Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
May 2014
28-05-2014, 02:47 PM,
RE: May 2014
I've always wanted to be an early bird. But when push-comes-to-shove I can never force myself out of bed before 7:30 unless there's a pressing reason. Time to have another go perhaps; it sounds like a great time to be out of the house. I would need a mid-morning snooze though.
29-05-2014, 03:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 29-05-2014, 03:45 PM by El Gordo.)
(28-05-2014, 02:47 PM)glaconman Wrote: I've always wanted to be an early bird. But when push-comes-to-shove I can never force myself out of bed before 7:30 unless there's a pressing reason. Time to have another go perhaps; it sounds like a great time to be out of the house. I would need a mid-morning snooze though.

Maybe not. In my plodding days, the rare pre-work run might deposit me back home feeling like Nick Clegg looked after the Euros. But a bite to eat, a hot shower and some fresh clothes would transform me into some insatiable work monster, eyes bulging and raring to go. Meetings were a revelation. I actually became interested in what other people had to say, and never lost concentration. It must have been even more annoying than usual for colleagues, though for reasons opposite from the usual.

But all that said, yep, it's hard to get out there, especially in the cooler months. You'll have heard this tip before, I'm sure, but the best advice is to have everything ready to go. Kit, shoes, technology (if used), audio preloaded, route decided. The faintest excuse for a delay, the most trivial bit of decision making, even hesitating over which socks to wear, would be enough of an excuse for me to bale out. I had to get out the door as quickly as possible, without thinking. Up and out. That's it.

I'll say this -- that even though the pre-run period might be filled with dread, the post-run buzz was better than anything later in the day.
29-05-2014, 04:35 PM,
(29-05-2014, 03:43 PM)El Gordo Wrote:
(28-05-2014, 02:47 PM)glaconman Wrote: I've always wanted to be an early bird. But when push-comes-to-shove I can never force myself out of bed before 7:30 unless there's a pressing reason. Time to have another go perhaps; it sounds like a great time to be out of the house. I would need a mid-morning snooze though.
I'll say this -- that even though the pre-run period might be filled with dread, the post-run buzz was better than anything later in the day.

I'd agree completely with this... when ever I have been out biking or running at the crack of dawn, I've always had a much more effective day thereafter. Mind you, I'm buggered if I'm getting up at 4:30 for a run. Sweder is on his own for those.

Right, need to dash, have a 4 miler planned to practice my hill running.
29-05-2014, 06:37 PM,
(29-05-2014, 04:35 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote: Right, need to dash, have a 4 miler planned to practice my hill running.

Oi, that's cheating. I'm the one what needs to catch up, innit.
Besides, I'm now sat in the snug at the Ditchling Bull, having tucked away a post-work pint of Revelation and now halfway through a (most agreeable) Bedlam Best.

I've told the bar staff about the TT's Landlord Le Tour brew and they reckon they can get some. My word, just when I'm in sight of redemption, Beelzebub has reared up waving fabulous beer tokens in my face.

Would you Adam and Eve it.
29-05-2014, 07:17 PM,
(29-05-2014, 04:35 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote: I'd agree completely with this... when ever I have been out biking or running at the crack of dawn, I've always had a much more effective day thereafter. Mind you, I'm buggered if I'm getting up at 4:30 for a run. Sweder is on his own for those.

It all rather hinges on work really. I run at 4 a.m. not by choice, but because my work start time dictates it. The earliest I would run on a day off would about 6 a.m. and that is usually dictated by other factors as well, such as weather and so on.

But it is definitely true that an early run sets up your day just wonderfully, and is always worth the effort.
29-05-2014, 10:05 PM,
Bloody great news Sweder.

I know what you're saying Andy. I'm fine once I'm up. It's literally the 3 seconds between being horizontal to being vertical that I have a major problem with. And I don't know if there's a solution to that. It's like I'm back in the womb.
29-05-2014, 10:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 29-05-2014, 11:15 PM by Sweder.)
RE:
I'm loving the early(ier) starts. I get out with the dogs every day before 7. It's the best time of day to be out there, walking or running. And it certainly sets up the day.
30-05-2014, 08:00 AM,
(29-05-2014, 10:05 PM)glaconman Wrote: I know what you're saying Andy. I'm fine once I'm up. It's literally the 3 seconds between being horizontal to being vertical that I have a major problem with. And I don't know if there's a solution to that. It's like I'm back in the womb.

