Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
July 2009
03-07-2009, 03:26 PM,
July 2009
Thursday 2nd July 2009 - Riddlesden Hillclimb - 2.4 miles about 700 feet ascent.

This was a timed run which could be done on bike or foot. I was planning to do this on my pushbike but after roping a few work colleagues in I thought it was only fair to run with them. Cycling wouldn't be any easier but it would be over a few minutes sooner. I'm not sure what the temp and humidity was last night but it made for an interesting test.

There were prizes for the best estimate and I went for 23:30 but managed 21:07. So I was well-pleased. The winner was there in 16:30 which is some effort. A pint and free chilli in the pub at the end of it made it another good night.
04-07-2009, 08:50 AM,
July 2009
21 minutes and 200 plus metres ascent, .. that's good climbing.

Talking of climbing, it starts today. What do you reckon..will he? won't he?
And will the Astana team back Contador or Armstrong? ...we'll probably know after the first time trial.
04-07-2009, 10:31 AM,
July 2009
Cheers BB. I think it will be remarkable if he does. But he's no ordinary cyclist. Yes, my understanding is that Contador starts as leader but form within the race will ultimately dictate that position.

I've enjoyed following Armstrong's comeback and have follwed him on livestrong.com and twitter. It's created some drama. Plus there's the Brits to watch. And I like the route with a huge mountain finish as early as stage 7 and Ventoux as the penultimate stage. Great stuff.

It's funny but whilst I've given-up taking much interest in most professional sport this race never fails to excite. Just got to find out which channel it's on this year.
04-07-2009, 12:06 PM,
July 2009
glaconman Wrote:Just got to find out which channel it's on this year.

ITV4, starting 4.30 today.

I decided the other other day that I would try to follow the Tour this year. I've shown little interest in previous years but there's something noble about this event that I can't ignore, and I want to try to understand it better. I suppose Armstrong reappearing has added some extra spice.

Armstrong was second favourite last time I noticed - a few days ago.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
04-07-2009, 11:28 PM,
July 2009
Good on you EG.

Cycling (as far as the grand tours is concerned) is a more complex and fascinating sport than at first meets the eye. As with The Wire, give it 3 episodes and you'll be in.
05-07-2009, 06:45 AM,
July 2009
Following the tour is a bit like appreciating the work of Raoul Duke.
You just have to see past the drugs ...

I certainly appreciate the endeavour; after all, the endurance required to get through the stages day after day makes a marathon look like walk in the park. But as a live sporting spectacle the whole thing leaves me flat. I feel there's something else I should be doing when I'm sat watching which, I guess, is as clear an indication as you can get that I'm not fully engaged*.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm feeling slightly twisted just at the moment. We set sail for Bewl in 45 minutes and I'm feeling as naked and unprepared as I ever have for a running event. Fear and self-loathing at the breakfast table you might say. It's an ugly scene, made worse by the fact I'll be traveling to and fro in a wagon full of svelt, honed athletes.

[SIZE="1"]*I imagine that's much how many people view cricket Big Grin [/SIZE]

Phil E. Stein

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

05-07-2009, 01:30 PM,
July 2009
Well, I wouldn't worry about it. You are more knowledgeable on a wider range of sports than the average guy, and your personal magic sponge must be filled to capacity without worrying about mopping another load of drama and anxiety.

As GM says, I think if I can stick with it for a few days, I'll be in.Once you get interested in the placings, and how each stage affects the overall standingssome sort of momentum of interest builds. I watched a big chunk of yesterday's time trial but the more directly competitive stuff will be more exciting.

I also (and this might be a bit girly) like seeing the places they travel through.
El Gordo

05-07-2009, 06:48 PM,
July 2009
Sounds like getting out and around is the important thing today Sweder. Hope it went well.

I wouldn't recommend watching Le Tour live. The 60 minute evening shows are all you need.
06-07-2009, 12:06 AM,
July 2009
glaconman Wrote:I wouldn't recommend watching Le Tour live. The 60 minute evening shows are all you need.

I'm shocked. Truly shocked. Eek

Perhaps your coverage isn't as astonishing fabulous as ours, but in all honesty I find the full coverage so engrossing that I can no longer watch the highlights packages. This is a problem, as of course le tour is overnight here. But hey, we all make sacrifices I guess.

Wimbledon/Ashes/Le Tour/Rugby & Aussie Rules football getting to the business end of their seasons ... what an amazing time to be alive. Smile
Run. Just run.
06-07-2009, 03:28 PM,
July 2009
Sunday 5th July : Keighley - St Ives - Harden - Bingley - Keighley Golf Club - Utley : approx 11.5 miles.

Another long run banked allowing me the next couple of weeks to concentrate on the shorter stuff if-and-when I get time. This route does some early damage, lets you recover then asks you to hang on for quite a while. Thankfully the tennis went into 5 sets and I was able to remain immobile for much of the afternoon. Mojito, The Wire then bed.

ps. MLCM, I'm not sure if I can defend my statement about The Tour to an Australian. We would probably both need to study anthropology for 3 years just to get the conversation started Wink

Attached Files
.jpg   routeElev.JPG (Size: 5.8 KB / Downloads: 31)
06-07-2009, 04:18 PM,
July 2009
That looks like a nice big hill you've got there next to Keighley.

If I've read this right it looks like Armstrong has just attacked a member of his own team...right at the beginning of the TourEek. Fireworks delivered ... a disaster for Contador in terms of morale more than in terms of time lost (a team leader without the support of his team) and the start of what could be a very interesting couple of weeks...the grizzly old Texan is going for it.
08-07-2009, 02:12 PM,
July 2009
Yes BB, a fascinating stage. Let's hope the racing for yellow goes all the way to Ventoux.

Tuesday 7th July approx 5k

Just a short run intended to stretch my legs. I tried to inject abit of pace during the mid-part of the run but got caught-out with a stitch half-way. Not sure I understand this phenomenon. I hadn't eaten for about 8 hours. Always seems like abit of a random occurence.
09-07-2009, 02:46 AM,
July 2009
glaconman Wrote:I tried to inject abit of pace during the mid-part of the run but got caught-out with a stitch half-way. Not sure I understand this phenomenon. I hadn't eaten for about 8 hours. Always seems like abit of a random occurence.

I quite agree - there doesn't seem to be much rhyme nor reason to them, does there?
Run. Just run.
10-07-2009, 10:40 AM,
July 2009
First mountain stage today.

Armstrong could take the yellow jersey... but will Contador try to get his own back and attack? and Leipheimer? (will probably help Armstrong... or will Armstrong end up helping him?) ....Sastre? ...Cadel Evans?

I hadn't realized that Ventoux was the penulimate stage. Potentially this is the best Tour for years...Cool
10-07-2009, 10:45 AM,
July 2009
Agreed BB. I can't wait for todays stage to get going. Contador looks like the man to take the stage for me.

Thursday 10th July - Club run approx 6-7 miles - flat

A good run split into 3 sections, winding up the pace at the end of each one. Felt like I had some spring in my step for a change. But running faster than half marathon pace still feels abit odd.
10-07-2009, 10:07 PM,
July 2009
Bierzo Baggie Wrote:First mountain stage today.

Armstrong could take the yellow jersey... but will Contador try to get his own back and attack? and Leipheimer? (will probably help Armstrong... or will Armstrong end up helping him?) ....Sastre? ...Cadel Evans?

Well, what a stage. Contador looked great, but so did Armstrong, who matched everything Cadel Evans tried to throw at him... You have to feel sorry for Cadel: twice runner-up in the Tour and once again having to contend with an astonishingly powerful-looking Armstrong.

