 10 miles of racing in my legs. Might give the classic fell race a go. Even though it's a daft descent over rocks and heather. It is one of the classics. Those with a copy of FITC might like to read the references. Anyhow the sports day dates back to Elizabethan times with the vicar leading the singing on the green after the presentations etc.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  July glaconman 5 1,356 30-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Last Post: glaconman
  July 2015 glaconman 2 2,689 28-07-2015, 08:39 PM
  May - 2014 glaconman 5 2,409 13-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  The 3 Peaks Race 2014 glaconman 14 6,061 30-04-2014, 09:18 AM
  July 2009 glaconman 39 16,435 27-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie