Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
July 2011
02-07-2014, 01:15 PM,
July 2011
Blimey, what happened to June...

With a mind to get going for July I managed a quick little 3 miler this morning along the canal at Foxton Locks. Somewhat lacking in hills, but it was good to be out and very peaceful amongst the canal boats.
02-07-2014, 01:20 PM,
RE:
Ah, canal towpaths are a favourite running location of mine. But not noted for their hills.
05-07-2014, 05:10 AM,
RE: July 2011
(02-07-2014, 01:20 PM)marathondan Wrote: Ah, canal towpaths are a favourite running location of mine. But not noted for their hills.

Forigve my lack of familiarity with canal towpaths, but that does seem to be something of an understatement?
05-07-2014, 06:15 PM,
(05-07-2014, 05:10 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 01:20 PM)marathondan Wrote: Ah, canal towpaths are a favourite running location of mine. But not noted for their hills.

Forigve my lack of familiarity with canal towpaths, but that does seem to be something of an understatement?

You think? Look at the hill in the middle of my towpath run!

05-07-2014, 07:53 PM,
RE:
Good God! That's some climb! Are you OK?
06-07-2014, 01:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-07-2014, 07:50 PM by Charliecat5.)
It's tough out there
My head and body are not in the right place… I have really struggled with my running over recent weeks and it boils down to a number of reasons:

+ Work has been manic. Lots of travelling, late nights and endless hours in airports has taken its toll – I am feeling exhausted.

+ The pressure of work has meant that I’ve not been out on the trails as much as normal which has hit my general fitness levels.

+ My diet has been appalling, bordering on disgraceful! Work dinners, lack of the green stuff and slipping back into the world of crisps, bread and peanut butter has not done me any favours – and I haven’t mentioned the alcohol yet!

+ The grog… where do I start… or more to the point, when do I stop. I have stretched the BMR to its limit in recent weeks.

+ And this is just the physical stuff… mentally it has been challenging as well. My main man Sweder was just starting to ramp up his running when a dodgy knee and travel commitments has put him back on the bench for the foreseeable future. This has left me without mi hombre denting my motivation.

+ Running Commentary is unusually quiet – what are you all doing? Whatever it is, it’s clearly not running related. The lack of stuff going on has also dented my motivation… IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT.

So after a couple of challenging runs over the last 10 days I decided to go out alone for a big one this morning. I had 13 miles in mind and even stayed off the grog last night to experience that strange old feeling of running without a hangover.

At 7:30 I woke to the sound of rain steadily falling on the conservatory roof and decided to have an extra hour in bed as Metcheck said last night that the rain would cease by 8:30. And sure enough it did. So by 8:45 I was dressed, jelly babies loaded and out the door. Of course, following my dietary pattern of recent weeks I didn’t have any breakfast before I left, stupidly believing that I would make it round on JBs alone (and to be fair I did… in a fashion).

As normal when setting off for a longer run I tried to hold back my pace for the first few miles; and in the main this was successful. The tracks were lovely after the rain with the fresh morning smell reminding me of early mornings in the Lake District and before long I was soaked from brushing against tall grasses, nettles, brambles and low hanging branches but it was lovely.

Then in reasonable time I made it to the top of Blackcap. And for the first time in quite a few weeks I was up there alone… no Sweder, no OutAlongTheRiver (aka Rob), just me and my own thoughts. At least I didn’t have to share my JBs!

But I was also feeling buggered. My legs were reasonably OK, but generally my body felt exhausted. However, I was determined; there was absolutely no cutting this short… the only way was onwards.

The next section took me south and east onto the South Downs Way and downhill for a couple of miles. But frustratingly I just couldn’t pick up any reasonable speed; it was just a plod, one foot in front of the other, all the way down to the bottom of Heart Attach Hill. I did manage to run up HAH without stopping, halting briefly at the top for a couple of JBs before cruising down to the A27 and the Housedean crossing. At this point I was mullered, but as the choice was either a three mile trudge back along the A27 or to carry on over the Downs, I elected to carry on. There was no way I was going to run along the road.

So I hit the Relentless Bastard. When I say ‘hit’ I mean I gave it a gentle poke; when I say ‘gentle poke’, I doubt it even noticed I was there. I managed to get two thirds of the way up before it all got too much and I had to stop and lie down. After five minutes and at risk of falling asleep I eased my weary body back into a vertical position again and slowly made it to the top of the Bastard.

I knew at this point that going for the 13 miles was not a sensible plan, so instead of heading down Castle Hill I turned east to head back home via Kingston. So after a quick word to myself about hunkering down and making the most of the last couple of miles I set off again with a spring in my step (yep, if you looked really closely, there was a tiny spring there) until I was over taken by one of those soddin’ crazy bean pole runners who left me staggering in his wake. Still it was all downhill now as I headed down to Kingston Ridge (when the bastard overtook me again – he did apologise) over Juggs Lane back home.

I was absolutely buggered and the run came to an end without that usual feeling of euphoria. The fabulous progress I made in the first half of June seems to have dissipated. Time to grab hold of my life I think and focus on the things that matter.

10.86 miles, average moving pace of 9:53 min/mi… but over 20 minutes rest time.

Onwards and upwards.
06-07-2014, 02:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2014, 02:20 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(06-07-2014, 01:47 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote: + Running Commentary is unusually quiet – what are you all doing?
  • World Cup
  • Tour de France/Yorkshire
  • Wimbledon!
  • British GP
  • etc.
There ain't no time fo' runnin', brother!
06-07-2014, 02:42 PM,
(06-07-2014, 02:19 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
(06-07-2014, 01:47 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote: + Running Commentary is unusually quiet – what are you all doing?
  • World Cup
  • Tour de France/Yorkshire
  • Wimbledon!
  • British GP
  • etc.
There ain't no time fo' runnin', brother!

Yeah, yeah, yeah... you can add to that list: Lewes FC vs. Brighton & Hove Albion (we only lost by 5 goals - which wasn't bad)

And I still managed a run... Tongue
06-07-2014, 09:44 PM,
RE:
Every diary on this forum is a continuous cycle of fresh starts. That may sound a bit pathetic to outsiders, but I think it's anything but. None of us can manage monk-like devotion to the cause, there are so many pleasant distractions, and of course there's the small matter of earning a living. So welcome to the reboot phase. If you can find the time, it will only take you a few weeks to get back into the swing.

Can I be the first to say: well done for getting back out there.

Oh, and it sounds like a good decision to cut the run short. There will be plenty of other times to do those 2 extra miles. Smile
06-07-2014, 09:46 PM,
RE:
I just noticed a deliberate error in the title of this thread...
07-07-2014, 06:27 AM,
(06-07-2014, 09:46 PM)marathondan Wrote: I just noticed a deliberate error in the title of this thread...

Bugger... problems with my time machine (again)...

(do you know how to correct this?)
09-07-2014, 12:48 PM,
RE:
Good on you for getting out there when every fibre of your being screamed 'NO!' That's the hardest thing to do. As for me, you might get me out for an evening plod one of these days, but it won't be more than 3 or 4 miles. This knee needs sorting, and that will mean prolonged, enforced rest.
10-07-2014, 07:54 PM,
RE: July 1846
Another week of travelling, but I did manage just short of 4 miles along a canal again last night. Not very exciting, but it's time on my feet.
13-07-2014, 04:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 13-07-2014, 06:49 PM by Charliecat5.)
RE: July 2014
Blimey... yesterday evening I decided to set off for a little'un over to Kingston - up the hill and back. I ended up diving down into the Valley of Death and back up Castle Hill Nature reserve before heading home again via Kingston (7.6 miles, 950ft).

It was hot, I was buggered and I had some of the longest rests I think I have ever had. However, lying in the grass at the bottom of Castle Hill for 20 minutes in absolute peace and quiet watching the clouds gently drift along on their own journeys was magical. It reminded me that it's not all about pace and distance; sometimes you just have to make the time to stop and enjoy the beauty and tranquillity that is on our doorstep.

And on the subject of beauty and tranquillity (!), I have decided to sort myself out a bit now... so it's off the grog until the end of the month and a bit of effort to eat more healthily. Undecided

Onwards and upwards
14-07-2014, 07:44 AM,
(13-07-2014, 04:52 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote: It reminded me that it's not all about pace and distance; sometimes you just have to make the time to stop and enjoy the beauty and tranquillity that is on our doorstep.

Amen, brother. Nice one.
14-07-2014, 07:23 PM,
Thumbs Up  RE: July 2011
(13-07-2014, 04:52 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote: It reminded me that it's not all about pace and distance; sometimes you just have to make the time to stop and enjoy the beauty and tranquillity that is on our doorstep.

Quite right, Charlie. Thanks for the reminder.
14-07-2014, 10:06 PM,
Great to read a new voice on here Charliecat! 20 minutes lying in the grass watching the clouds ... I tried that in a race once Big Grin
16-07-2014, 12:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-07-2014, 12:33 PM by Sweder.)
RE:
So look, Mr Le Chat, I've gone and dug myself a bit of a hole on here in recent times. I'm in serious need of a hare-brained loon to train/ share the most ridiculous running adventure with on a trail that makes the Moyleman seem like ParkRun. The good news is it's in Northern Spain, so not too far away/ expensive to get to. Even better news is we have a spy in the camp. Not only that but he's written detailed accounts of the race, his training for the race and split this up into stages. It's all on here in BB's diary under 'Aquilianos' but you don't need to read any of that yet.

Just say 'yes'.
We're talking spring of 2016.
16-07-2014, 09:28 PM,
Couldn't post a "taster" on your diary so I've posted one on mine, have a look, so Charlie Cat, you in? Wink
16-07-2014, 09:48 PM,
(16-07-2014, 09:28 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Couldn't post a "taster" on your diary so I've posted one on mine, have a look, so Charlie Cat, you in? Wink

That taster* as you call it lasts for longer than I can run without cardiac arrest!

*insight to hell

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  July 2016 Charliecat5 2 1,348 23-07-2016, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  My life, I realise suddenly, is July Charliecat5 16 7,185 28-07-2015, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Charliecat5