I'm kind of hoping though that someone like Contador will prove too strong, as he did today. Some fresh blood (hopefully still clean) would be fantastic for the race and the sport generally.
Run. Just run.
11-07-2009, 06:22 AM,
July 2009
I've marvelled at the spectacle of the TdF so far, though there's plenty about it that I don't understand, like the teamwork (both between them all, and within the actual teams), and the scoring. I'll get there eventually, but it's a learning curve even steeper than some of those mountain stretches I've been gaping at.

(And wasn't Barcelona simply gorgeous darling? Big Grin)
El Gordo

11-07-2009, 01:04 PM,
July 2009
Glaconman, I hope you don’t mind your training diary being converted into an occasional Tour de France meeting point… after all, you’re the one who has ridden up Ventoux Cool

El Gordo Wrote:I've marvelled at the spectacle of the TdF so far, though there's plenty about it that I don't understand, like the teamwork (both between them all, and within the actual teams

Andy, each team has a team leader. If your team leader has a chance of winning the Tour, the rest of the team will work for that objective. They’ll protect their lead rider, neutralize breakaways by rivals, etc..

What makes this Tour unique is that the strongest team, Astana, has two leaders, Contador and Armstrong. The guy who normally makes all the tactical decisions is the team manager who rides around in the car. In the case of Astana it’s officially Johan Bruyneel who pulls the shots… but everybody knows it’s really Armstrong.

Now, a team leader can change mid-race (in 97 a young Jan Ullrich dropped back to ask the team manager for permission to attack fat-arse Bernie Riis, his team leader and ended up winning the race) but I don’t think we’ve ever seen two yellow jersey contenders from the same team scrapping it out in the very first week totally oblivious to the guy in the car!

I reckon Armstrong will eventually support Contador but he’s going to make it hell for him if he can… the wily old fox wants a worthy successor.

Revelation of the Tour so far ...Bradley Wiggins.
11-07-2009, 04:03 PM,
July 2009
Thanks BB -- that's helpful. I didn't realise that a bloke in a car has that direct an influence mid-race. Yep, I've picked up on the 'tension' between Armstrong and Contador, which adds to the fun.

It's still a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma though, as Churchill opined on the subject. Or was he talking about mastering the art of predictive texting? The different competitions, the jerseys, the stage types, the tactics in the final few kilometres -- it's an opaque minestrone, but I'm lovin' it. Main emotion though is just a sense of awe at the speed and power of these guys.

Oh yes, sorry for the thread hijack GM -- sounds like you're running really well at the moment. Good man. Glad someone is keeping the participatory flag flying while the rest of us are stapled to our armchairs. (Though I have at least been doing some walking this week. It's a start....)
El Gordo

11-07-2009, 07:05 PM,
July 2009
No problem chaps, I'm not going to complain about Tour Talk. I've got Tour Fever like the rest of you. In fact, I even watched most of today's stage live despite my previous comments and thoroughly enjoyed it.

EG, I think it might be worth reiterating the amount of effort it takes to ride alone vs. in a group. Even if there's only 2 of you cycling, tucking in behind the other rider will save you 25%. This is particularly true on the flatter stages and when there's a head-wind. Somebody can have 15 minutes on the peleton, but if they decide to work together they'll just eat that lead-up (remember David Millar at 1km to go). And that's where domestiques come in: they work for the leader. If he has a puncture they'll drop back and pace him back to the group. If another contender is in a breakaway they'll work at the front of the peleton to reel them in. That's why mountain stages and time-trials tend to be decisive because you can make more time independently without the influence of the group affecting your performance.

I can't argue with what's been said. It's great to see Wiggins up there; and I think Amstrong in the team can only make Contador stronger in the long-run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  July glaconman 5 1,382 30-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Last Post: glaconman
  July 2015 glaconman 2 2,701 28-07-2015, 08:39 PM
  JULY 2014 glaconman 11 6,058 17-08-2014, 07:07 PM
  August 2009 glaconman 14 7,029 10-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  June 2009 glaconman 18 8,639 02-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man