Nicely put. I think we can all relate to that.
30-05-2014, 08:09 AM,
(30-05-2014, 08:00 AM)El Gordo Wrote:
(29-05-2014, 10:05 PM)glaconman Wrote: I know what you're saying Andy. I'm fine once I'm up. It's literally the 3 seconds between being horizontal to being vertical that I have a major problem with. And I don't know if there's a solution to that. It's like I'm back in the womb.

Nicely put. I think we can all relate to that.

The only reason I can do it is because that's exactly how I have to operate on early shift, i.e. just get up and get going because if I think about it at all it's not going to happen. So I just transfer my "got to get up and go to work" mentality to an hour earlier so I can also squeeze in a run.

And you know what? After a few years, it gets less difficult to do.

Thank Christ. Dodgy
30-05-2014, 08:39 AM,
RE:
This is also where the much-maligned spreadsheet, and to some extent the RC forum, come into play. If it's on the plan, and that's the only free window in the day, then it has to be done. Writing the plan is part of programming the subconscious to make it happen, even if the conscious has other ideas (or, at that time of the morning, just doesn't really know what's going on). Likewise, posting an intention on here makes it more likely to become reality.
30-05-2014, 10:55 AM,
(30-05-2014, 08:39 AM)marathondan Wrote: This is also where the much-maligned spreadsheet, and to some extent the RC forum, come into play. If it's on the plan, and that's the only free window in the day, then it has to be done. Writing the plan is part of programming the subconscious to make it happen, even if the conscious has other ideas (or, at that time of the morning, just doesn't really know what's going on). Likewise, posting an intention on here makes it more likely to become reality.

The RC forum has become an important part of my motivation... saying I'm going to do something and then being able to say that I have achieved it, gets me out of the door.
30-05-2014, 11:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 30-05-2014, 11:03 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(30-05-2014, 10:55 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote: The RC forum has become an important part of my motivation... saying I'm going to do something and then being able to say that I have achieved it, gets me out of the door.

Really? You led us to believe it was the beer.
30-05-2014, 11:31 AM,
(30-05-2014, 10:55 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote:
(30-05-2014, 08:39 AM)marathondan Wrote: Likewise, posting an intention on here makes it more likely to become reality.
The RC forum has become an important part of my motivation... saying I'm going to do something and then being able to say that I have achieved it, gets me out of the door.

That's pretty much all that got me through the Connemarathon, that and Chris McDougall's advice. Making rash statements of intent in public is a supreme motivator. You'll notice I haven't made too many on here lately Big Grin
30-05-2014, 11:38 AM,
(30-05-2014, 11:31 AM)Sweder Wrote: Making rash statements of intent in public is a supreme motivator. You'll notice I haven't made too many on here lately Big Grin

So what is next for the Sweder race medal collection?
30-05-2014, 12:07 PM,
(30-05-2014, 11:38 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
(30-05-2014, 11:31 AM)Sweder Wrote: Making rash statements of intent in public is a supreme motivator. You'll notice I haven't made too many on here lately Big Grin

To get to the top of the hill before me! Big Grin
30-05-2014, 12:09 PM,
(30-05-2014, 11:02 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
(30-05-2014, 10:55 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote: The RC forum has become an important part of my motivation... saying I'm going to do something and then being able to say that I have achieved it, gets me out of the door.

Really? You led us to believe it was the beer.

I run, I drink beer. I need motivation for the former but years of hard work and tenacity means I have cracked the motivational issues surrounding the latter.
30-05-2014, 06:32 PM,
(30-05-2014, 11:38 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:

I have a cunning plan, but I'm not ready to share anything here just yet.
In the short term, there's the small matter of the Three Forts challenge laid down by some chap from the colonies. More off-road adventures between now and then.
And then there's the Big One.
31-05-2014, 12:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 31-05-2014, 12:06 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(30-05-2014, 06:32 PM)Sweder Wrote:
(30-05-2014, 11:38 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: So what is next for the Sweder race medal collection?

I have a cunning plan, but I'm not ready to share anything here just yet.
In the short term, there's the small matter of the Three Forts challenge laid down by some chap from the colonies. More off-road adventures between now and then.
And then there's the Big One.

Heavens, if the Three Forts is a 'small' matter, then we must be talking really big... Comrades? Marathon des Sables? Ironman?

I'm wetting myself!
31-05-2014, 11:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 08:53 AM by Sweder.)
Hard Work
Long run on a Saturday? Can six or seven miles be considered a long run?
The times, they are a-changin'

Of course 'long' depends on your condition. It's all relative. In this morning's delicious, muggy, sun-drenched hug that distance felt long enough. I took the low route across Landport Bottom, through the cool woodland shade, up Wicker Man Hill and on to Blackcap. By the time I reached the summit I was soaked in sweat. On the steady climb my mind had filled with all manner of jumbled nonsense. A cacophony of whiny signals from knee, groin and, surprisingly, chest muscles jostled with plans for future runs, local races, distant adventures. As I stood, gasping for air, surveying the fabulous Moyleman vista, the din subsided, replaced by one clear thought: hard work.

Gary Player once said 'the harder I work, the luckier I get'. I've been editing a few old race reports over the last few weeks. One thing that stands out is the amount of hard work that goes into a campaign. Hour after hour of slog in all weather. Pain, fatigue, desperation on the lonely trails. Hard work. When you absolutely, positively want to improve, accept no substitute. Change your shoes, cut your hair, eat all the Chia you can lay your hands on, but if you don't lay the foundations your big race will fall apart. The literary trips down memory lane have left laurel leaf prints on my forearms. It's time to set sail for the undiscovered country.

With that in mind I upped the anti, launching off the Cap towards the stables. Halfway between the two I met CharlieCat. The lad was tooled up, replete with bike-mounted Go-Pro camera and killer shades, ready to traverse the mighty Moyleman. We exchanged a slapped hi-five, barely breaking stride/ pedal. I shot through the gnarled rat-run alongside the gallops, running up the muddy slopes on either side like a slalomed Wall of Death. The dogs lagged behind, tongues lolling. The muddy path was in that perfect state, surface-dry but still moist and yielding beneath.

With the hard work meme in mind I took the all-weather track to what CharlieCat calls 'Sweder's Hill', the perilous flint drop through the hillside fields. With my ancient, thin-soled Mizunos I could feel every bump and stone, eyes scanning feverishly for the rut or rock waiting to hurl me arse over tit. With five miles under my wobbly belt I felt able to deploy the full Chris Moyle. I leant into the drop, opened my stride and had at it. What a ride! I bailed out on the final steep section, partly concerned about ploughing face-first into sharp flint but mostly because I'd spied a family on horse-back at the bottom.

Horses featured heavily on the last climb of the day, the leaf-tunnelled ascent to Houndean Rise and home. Four times I pulled over to harness the hounds as riders passed on the trail. I wasn't worried about the by-now knackered dogs chasing them, but the thought of a thousand pounds of pissed-off horse-flesh going ape-shit in this confined space urged caution.

A good session, many more like it needed before I start to up the mileage.
01-06-2014, 02:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 02:02 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
RE:
Yes, yes, well done and all, but that last bit, "...many more like it needed before I start to up the mileage." Up the mileage to what, we ask?

Hmm.

Comrades Ultra. Must be. He's mentioned it before, more than once, and he qualifies easily for a start. Hmm, yep, bet that's it...!?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  August 2014: Turning Over A New Leaf Sweder 33 21,562 03-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  July 2014 Sweder 29 16,681 03-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  June 2014 Sweder 32 18,187 30-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  April 2014 Sweder 35 21,175 01-05-2014, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  February 2014 Sweder 5 3,572 26-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Last Post: OutAlongTheRiver